Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase 2010 - Day 14 Discussion

Paul Sherman

Posted

A huge collective sigh of relief from across the pond. Delighted that you are all okay. I think an early call off is a sensible decision.

Posted

Hi Guys

We are fine - Had an amazing Chase Day.

Bagged a Great Wizard of Oz Tornado West of Medford then saaw the Wedge that barrelled across I-35. Incredible Damage behind that Tornado, saw another into Kansas. Now just sitting West of the Line NW Of Tulsa. Going to call it off soon and grab a room

Ian

Good stuff Ian. You guys had an awesome day. Great to hear ye are OK. Just watching Channel 4 OK. Looks like a good bit of damage done not far off Norman,

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Glad you're ok guys and bagged some tornadoes, what a manic day!!!

Good news is there is slight risk over Oklahoma tomorrow and again on Wednesday, going to be a busy week!

On another note, dryline shows up nicely stretching from OK City SW through Texas (as the thin line):

post-1052-12735371927157_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

its nearly on the ground! what a find!

He's reversing now - wonder if this is going to be another?

Phew, glad to hear the team are fine - looks like hell on earth out there judging by all the footage.

Edited by dvdfjojo

Posted

Clip of wedge tornado near Hunnewell on KS/OK border near I-35, from the tornadic supercell the team followed from Cherokee earlier this evening: http://www.kake.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4773783&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Posted

Hey Ian

I'm glad to hear you guys are ok and that you guys bagged a few trunks and a wedge today, well done guys.

I was wondering roughly how big that wedge tornado was because on the radar it looked as though it was close to a mile wide or more at 1 point, as the radar image of the hook blob, litterally had a very well defined 'eye' in it's core and so I couldn't help thinking that it must've been a monster.

I just heard that there is a tornado that is still on the ground in OK somewhere and has been for about an hour now, definitely a hectic day already and it'll be interesting to find out just how many touchdowns there have been by the end of the day.

Posted

Really is some incredible damage being shown on Sky5 stream now, with houses completely wiped out. Will be interesting to find out what the rating for these tornadoes comes out as - probably strong EF3-EF4 going by the damage I'm seeing.

I was thinking the same thing.

Alot of the damage looks to have been around EF2/EF3, but as you say there are definitely spots with damage that looks to be around Mod-Strong EF4, especially since some houses shown on Sky5 have been leveled, which is pretty intense.

I really hope in all my heart that there has been no fatalities anywhere from today's tornado outbreak.

Posted

I really hope in all my heart that there has been no fatalities anywhere from today's tornado outbreak.

I believe there has been 1 so far from an emergency managers office, so pretty much confirmed unfortunately. Cant quiet remember the exact location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I'm in Muskogee at the moment. Jumped on what became the Medford cell early (I'd been sat in that town for about 2 hours!). I actually got on it well east of there, just as it was Tor warned. Didn't appear to be any justification at the time as it was high based with no wall cloud, just an intense precipitation shaft. I took some structure shots and headed east back to Medford. Saw a funnel in my rear view mirror occasionally and I think it touched down but I'd have to check the reports. Got North of Medford and witnessed the crazy wedge barrel through. Thing was moving so fast, I barely got any shots or video before I was back on the road. This time, I got stuck in a chaser traffic jam behind some old dear and couldn't keep up. I dropped south to Ponca City, but got cored trying to break through to jump on that tornado. IT moved across the riveer before I got through the core and I had no more east road option. Headed to Tulsa and then south to Okmulgee county. Was racing a tornado warned supercell to the north as it was moving Due East. I was getting a bit of a lead on it and again, my East road option ended with a north/south road. I hadn't had a new scan for 10 minutes, so didn't risk trying to get in front of it. Headed north and booked in here at Muskogee. AS it happens, I got a net connection back here, and the circulation was still west of where I would have cleared the core, so I could have made it :shok:... Wasn't going to take any risks though as it would have been pretty close!

Edited by Gorky

Posted

hi all heading back to norman for the night the guys have been looking at there pictures and we have pics of the barrel wedge tornado and also a nice cone tornado from the medford supercell wich they will post up once we get to the hotel what a day :shok:

Ian

Posted

Cant wait guys. Ye must be knackered. be sure to grab a beer and hopefully a good meal although at this stage it might be pizza at the hotel, either sounds like you guys and gall had a fantastic day. Me is a bit jealous to be honest. Is Pat's head still attached to his body? I'm pretty sure it probably went boom a few hours ago.

Posted

Hi Guys, we got out in one peice!!! after leaving our hotel in Enid we sat patently on the lower risk play just SE of Shawnee and jumped on the big one as it approuched but sadley this thing like all the rest was moving like a blinking train we knew it was down and was deadly raced passed it at Seminole as Vortex team shot away after a deployment of one of there tripds trees every blinking where but we sat just south of it as it went on by no visual but circulating clouds above very strong winds and violent CGs as it passed, then another cell was on a direct course for us and some scared familys at a gas station it started to show the same shape and size of the long track which had just passed with several rotations on the Baron we decided we had to shift and squeeze between 2 supercells leading us and the 2 famlilys to safty and clear air phew disapointed not to see the dam thing as it was sooo close but it was just to dangerous and moving to fast to risk it getting any closer :-( pleased to get the target zone correct as it was away from the main play with better torrain and a bit of luck we would have seen it, never mind theres always another day.

Edited by stevestorms