Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted

We have not seen the sun all day here in Central London, though it is still warming up quite nicely,

There are some good breaks working into CS England so that should change in a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very oppressive feeling day here with some hazy sunshine but mostly cloudy and very sticky. It's a struggle to get a proper lungful of fresh air!

Dew point only 12c@25c (26.1c max today) so doesn't seem like it should feel this close...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We certainly arent doing badly considering we are supposed to be right in the middle of the much talked about unsettled spell this week. Its been sunny and warm for much of the day so far. A very warm day Monday followed by a cloudy but dry day yesterday and now this. Not a bad week up to now.

Posted

didnt realise there was a mobile phone version of netweather, anyway quite mild and humid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes a decent day here too - less humid and with ample sunshine (unlike yesterday) and still remaining nice and warm. 24.3c our max so right where I like it to be!

I really will miss this almost reliably warm weather when autumn kicks in that's for sure - it's made life so much easier!

Posted

Another 25+ deg C day here today, warm, low humidity, scattered clouds, no sign of showers or rain of any description.

A week since the last rain, despite the "unsettled" week we are suffering.

Posted

What has set this summer apart from the previous 3 is the seperate instances of dry, warm weather and theres potentially a lot more to come. Late May saw a gradual build up to a couple of very warm/hot days on the 23rd/24th. The beginning of June saw another warm spell. Then came the more prolonged one in late June, early July. And finally the one were just coming out of at the moment with 29c being achieved on Monday and Tuesday.

Compare that up to the same point in the last 3 summers. In 2008 especially we would be yet to experience any decent settled weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

It's been great down here so far.. I think I must have about 30 days of 25C so far this summer, not including May! And more than 10 days of 30C including May..

Posted

Yes a decent day here too - less humid and with ample sunshine (unlike yesterday) and still remaining nice and warm. 24.3c our max so right where I like it to be!

I really will miss this almost reliably warm weather when autumn kicks in that's for sure - it's made life so much easier!

Im hearing quite a lot of complaints from many people now (even those who love hot weather) about the nights especially. Certainly here the average minimum temperature this July is currently higher than any month in my 28 years of records. The daytime temperatures are mostly alright and the number of dry days are also popular, but it has been near enough constant since mid-June and a cooler week or so would be most welcome.

Certainly for me its making life far less easier as Im struggling to sleep, especially so between night shifts and Im getting broken and poor quality sleep, resulting in lethargy and constant headaches. Im looking forward to early Autumn now as even during warm spells then its rarely unpleasant.

Posted

There have been a few warm nights here in the past month, 18C last night, compared to the average of 14C here.. most of the time it's been between 15-17C which has made it hard to sleep in considering it's still in the low 20s at midnight sometimes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

As said by others, the nights are hard to get to sleep until at least the early hrs, i enjoyed wednesdays feel as it was just right and deep blue mostly clear sky and not to hot and evenings ok. a cooler night tonight but not in my flat, it holds the heat!

Posted

I see uncomfortable nights as the drawback for the gloriously warm evenings we've had recently but its a price i'm willing to pay. I'd much rather have that than have to put on an extra layer when going outside in the evening. Being able to wear shorts and t-shirt at 9pm is what summers all about IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's been alright in Norwich because here skies have often been clear and humidity low, so it has stayed warm into the evenings, but once the sun goes down the heat tapers off, making it comfortable for sleeping in- best of both worlds really. But I can imagine that in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, with more in the way of cloud and humidity, nights will have been anomalously warm resulting in those uncomfortable conditions for sleeping.

Posted

Quite surprised to see the current temperature at 12.2c, more-so as it isn't raining, just overcast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

0.00001 mm of rain again for all of 30 seconds and the sun's out despite the Met O severe weather warning covering the midlands and EA.

What are they ON? :girl_devil:

Posted

Quite surprised to see the current temperature at 12.2c, more-so as it isn't raining, just overcast.

Yes a very different day today with a current temperature of 15.7C and a strong breeze. Im making full use of it though by having all of the windows open in an effort to get rid of the heat the house has been holding.

Current indoor temperature is 20.3C - much better!

Posted

Yes a very different day today with a current temperature of 15.7C and a strong breeze. Im making full use of it though by having all of the windows open in an effort to get rid of the heat the house has been holding.

Current indoor temperature is 20.3C - much better!

The climate of parts of Yorkshire has more a kin to the SE of England than the rest of Northern England at times.

At the request the of other half I've had the heating on a couple of times.

Edited by Tucco

Posted

Yorkshire tends to get the best of both worlds, in Summer we get the heat the south gets and in winter the cold the North (& sometimes) south gets.

Posted

Yorkshire tends to get the best of both worlds, in Summer we get the heat the south gets and in winter the cold the North (& sometimes) south gets.

I wouldn't be surprised if places like Doncaster had an annual average higher than some places in SE.

Posted

Just 21C today.. feeling rather chilly today as it is a rare below average day for this summer! However, the sun has come out from time to time and it hasn't been a terrible day of just grey cloud..

Posted

Just 21C today.. feeling rather chilly today as it is a rare below average day for this summer! However, the sun has come out from time to time and it hasn't been a terrible day of just grey cloud..

I honestly don't know how you survive in the south east, I mean 1.8c below average, I'm surprised you haven't frozen to death....

Anyway 11.1.c here so 10.c below average.

Posted

I honestly don't know how you survive in the south east, I mean 1.8c below average, I'm surprised you haven't frozen to death....

Anyway 11.1.c here so 10.c below average.

Trust me, after weeks of 25C+ it feels a lot cooler than it actually is! It's not really cool, just with the wind and when the sun isn't out it caught me off guard in my shorts and T shirt! :clap:

I can't even begin to imagine 11.1C in July.. that must be pretty hard to reach, seeing as we are 150 miles or so away from you?

Edited by robthefool

Posted

Trust me, after weeks of 25C+ it feels a lot cooler than it actually is! It's not really cool, just with the wind and when the sun isn't out it caught me off guard in my shorts and T shirt! :clap:

I can't even begin to imagine 11.1C in July.. that must be pretty hard to reach, seeing as we are 150 miles or so away from you?

Records on the weather station only go back a few years but since 2007 the coldest July day, we did see a high of 12.c a few days ago, but generally temperatures have been in the low to mid twenty's for most of July, so two surprisingly cool days.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Records on the weather station only go back a few years but since 2007 the coldest July day, we did see a high of 12.c a few days ago, but generally temperatures have been in the low to mid twenty's for most of July, so two surprisingly cool days.

Noting how Yorkshire can do quite well for temps compared to much of the rest of N England particularly here in Cumbria this month is a case in point-

There has been a major contrast in maximum temps so far this month between Cumbria and much of west and east yorkshire. We have yet to see a maximum of 21 degrees this month and most days have seen maxes between 16-19 degrees which is preety poor. All down to the cloud and frontal rain which has draped itself over the county and the predominantly westerly/south westerly airstream which when in situ kills the british summer here in Cumbria. Yorkshire has done preety well this month especially the east apart from a couple of days when winds have been in the north to south east quadrant it has been sheltered from the westerly and south westerly airstream and most frontal rain has drifted in from the Irish Sea and headed NE instead of eastwards or when it has done the latter all energy has been squeezed from them by the Pennines.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

This is a good SE summer, i think it will turn out to get a place in the books for a good one, but i really really want you northern areas to at least have a warm sunny high, why cant the whole uk get the azores high? its flirting with us in the south giving hot spells and keeps coming back , i think this is the pattern and eventually when things are right the high will settle right across the uk.