Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Just a quick reminder for anybody who does enjoy a storm today, please put your storm reports here:

Storm Reports

Posted

I'm certainly very confused I have to say

What's there to be confused about? A pulse of heavy (non-thundery) rain will move north to our east, with maybe the edge clipping Kent. Elsewhere, widespread scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms. Supercells confined to BeNeLux and NE France. That has been the story all along? :cc_confused:

Posted

still early days.....

this afternoon is when things will get going...

should get some cloud breaks later that will help convection...we hope..lol

I reckon Kent is going to get hit later.....

On radar and sat you can see this system as pushed further West

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just like to say good luck to everyone today, Im going on a mini Isle of wight chase tonight with my friend who offered me as its our best chance I reckon I hope we get summet

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The winds near the surface don't steer the storms, it's the mid-level winds (i.e. 500mb) that mostly determine direction of travel and tomorrow these steering winds will be from the SW or SSW. Though supercell storms can deviate.

Being a NW radar addict I have found that showers and rain bands often follow the 700mbar flow, so I have that along with surface pressure data layers on the radar play.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Raining here now, not sure we will get any storms today tho! fingers crossed and good luck everyone :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

2 very heavy showers here in the last hour but no thunder or lightning as of yet. Strangely enough, despite the GFS showing >50% chance of storms across most of Ireland today, Met Eireann has no mention of even a risk thunderstorms for today!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What's there to be confused about? A pulse of heavy (non-thundery) rain will move north to our east, with maybe the edge clipping Kent. Elsewhere, widespread scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms. Supercells confined to BeNeLux and NE France. That has been the story all along? :cc_confused:

Sorry...confusing! There's so much going on it's difficult to know where to look, when to look, and what precisely to look for...has someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

Posted

just been looking at the radar loop in the future predictions of Precip...

and by the looks of things Surrey and the surrounding counties are going to get hit....but at present the heaviest stuff over N.France...but this could change as it is still developing

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Raining here now, not sure we will get any storms today tho! fingers crossed and good luck everyone :cc_confused:

I think that it will be a case of occasional heavy showers with the odd clap of thunder just a possibility in places for south and west Wales.

Posted

If I had to have a cup of tea with anyone today for a visit it would be at Neil's House...lol

Neil how much is your BedBreakfast rates :cc_confused:

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

and by the looks of things Surrey and the surrounding counties are going to get hit....but at present the heaviest stuff over N.France...but this could change as it is still developing

Hence my confusion Pat...it seems very clear that the severest storms are going to stay over Benelux - my confusion arises as some moister air (responsible for the Franco Benelux Level 2/3 zones) on some models appears to branch a bit further West across parts of the SE, edge of EA and edge of NW England...the cloud to our South at present appears to be streaming North across us, with at present little in the way of Eastward shift...yes a LP area is expected to develop, however where precisely it develops and how it is likely to affect us is confusing...I don't buy (atm) that the rain expected to hit E Kent will JUST be rain!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Sorry...confusing! There's so much going on it's difficult to know where to look, when to look, and what precisely to look for...has someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

:cc_confused: i think he has! i have to agree with u harry! not sure where to look myself at the moment!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

A lot of beefy showers forming at the moment particularly over west Wales and around Ottery St Mary. Looking further afield it will be worth keeping an eye on a band of heavy showers forming south of Cherbourg that could clip the southeast. These seem to be forming further west of the main projected MCS system that was forecast to clip Kent.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Hence my confusion Pat...it seems very clear that the severest storms are going to stay over Benelux - my confusion arises as some moister air (responsible for the Franco Benelux Level 2/3 zones) on some models appears to branch a bit further West across parts of the SE, edge of EA and edge of NW England...the cloud to our South at present appears to be streaming North across us, with at present little in the way of Eastward shift...yes a LP area is expected to develop, however where precisely it develops and how it is likely to affect us is confusing...I don't buy (atm) that the rain expected to hit E Kent will JUST be rain!

same here!!

in the last hour the area growing heading towards Kent/Surrey ect...is increasing in strength....

I would take the gamble here today if I had a car...

could be clutching at straws but you know how things can be unpredictable at times..

This area to me is the most interesting at present

cherbourg cell is exploding also...I think thats the name of the area?

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Still have the frontal rain over me at moment, hopefully this will clear away shortly.

Posted

6z NAE shifts it further northwest a bit more. In all honesty, it doesn't look thundery to me, thus I am not getting excited as I was on Sunday night. But I shall watch eagerly none-the-less.:cc_confused:

Posted

oooo I'm in surrounding area! Do you know when that is predicted to hit? Cheers Pat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Chances for Norwich look pretty low with a large mass of frontal cloud just to the SE, inhibiting convection. Looks like there are some pretty severe bands over N & W France already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Noticing a potent shower passing to east of devon, anyone confirm this? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Torro warning issued also:

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

Posted

oooo I'm in surrounding area! Do you know when that is predicted to hit? Cheers Pat!

I dont know mate its still developing but worth keeping an eye on things just in case it materlises into storms..

If I had to guess I would go for early afternoon

Posted

To me i dont know if anyone else would agree but that heavy stuff over the cherbourg peninsula seems to be heading heading for the central southern

England ie me!!!! lol but that might me too positive thinking?