Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather UK

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks Stuart and thanks Backtrack for the info :).My storm risk has gone down lol, but that is to be expected as it's still a few days out yet..

To be honest, I'm not sold on the fact that warming air temperatures are going to have a big effect on the temperature of the Irish Sea...the energy required to heat seas and oceans by just 1C alone is astronomical, think of how much energy is required to heat a kettle full of water...a rise in temperature for a few days won't have much impact in my view.

What could however warm the Irish sea, is the swell from the deep depressions/storms lining up in the atlantic...this is far more likely to warm the Irish sea as storms and possible surge drive warmer currents northwards towards the British Isles. This IMO is far more likely to raise the sea temperatures and increase the risk of convection. If the air temperature is 13-15C and the sea is 11C, then convection is most likely to trigger inland as opposed to the coast, as this is where the greater temperature gradients are.

As I say, this is my opinion as an enthusiast not as someone who is qualified

Posted

It's going to be touch and go, but I wouldn't dismiss it (or otherwise) until Wednesday into Thursday:

MU_London_avn.png

Posted

It's going to be touch and go, but I wouldn't dismiss it (or otherwise) until Wednesday into Thursday:

MU_London_avn.png

I have to say, that chart looks very nice :D (albeit at the moment)

Posted

I have to say, that chart looks very nice :D (albeit at the moment)

It's got a way to go, but Friday night into the weekend + then Monday could be worth homing in on and watching. NW storm risk is a bit too far out for any reliability for me:

post-6667-0-04422400-1294670201.jpg

I'm really breaking a self imposed rule anyway - looking at convective potential more than 2 days ahead!

ukstormrisk.png

post-6667-0-04422400-1294670201_thumb.jp

Posted

It's got a way to go, but Friday night into the weekend + then Monday could be worth homing in on and watching. NW storm risk is a bit too far out for any reliability for me:

post-6667-0-04422400-1294670201.jpg

I'm really breaking a self imposed rule anyway - looking at convective potential more than 2 days ahead!

ukstormrisk.png

Completely agree...I'm not getting remotely excited...especially considering historically, what GFS says storm wise doesn't often come off...many a time storms have been progged UK wide singling out the SE as getting nothing, when its been the SE who has ended up bagging something while others cry blue murder.

This time of year tends to produce odd sparks as opposed to full on thundery showers/thunderstorms, with coastal areas tending to do better than inland...interesting period nonetheless coming up with a slightest slither of optimism! :D

Posted

Completely agree...I'm not getting remotely excited.

Had a quick look this morning Friday into Saturday and not looking that special I'm afraid for us. I'l have another look tomorrow morning but lapse rates, shear, TT values and CAPE etc are all marginal to poor currently.

Mind you, look at Ireland on Saturday:

gfs_stp_eur66.png

gfs_srh_eur66.png

Perhaps England and Wales wil be in for a stormy Sunday? :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Very true Stuart.Still a couple of months to go yet,:)

My storm risk for Friday has disappeared now. I think i was rather hoping to much Lol. Plenty more storm opportunities to come yet. as Winter leaves us and Spring arrives.:D

Posted

Very true Stuart.Still a couple of months to go yet,:)

My storm risk for Friday has disappeared now. I think i was rather hoping to much Lol. Plenty more storm opportunities to come yet. as Winter leaves us and Spring arrives.:D

good luck for your storms this year i may be moved before summer in a no storm area :wallbash:

Posted

i may be moved before summer in a no storm area :wallbash:

Cheltenham?! :unsure:

Posted

Cheltenham?! :unsure:

I like that Coast lol :lol:Cheltenham is definately the place to move to where you're guaranteed no storms lol.

Posted

And here's the Estofex forecast for tomorrow.:)

Good luck everyone.:D

... Ireland, Scotland and UK ...

Numerous time frames occur, where thunderstorms could evolve:

a) Morning hours mainly over UK. First tongue of high PWAT content overspreads the area with gradually cooling mid-levels as region resides at the cyclonic side of an intense mid-/upper streak. Cold front passage during the morning hours could spark a few isolated thunderstorms as MUCAPE increases from the SW and even surface based convection can't be ruled out given BL quality. However confidence in strong updraft evolution is still marginal at best, so severe risk will be on the lower end side with gusty winds and marginal hail. Don't want to mention explicitly the word "tornado" in this part despite marginally enhanced LL CAPE along the front itself, but overall conditions don't hint on any enhanced tornado risk right now.

http://www.estofex.org/

Posted

And here's the Estofex forecast for tomorrow.:)

:good: + their map:

post-6667-0-16723200-1294996759.png

They are out on their own with this one as UKASF and TORRO currently have no forecast. What do the others say?

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_18.gif

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_24.gif

PGNE14_CL.gif

gfs_cape_eur12.png

gfs_layer_eur12.png

gfs_kili_eur12.png

gfs_lfc_eur12.png

gfs_spout_eur12.png

gfs_lapse2_eur12.png

gfs_stp_eur12.png

zsfclcldif.curr.1300lst.d2.png

Perhaps its a case of North-West is best today?

post-6667-0-16723200-1294996759_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have issued the first N-W convective/storm forecast of the year for today :) :

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted

Thanks Coast and Nick :) At the moment it is dull and breezy here. Would be nice to see some sunshine appear. Will be glued to the radar today Lol

Posted

Thank I keep my eyes and ears open maybe 1st of of the year :)

You may need to be in Inverness Stu! :rofl:

Posted

Some convective interest at the moment with lines of heavy showers moving from W-E across NE Somerset/Bath/Wiltshire, however there is

extensive cloud cover so it's not possible to make out any towers or embedded CBs if there are any.

Posted

Yes, some notable convective lines across central southern England along a post cold front trough, a random sferic further east over Norfolk.

Posted

Sferics showing up west of London with some cells with red echoes on the N-W radar. Should have extended the area for storms a little further south and east on my storm forecast map :rolleyes: .