Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

so you never got constant weeks of rain in the last 3 wet summers when the jet was south for the entire summers. i find that hard to believe looking at your location. places in the south of england in 2007 and 2008 probably got weeks of constant rain and they are much nearer to the continent.

and looking at the year in general for ireland and hearing other irish posters, it has been dry in ireland before july for several months, so i have no idea why you are complaining.

Thats also another reason to complain, that i have had 3 wet summers so far and i want restbite, and it surely isn't nice to see them get a good summer AGAIN, i think they need some rain for now and they are even moaning about it, (but when they get it they'll moan about it i can guarntee you that and that is only after a day of rain!) and why can't it be dry here for july if england can be dry and it the ones on this irish weather forum are complaining that they are having drought conditions but tbh they aren't its about average for here (so all in all it has rained more than they are saying.- they are only saying its dry because they didn't get their 200 days of rain, its above average here.)

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I do have to admit, looking at the general idea on the models, I am increasingly concerned that 25C is something that I won't see again at any stage of this summer from now on. It sounds pessimistic perhaps but the NW-SE split on the models is fairly pronounced. Even in an average summer there should be a fair few helpings of 25C (even up north).

If it continues, this second half to summer will be down with some of the worst, although not as bad as the last three years, but overall, because of the first half it will be fairly average which is better than the last two.

Notice I'm talking as if I'm analysing summer at the end, well that's because I believe the summer in terms of notable heat is perhaps over in the the northwestern districts of England. (Dont confuse that with summers over, as it clearly isn't)

Posted

Well of course we are going to get hotter weather here.. in London the average July max is 22-23C and the average min is 13-14C.. quite a bit higher than in NI. We are also more prone to getting much hotter weather into the high 20s and 30s more easily because we are close to the continent.. You can't expect somewhere a few hundred miles north west in the firing cylinder of the atlantic to get hot weather!

hear hear and i have no idea why he always refers to ballycastle in these arguements, which he has done a few times LOL.what has it got to do with this argument?

Thats also another reason to complain, that i have had 3 wet summers so far and i want restbite, and it surely isn't nice to see them get a good summer AGAIN, i think they need some rain for now and they are even moaning about it, (but when they get it they'll moan about it i can guarntee you that and that is only after a day of rain!) and why can't it be dry here for july if england can be dry and it the ones on this irish weather forum are complaining that they are having drought conditions but tbh they aren't its about average for here (so all in all it has rained more than they are saying.- they are only saying its dry because they didn't get their 200 days of rain, its above average here.)

how do you know they are saying its dry because they havent had there usual falls of rain. i read a lot into the models and can understand why some folk in ireland have said it has been quite dry. the amount of days it has rained, doesnt mean has been wetter than average. it could rain everyday of the whole month and be classed as below average. obviously your definition of rainfall is different to many people because you count the amount of days it rains and obviously not the ammount of ppn.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

I do have to admit, looking at the general idea on the models, I am increasingly concerned that 25C is something that I won't see again at any stage of this summer from now on. It sounds pessimistic perhaps but the NW-SE split on the models is fairly pronounced. Even in an average summer there should be a fair few helpings of 25C (even up north).

If it continues, this second half to summer will be down with some of the worst, although not as bad as the last three years, but overall, because of the first half it will be fairly average which is better than the last two.

Notice I'm talking as if I'm analysing summer at the end, well that's because I believe the summer in terms of notable heat is perhaps over in the the northwestern districts of England. (Dont confuse that with summers over, as it clearly isn't)

I'm not sure why Stephen but over recent weeks you have become very negative in how summer may turn out for your area, quite how you can predict the next 6 weeks with such certainty I'm not sure, I certainly cannot. And yes I note your comment its about 'heat' you are talking of. How many days, on average, do you experience 25C or more? How does this year so far compare with that average?

Posted

hear hear and i have no idea why he always refers to ballycastle in these arguements, which he has done a few times LOL.what has it got to do with this argument?

how do you know they are saying its dry because they havent had there usual falls of rain. i read a lot into the models and can understand why some folk in ireland have said it has been quite dry. the amount of days it has rained, doesnt mean has been wetter than average. it could rain everyday of the whole month and be classed as below average. obviously your definition of rainfall is different to many people because you count the amount of days it rains and obviously not the ammount of ppn.

Well the rain is above average here and below average their because they are getting our rain, they make such a fuss about it aswell , sure the grass will be back in the winter again.

Posted

Well the rain is above average here and below average their because they are getting our rain, they make such a fuss about it aswell , sure the grass will be back in the winter again.

how pathetic! the grass is gonna grow back, we arent in spain or arizona!

Posted

Northern Ireland hottest summer on record (since 1914) was 2006 at 15.2c. 1976 was second at 15.0c

Compare that to the south east's warmest summer which is 18.0c in 1976.

Clearly Northern Ireland is far more susceptible to cool wet spells than the south east. Those statistic show it's almost always far warmer in the south east then the North West. And so the weather experienced across Northern Ireland is typical of a relatively warm summer.

Ooops actually 1995 is Northern Irelands warmest summer at 15.8c. Still a huge difference to the south east.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Chaps lets not get quite so hot headed and keep our cool (even if it is only 14c and raining where you are :drinks: )

Posted

so if they can get why can't we. Plus my average is not 17c it is 18c,

its called geography frosty, you can hardly expect to get similar temperatures where you live to the one you are commenting on. Bit like me at 35 ft amsl expecting to get as much snow as TM does in the Derbyshire Peak District.

Compare you current weather, day by day, say over a month, and then look at the average for the same period for the nearest reporting station.

It might do your blood pressure good to compare like with like!

Posted

Average maximum temperature where you are in Northern Ireland is 17.8c so basically 15.0c or so is cool but nothing out of the ordinary considering you would expect higher temperatures to offset that at some point. In the south east the average maximum is 21.8c. 3c below average would 18.8c. 19.0c is compatible to the climate quite cool just like your 15.0c is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm not sure why Stephen but over recent weeks you have become very negative in how summer may turn out for your area, quite how you can predict the next 6 weeks with such certainty I'm not sure, I certainly cannot. And yes I note your comment its about 'heat' you are talking of. How many days, on average, do you experience 25C or more? How does this year so far compare with that average?

Well I havent got on hand how many on average (on official record) although I do have personal records of recent years

Our average July maximum here is 22C (from 2003-2010)

Last year was a fairly bad summer for my area we got 10 instances of 25C+ (in the entire year) and just 1 day of 30C

2007 the bad summer we achieved just 8 days annually, the worst on the records.

In contrast 2003 we recorded 31 days of 25C+ (from start of June to end of August)

2006 saw 21 days in July alone above 20 days alone in July above 25C

On average because of the sheltered position and sandy soils (I presume), we have an average of 19 days of 25C or above in summer (June 1st - August 31st, only usually 2 to 3 days are 30C or above.

I havent been able to collate records for this year yet, but my overall impression is that it's pretty average this year, Up until June's end it was a little above average (+1 or +2C on max average), since then it's been a little below average (+1 or +2C below maximum average)

The weather is looking slightly better here today, still rather cloudy but trying to brighten up and if it does so, the temps will rise quickly quickly as the 850HPa temps are around 9-12c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Well I havent got on hand how many on average (on official record) although I do have personal records of recent years

Last year was a fairly bad summer for my area we got 10 instances of 25C+ (in the entire year) and just 1 day of 30C

In contrast 2003 we recorded 31 days of 25C+ (from start of June to end of August)

On average because of the sheltered position and sandy soils (I presume), we have an average of 19 days of 25C or above in summer (June 1st - August 31st, only usually 2 to 3 days are 30C or above.

I havent been able to collate records for this year yet, but my overall impression is that it's pretty average this year, Up until June's end it was a little above average (+1 or +2C on max average), since then it's been a little below average (+1 or +2C below maximum average)

Wow, I wonder what the average numbr of days/year of 25C+ is for London..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Only 24.4c here at the moment. I thought it would have risen more given the head start we had earlier. However it looks like we will again surpass last years highest temp for the whole summer, which would be the 4th time this year that we have done so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The thing is, not many people in the UK at all, not just those in Scotland, could cope with several days of '30-32C with 80-90% humidity' which I should think is something not experienced in the UK even during the hottest heatwaves. I would go as far to say as that it would be significantly worse than several days of mid-30's with the usual low humidity accompanied by it when such temperatures are reached in the UK.

With such high humidity your talking real tropical heat, the humidex calculator gives a whopping reading of 50C and 'dangerous discomfort' at 32C with humidity at 90% (at the higher end), and still an incredible 43C and 'great discomfort' at 30C with 80% humidity (at the lower) as a point of reference for what that kind of heat is equivalent to.

The data I'm looking at Kentish Kiwi suggests that the humidity is between 80 and 90%...if it is 68% in Bristol, and Bristol is supposed to be fresher than the SE, then 80%+ is about right ?? Problem is, we don't really get to see the humidex/heat index charts, as is used frequently in the US and I'd imagine Australia...believe it or not, sustained temperatures for over a week of 30C+ in the UK is not that rare in Summer (in C/S/E England more so)...unlike other countries, they'll sustain that (or higher) for weeks/months, while here its punctuated by cooler interludes.

Posted

you all know why i'm moaning.

Im afraid you need to understand the weather in your location. Locations such as E Anglia/SE are always likely to see the hottest temps in summer and under certain situations can actually experience the coldest weather in winter. The simple reason for this is due to these locations proximity to the continent. A continental climate is always likely to experience extremes compared to locations such as yourself who are exposed to the Atlantic ocean.

I see Norwich is 27C already at 11.00am which is 1C warmer than yesterday for the same time. However this doesn't always mean today will be warmer. The temps have risen quicker this morning because there is less high cloud around.

I forgot to add that the sea fetch between E Anglia/SE and the continent is very short which is an additional factor.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

The average July maximum temperature for where you are is just a tad above 20C according to the MetOffice:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/nwengland/7100_1km/MaxTemp_Average_1971-2000_7.gif

Certainly its lower than here (21.0C for 1971-2000 and 21.7C for 2003-2010 for comparison) and 10 days with temperatures of above 25C would be a very good result around here. In fact, we've had just 10 days with temperatures above 25C since September 2006. Id be exceptionally suprised if your area actually averages 19 days of 25C per year. That would be a high number for many areas in the south-east.

On this day in 1913 Death Valley recorded 56.7C, the highest temperature ever recorded in the western hemisphere (apart from frostyjoe's world record breaking temperatures that he records :drinks: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

On this day in 1913 Death Valley recorded 56.7C, the highest temperature ever recorded in the western hemisphere (apart from frostyjoe's world record breaking temperatures that he records :drinks: )

LOL!

Sorry that really made me laugh. :crazy:

+1

Posted

Cloud has broken up considerably since the morning, and the temperature is now shooting up, Wunderground saying 29.1C, Cambridge University weather station 27C, interesting to know where these stations have been set up because of the difference.