Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

dogs32

Posted

Yep, some storms about according to the radar. One approaching the west of Edinburgh now although not heard any thunder yet.

Just blew through here that shower as a short, sharp downpour. No thunder/lightning although wind's increased quite considerably. Wild day out there.

Posted

possible storms next weekend :lol:

How long before that risk is completely gone :lol:

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

possible storms next weekend :lol:

Yeah, I was just having a look at the charts. Looks like Friday night for some southern parts of England seems plausible, storms moving up from France potentially, and possibly home grown storms over the weekend in the south and east.

Posted

Yeah, I was just having a look at the charts. Looks like Friday night for some southern parts of England seems plausible, storms moving up from France potentially, and possibly home grown storms over the weekend in the south and east.

lets hope this is the one we have been waiting for..

Posted

Id expect it to be another SE event or Isle of wight area.

most likely, I can see it being an east Kent clipper. Watch the usual eastward progression occur :D

Posted

most likely, I can see it being an east Kent clipper. Watch the usual eastward progression occur :D

Possibly but id say it could hit anywhere between kent and isle of wight. Unless it does shift east.

In the mean time iv been enjoying the warm settled spell + got some much needed rain yesterday so also happy about that aswel.

Edited by TomWlx

Posted

Still a million miles away in real terms and obviously subject to any amount of twists, turns and revisions, but look how close the heavy stuff would be to us on Sunday if this came true:

Rtavn16211.png

Rtavn16210.png

The accent is also on close, but not over us...... :D

skew0.957385365692065.png

skew0.878944177021371.png

skew0.0604705627347393.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I know we are all incredibly storm starved, but for heaven's sake, it's only Monday....:wallbash: please oh please stop this discussion of possible storms and trying to second guess things...looking at those charts 7 days in advance, especially GFS, is about as reliable as a laptop which has been dunked in battery acid, hung to dry behind the engine of a Eurofighter typhoon on full thrust, then slung into a crate of magnets before finally being run over by a tank, a steam roller and 18 wheel juganaut....

Even at this stage, the synopsis doesn't look especially great - the GFS charts above have the heat and moisture staying over the continent (surprise surprise) - and a GFS chart showing only few hundred or so CAPE a week in advance is not really promising.

Though I agree, having LP to the West and HP advancing to the East always leaves the door open for something :whistling::D

Edited by Harry

Posted

I know we are all incredibly storm starved, but for heaven's sake, it's only Monday....:wallbash: please oh please stop this discussion of possible storms and trying to second guess things...looking at those charts 7 days in advance, especially GFS, is about as reliable as a laptop which has been dunked in battery acid, hung to dry behind the engine of a Eurofighter typhoon on full thrust, then slung into a crate of magnets before finally being run over by a tank, a steam roller and 18 wheel juganaut....

Even at this stage, the synopsis doesn't look especially great - the GFS charts above have the heat and moisture staying over the continent (surprise surprise) - and a GFS chart showing only few hundred or so CAPE a week in advance is not really promising.

Though I agree, having LP to the West and HP advancing to the East always leaves the door open for something :D

It's only 5 days ahead? We're looking at Friday night, just like we did last week. The FAX from last night looks good for storms in southern England on Friday and the MetO and local BBC have been ramping it up as well. Yes the GFS doesn't show it, but others do. I have a good feeling about this one. :whistling:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

It's only 5 days ahead? We're looking at Friday night, just like we did last week. The FAX from last night looks good for storms in southern England on Friday and the MetO and local BBC have been ramping it up as well. Yes the GFS doesn't show it, but others do. I have a good feeling about this one. :good:

Once again, some reality and perspective needed here. The BBC haven't 'ramped up' this coming Friday. I have heard the BBC forecast for this area too. They have simply said the possibility of a few thundery showers later on Friday - otherwise a dry outlook. It might be a similar situation to the end of last week - and it is still some days away. 'Only' 5 days is quite a long time in weather terms in the sort of situation where a possibility is brushing the far part of Kent.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

The reality is, all we need is a slight bend in a solitary isobar, and any storms will be blown away into Benelux...equally however, it could mean more widespread thundery activity for the UK!

As I said, I like the setup, but doesn't mean we are going to get storms. Friday night just gone, the BBC especially locally, were ramping up the potential for some thundery showers for Kent - as it happened, there wasn't a drop of rain, and not a storm even on the continent within 100 miles after sunset....

Louise Lear incidentally saying on the lunchtime broadcast that after the LP clears away from the NW, becoming increasingly hot and sticky towards the end of the working week....here's hoping :good:

Edited by Harry

Posted

I know we are all incredibly storm starved, but for heaven's sake, it's only Monday....:

Though I agree, having LP to the West and HP advancing to the East always leaves the door open for something :whistling::good:

Yes, an almost unnoticable, weak Cold Front with low cloud, drizzle for half an hour (if you're lucky!)

and hazy sunny spells throughout its' passing!

As has happened 3 times in the last week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Well dunno about anywhere else, but certainly more than a few light showers in Antrim here today (as BBC forecast), although no thundery activity as yet, some of these cloud scapes are pretty impressive.

Posted

Well dunno about anywhere else, but certainly more than a few light showers in Antrim here today (as BBC forecast), although no thundery activity as yet, some of these cloud scapes are pretty impressive.

Pics, pics, pics!! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

GFS, is about as reliable as a laptop which has been dunked in battery acid, hung to dry behind the engine of a Eurofighter typhoon on full thrust, then slung into a crate of magnets before finally being run over by a tank, a steam roller and 18 wheel juganaut....

Well acually a millitary laptop would survive that :lol:

But i do agree its too eairly to say Ooooh theres going to be a storm, i would say wednesday at least before even perdicting a storm... The morning of friday i think we should watch the radar for info on storm in the evening.

Posted

Either way it will most likely be the SE half of the uk like always but if there are storms at least i can track them.

Posted

A military laptop would be lost on a train!! lol

very optimistic bout friday i wouldnt like to say about any chances, ive got my hopes up before and nothing ever happend

so whats different this time round? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

i see this today and by the time i could get my phone out it was nearly gone but this is what i caught hope it turns out ok.

http://www.kentonlin..._hits_kent.aspx Note: not a tornado but funnel clouds

post-9214-069564500 1278364135_thumb.jpg

post-9214-038374300 1278364173_thumb.jpg

Posted

The twists and turns of trying to forecast convective weather several days out reveal today?

'GFS says noooo'

carol-beer-computer-says-no1.jpg