Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Some great footage on this thread tonight. Had an interesting evening inadvertantly closing on some cells as they passed over King's Lynn. I saw some textbook anvils, and some lovely updrafts. Just wish I had my camera with me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The storm on it's way up here is dying, already lost it's sferics.

Not quite what I hoped for today, just one flash seen and some quiet rumbles but still better than nothing.

Just before the map is cleared at midnight, here's all of today's activity from the Netweather lightning detector...

post-3392-097197100 1279147775_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Wow, theres a Ori mothership flying over the town in that film!

Can you show me where it was confirmed as supercellular btw? As the storm that moved over me had an impressive gust front very similar to that but noway was it a supercell.

Difficult to confirm without seeing rotation of a mesocyclone I suppose. You can get gust fronts along the front of multicell line segments which may have been what passed through SE and E Kent earlier this evening. Impressive nonetheless, I did see a similar storm front back in the late 1990s in the same area when I used to live there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Even if it wasn't a full grown supercell, it was certainly pretty close to have tooken on that kind of dramatic gust front. It's been a fair few years since I've seen one like that here at home. Thanks for the info Paul. The striations on the leading edge are the clue, not to mention the storm splitting.

Quite a few reports of thunder and lightning in the south west of Scotland tonight. Nothing here but many Facebook friends reporting a good wee storm in various areas of Ayrshire.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Yes

Just saw mt first 2 Flashes of Lightning to my SE. Must have been way over in Eastern Kent, distance looked to be about 50-60 Miles, Whole Cloud Tops Lighting up every 2 Mins.

I see nothing , haven't done for the last 30mins :D

Posted

Difficult to confirm without seeing rotation of a mesocyclone I suppose. You can get gust fronts along the front of multicell line segments which may have been what passed through SE and E Kent earlier this evening. Impressive nonetheless, I did see a similar storm front back in the late 1990s in the same area when I used to live there.

on the rear end was a fantastic display of very large, low-hanging mammatus. I half expected it to turn tornadic the amount of tuburbulence showing on the cell's underside as it cleared away northeastwards around 7.30pm from Cranbrook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Found an awesome clip of the storm across Kent this evening - more than likely the same one which was confirmed as supercellular.

What's zipping across the screen at about 30secs , just after the lightning flash? :D :D :mellow:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Interesting forecast from ESTOFEX for tomorrow, although expectancy is low a threat does exsist..

The Chanel region and southern British Isles

Another short-wave trough yields a frontal wave across the Atlantic that travels into the British Isles on Thursday. Expect neutral lapse rates and rich low-level moisture in the warm air advection regime, some CAPE might build in response to diurnal heating. Latest model output does not indicate instability due to the warm air aloft and rather weak pre-frontal low-level moisture. However, at least a weak chance is present when the moisture increases from the west.

Along the occlusion of the wave that moves into the British Isles in the evening hours, a few embedded storms could develop. Given very strong low-level vertical wind shear in excess of 20 m/s in the lowest kilometre, tornadoes are not ruled out completely, and even strong tornadoes may be possible. Given the lack of instability predicted by the models, no level is given at this time.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

What's zipping across the screen at about 30secs , just after the lightning flash? :D :D :mellow:

Didn't even notice it until you mention it tbh. Very odd. Little white dot appears then moves off to the right at high speed in an perfectly straight line. Seemed to leave a residual faint trail aswell behind it. Either it's a glitch in the video as it was taken on a mobile phone and something to do with the digital lens or could it actually be ball lightning?

i used orbitdownloader to grab the video from youtube and watched it in slow motion. It appears to be a small bird flying accross the screen. It stands out because of the way the light is catching it against the dark stormy sky.

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

The weather is becoming more dramatic tonight - here we've had very strong gusty winds and torrential rain, its calmer now but feel it's only a matter of time before it picks up again. Interesting evening. The winds are notable.

Posted

Just to give some background on the topography.The high ground of the South Downs just to our West, just to the east of Hastings, we have some of the highest ground in Sussex up at Fairlight, known locally as the firehills.

The 2007 Supercell and todays if confirmed, followed the same track. A southerly aproach off the channel to Hastings town (low ground) then movement East toward Folkestone along the coast, crossing that high ground of Fairlight.

Not sure if that helps?

Evening hours of Sunday 15th July 2007 was when the last supercell occurred - just one day shy of the 3rd anniversary! :D

Posted

i just watched the you tube video up thread. that "thing" that crosses at around 25 seconds is not a bird. It looks like a missile or ball lightning - bizarre! Someone should report this!

Posted

That's bizzare, it acts like meteorite, quick, short and leaves a small tail. Odd!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

That's bizzare, it acts like meteorite, quick, short and leaves a small tail. Odd!

Thats what I thought...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

what a day that was! and maybe another for some today(thursday)

There a new Convective/Storm forecast issued - and ESTOFEX have a risk for southern england! its a band of intense rain thursday evening , cant wait to see what our netweather team put out in the morning... i think there great they always keep us updated and there so busy. (:

Posted

big showers building already in N.Devon

edit heavy shower here now...radar looking interesting this morning already

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

good morning i am felling a bit down due to storm risk been downgread this morning:cray:

Hi mate,

na....look at yesterday it turned out more widespread than predicted by the Met Radar...

hold tight could all change throughout the day :D

at present Stu I have shower after shower heading here on radar

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Hi mate,

na....look at yesterday it turned out more widespread than predicted by the Met Radar...

hold tight could all change throughout the day :D

at present Stu I have shower after shower heading here on radar

Good morning pat but metoffice say few heavy showers with a risk of thunder here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Very heavy rain around these parts this morning, Weston missed it, but travelling to work, parts of Clevedon and Tickenham were flooded.

Posted

I dont think theres a huge chance of much happening today, certainly nonthing like yesterday. Although I had nothing yesterday so anything would be nice.

Had 1.2mm of rain yesterday and already this morning have had 8.0mm with more to come on the radar. There was also a high rain rate of 52.4mm/hour at around 2:50am which I think is onbe of the highest I've seen for me.

Posted

Evening hours of Sunday 15th July 2007 was when the last supercell occurred - just one day shy of the 3rd anniversary! :)

I checked my folders and I took this video on that day in 2007:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

yeah very gusty here is morning... Drove through a nasty cell yesterday evening in north kent but nothing spectacular yet!!