Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather UK

Coast

Posted

At long last an interesting sky day! And a clean convective one to boot!

Gloriously sunny through until 13.00 with distant anvils to the W/NW and since then some good development locally with

large TCu and small CBs with rain/hail shafts looking lovely against the surrounding blue sky.

But, lol, showers have gone W/N/SE of here!

Posted

Showers merging to give a longer spell of rain over the Pennines now, what could be the trough feature over southern scotland on the surface pressure maps at midnight tonight.

Todays glorious warm sunshine, with anvils around has now been replaced by overcast murk and intermittent rain/hail/sleet showers. A slight dusting of the white stuff on the higher hills just evident locally. This feature is looking to be following the flow diagram so unfortunately anyone NorthEast of it, there's no sferics inside this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hahaha brilliant we just had lightning and a crack of thunder, got some pics of the cloud it self, it looks amazing!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hahaha brilliant we just had lightning and a crack of thunder, got some pics of the cloud it self, it looks amazing!!!

2 Thunder days already you lucky person. Best update your links, Stormyking. :good:

Some nice convection around for sure, nothing to note here though, yet!

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

2 Thunder days already you lucky person. Best update your links, Stormyking. :good:

Some nice convection around for sure, nothing to note here though, yet!

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me Lol

I will try and get the pictures up soon, it was only the one rumble and one flash but the cell looked a right little beauty and was well worth a few pictures :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

At long last an interesting sky day! And a clean convective one to boot!

Gloriously sunny through until 13.00 with distant anvils to the W/NW and since then some good development locally with

large TCu and small CBs with rain/hail shafts looking lovely against the surrounding blue sky.

But, lol, showers have gone W/N/SE of here!

Yep, a similar problem here haha. Though at least that has meant I've managed to get some piccies of clouds drifting by either side. Shame there's just not anything coming out of them as they come by. I think the bright sunshine has been the high point about today, especially after yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nowt in Norwich- it's often the case in these SW'ly setups that the showers don't really get going in the south-eastern third of Britain, but Norwich did get some unexpected shower activity on Saturday. There's some bright echoes up in the Tyne and Wear area at the moment although my mother informs me that the big echo off the coast just missed Cleadon.

Posted

Nice to see some convective cumulus and CB's around today. Was a nice cell to the north at lunch time with a quite well defined hail shaft for a while. Other rain/hail streaks at times too. Nothing much falling where I was or at home today, but was nice to see these skyscapes again along with some good sunshine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

So, once again my hometown, Worthing, has missed out on all the fun! It looked fairly promising this morning but once again mother nature has been up to her old tricks. Here, we didnt even get a decent cloud structure..tomorrow looks just the same as today; so I'll look forward to more disappointment tomorrow. I was going to ask mother nature to be my valentine too :|

Summer, if you exist in the UK, COME QUICKER! Thanks.

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It has to be said, though, this has been a remarkably active day for homegrown convection considering that it's only the 14th February! Even in summer, we've had numerous days of "significant convective potential" which produced rather less of it across the UK as a whole.

Posted

Quite a heavy shower here now and interestingly some really black skies before it came in (Looks moderate at best on the radar) Just a pity there was no real heat to the sky as that could have been quite a beastie given the right conditions but as it is.

Edited by NUT

Posted

It has to be said, though, this has been a remarkably active day for homegrown convection considering that it's only the 14th February! Even in summer, we've had numerous days of "significant convective potential" which produced rather less of it across the UK as a whole.

I agree, been very surprised on how strong the convection has been today, though our little thunder and hail shower developed just out to sea about 20 miles south of the Island :o

Posted

Thought Id share just a few pictures, hope they have worked.

Picture397.jpg?t=1297706297

Picture398.jpg?t=1297706297

Picture399-1.jpg?t=1297706297

Picture401.jpg?t=1297706297

Picture402.jpg?t=1297706297

Picture403.jpg?t=1297706885

Picture404.jpg?t=1297706885

Hope Like them, the last one was the back of the Cell :)

Posted

Very nice SK :D

I had a small hail shower here but it was great to see the sky full of convection today .:)

Thankyou Jane :D

It felt so good to see it all again, missed it a lot and to think its only February as well :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I too was only thinking that it was a very active day upon looking at the radar. Hopefully it bodes well for an active spring in terms of beefy showers and stronger sunshine, perfect!

Showery Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Nice to see some good convection around today!

Some impressive looking Cbs around SW Wales today. Nothing of note precipitation wise here except a light hail shower at lunchtime though.

Looks like some decent cells approaching the South coast at the moment on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

For Mid February i regard todays Convection as very impressive and we did achieve a very heavy rain shower/melted hail at around 3:30pm with an impressive back edge which i have a few photos of.

Today has had better convection than some of the "potential" days last Summer! Lets hope this is just the start of a good season. :)

Just taking a random look at the long range CFS charts, they looked rather tasty for the summer with lots of very warm/hot weather but sadly ive only looked at the one run. The next of course will probably be rubbish. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have issued a storm forecast for SWern areas and Ireland tomorrow: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted

Have issued a storm forecast for SWern areas and Ireland tomorrow: http://www.netweathe...onvective;sess=

Cheers Nick, will certainly be interesting tomorrow bring it on, good luck to all !!

Late Afternoon will be best chance me thinks!

Posted

Here we go then, what are the others forecasting?

post-6667-0-25751200-1297756447.png

Storm Forecast

Valid: Tue 15 Feb 2011 06:00 to Wed 16 Feb 2011 06:00 UTC

Issued: Mon 14 Feb 2011 18:56

Forecaster: KOROSEC

A level 1 was issued for NW Iberia and surrounding areas mainly for intense rainfall and strong wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS

The dominating feature is the eastwards expanding long-wave trough across western half of Europe where surface cyclogenesis develops in the NW Mediterranean. At surface, a deep low moves from eastern Atlantic towards the western France by Wednesday morning. Another short wave trough crosses SE Mediterranean during the forecast period. Over NE Europe, a large ridge with polar airmass maintains high pressure area.

Marginal instability seems likely to form ahead of the approaching front in western Mediterranean. Despite shear will be rather moderate, mostly scattered showers and thunderstorms can be expected. And organized storms are unlikely to form. Though some of the storms may bring intense rain threat, but will stay over open waters.

In weakly sheared but marginally unstable environment, some convective storms are also expected along the rapidly eastwards moving trough across the SE Mediterranean.

PGNE14_CL_small.gif

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_24.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_12_00Z.png

cape.curr.1400lst.d2.png

gfs_cape_eur18.png

gfs_kili_eur18.png

gfs_lfc_eur18.png

gfs_spout_eur18.png

gfs_stp_eur18.png

gfs_srflow_eur18.png

zsfclcldif.curr.1700lst.d2.png

122477.gif

Cornwall possibly Devon during the day?

post-6667-0-25751200-1297756447_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Thanks Coast.

According to the MetO I won't be seeing or hearing anything tonight They've made that quite clear to us lot in Gloucestershire .Lol typical.

Tonight:

Some locally heavy and thundery showers will affect the region, especially parts of Cornwall and Devon, but Gloucestershire will be dry with clear spells and a patchy ground frost. Minimum temperature 1 °C

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_forecast_weather.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Good luck jane

Thank you Stuart, But I have a feeling I will miss out again lol.:)

After raining here all morning it has started to brighten up now. Fingers are crossed and new camera at the ready just in case lol.:good: