Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

This is a good SE summer, i think it will turn out to get a place in the books for a good one, but i really really want you northern areas to at least have a warm sunny high, why cant the whole uk get the azores high? its flirting with us in the south giving hot spells and keeps coming back , i think this is the pattern and eventually when things are right the high will settle right across the uk.

It's been great.. who knows how much hotter it could have gotten if high pressure had been positioned more to our east though? Most of our 30C days have come from ridges from the azores high..

Posted

Looks very very poor for any nice weather anytime soon here with the high pressure in the worst position will mean mean a never ending trail of cloud moving through the Chesire Gap bringing drizzly and poor temperatures.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs12612.gif

This low cloud chart sums it up perfectly.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Hopefully an improvement tomorrow with temps recovering to the right side of 20c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I can't even begin to imagine 11.1C in July.. that must be pretty hard to reach, seeing as we are 150 miles or so away from you?

The equivalent for you would be 13°C (10°C below average for London). It was actually 13°C here yesterday, some 8°C below average, with a cold breeze and heavy drizzle. Worst day this summer!

Posted

Noting how Yorkshire can do quite well for temps compared to much of the rest of N England particularly here in Cumbria this month is a case in point-

There has been a major contrast in maximum temps so far this month between Cumbria and much of west and east yorkshire. We have yet to see a maximum of 21 degrees this month and most days have seen maxes between 16-19 degrees which is preety poor. All down to the cloud and frontal rain which has draped itself over the county and the predominantly westerly/south westerly airstream which when in situ kills the british summer here in Cumbria. Yorkshire has done preety well this month especially the east apart from a couple of days when winds have been in the north to south east quadrant it has been sheltered from the westerly and south westerly airstream and most frontal rain has drifted in from the Irish Sea and headed NE instead of eastwards or when it has done the latter all energy has been squeezed from them by the Pennines.

Doesn't really surprise me really that your (and many other) location(s) have experienced supressed temperatures, yesterday has proved alone that cloud cover can really suppress temps, with a constant feed of cloud and rain it is to be expected. Hopefully a week or so of temperatures in twenty's under high-pressure, but I'm becoming rather dubious as to whether the north can achieve such a spell, no doubt SE will see further ridges of high pressure but further north you go the higher the uncertainty.

Also so far July's max is 26.1c so quite a difference in temperatures, we have seen temperatures of 25.c+ four times this July, six out of 22 days have seen maxes not surpass 20.c.

Max of 20.c with a dew point of 6.c, which seems very low for DP.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Dew point is only 9c here too which is prob why it doesn't 'feel' very warm (that and the constant cloud which has now finally lifted).

Sort of weather that just isn't quite good enough to count as summer feeling - even with the sun we've finally got. Too little too late I think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Dew point is only 9c here too which is prob why it doesn't 'feel' very warm (that and the constant cloud which has now finally lifted).

Sort of weather that just isn't quite good enough to count as summer feeling - even with the sun we've finally got. Too little too late I think!

Certainly a different feel to things today with quite a cool breeze making it feel very unsummery. The sun has been out for much of the day so i dont know why i'm moaning. Probably because we've been spoilt with warmth so far this summer.

Posted

I had to do something I didn't want to do.. I had to put a light jacket on as I walked home from the pub just now! Not worn it in ages now and I can't say I miss wrapping up in clothes - gimme a humidity warmth jacket any night of the week! 14.7c out there now - gimme ~20c for this time of night to make it feel like real summer.

Posted

I think the last time I needed to wear a jacket was in early May.. since then it's been shorts short sleeves all the way! My room is still quite warm after the warmth we've had recently so I keep my windows wide open at night to get to sleep..

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

You people are wimps it was 2c here last night!

Posted

You people are wimps it was 2c here last night!

You can keep that! This time of year it should be 18c+ at all times in my book! Sub 6c belongs to Nov-March.

Posted

Man it must be such a drag having the massive upheaval of wearing a light jacket. I don't think any one would want to be put in that position.

You're right - I'm not quite sure how I'll get over it... It was so dusty too after being undisturbed for over 2 months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

You're right - I'm not quite sure how I'll get over it... It was so dusty too after being undisturbed for over 2 months.

Well I'm bloody chuffed as I've just bought a light jacket in the Toast sale and now I can wear it without feeling like a boil in the bag ready meal. 8)

Posted

You can keep that! This time of year it should be 18c+ at all times in my book! Sub 6c belongs to Nov-March.

I'll drink to that! Although in my ideal world it would be 18C+ all year round! 8)

Posted

I dont think Id ever sleep in summer if every night was 18C+! However in all honesty, nights are rarely too cold here during the summer months, with single-figure minima uncommon.

It did feel a lot cooler today - more like a nice early June day, but it was very welcome. I find such days a relief in summer as it allows me to have all the windows open and the breeze blows all of the warm air out of the house. My room temperature is now a comfortable 21C instead of the 28-30C it climbs too during warmer spells.

It could well be the first single figure temperature here since mid-June tonight, already down to 11.0C.

Posted

Think my view of 18c+ all summer is swayed by both my house and temp readings. I've often been getting 16-17c nights (which is more reasonable than 18c+!) but my readings are definitely not official as the sensor is located in a small courtyard that holds the heat. So perhaps realistically I like 14-15c mins!

Since my house has no trouble at all cooling off then I'll keep warm nights - it only takes one sunless day max around 15-16c with a nippy east wind on and the we're all windows closed and the shorts go back in the drawer. Poor insulation, thick brick walls makes for pleasant summers and painfully cold winters unlike many modern UK homes where it is often the other way round!

Posted

Think my view of 18c+ all summer is swayed by both my house and temp readings. I've often been getting 16-17c nights (which is more reasonable than 18c+!) but my readings are definitely not official as the sensor is located in a small courtyard that holds the heat. So perhaps realistically I like 14-15c mins!

Since my house has no trouble at all cooling off then I'll keep warm nights - it only takes one sunless day max around 15-16c with a nippy east wind on and the we're all windows closed and the shorts go back in the drawer. Poor insulation, thick brick walls makes for pleasant summers and painfully cold winters unlike many modern UK homes where it is often the other way round!

Indeed, that sounds very similar to my parent's 1850s cottage, extremely cold in winter but never very warm in summer - not unheard of for them to have the heating on in June early in the morning! I think houses these days are so geared towards energy efficiency and keeping heat in that they are unbearable in summer.

Posted

I prefer cool nights than warm humid sticky nights, in my opinion 18C is NOT welcomed and thankfully its a rare occurance this far north.

I certainly felt a chill in the air on Friday morning, not helped by wearing a t-shirt but it was justified later on in the day as the temperature has risen.

I'm starting to notice the nights are now drawing in even when its not cloudy! For me at first, its depressing losing daylight everyday but as we head through into Autumn and then winter, i kind of like the dark evenings and mornings.

Posted

I'm starting to notice the nights are now drawing in even when its not cloudy! For me at first, its depressing losing daylight everyday but as we head through into Autumn and then winter, i kind of like the dark evenings and mornings.

I hate the dark mornings when i have to get up early. Waking up at 6am and it being light makes it much easier to get up and out of bed. When its still dark it makes you feel like you should still be asleep.

On drab, dull winter days i also like the fact that the sun sets so early as it puts me out of my misery of having to look outside at it.

Posted

After a cooler night last night, it's back to normal tonight as it's a warm 17c at midnight :D

Posted

Another very warm day continuing the great summer here. A max so far of 25.3c before cloud amounts increased. We seem to have reached 25c on so many occasions here which is quite remarkable for how close we are to the North sea.

Posted

Majorly jealous, its only been 19c here today and the sun hasn't come out for more than 30 seconds, drizzly and grim.

The charts are showing wet weather over Crete and a heatwave here in 2 weeks time when im in Crete, that would be the worst luck ever :wallbash: