Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Only 11.8c here.

Posted

Doesnt even feel like summer here, more like autumn a bit. even though the temp are in the high teens constantly, i still go out in a coat because i really dont think it feels particularly warm, especially when the suns in,when i walk to work there a are a few leaves on the groundnear the forest. although i know it is due to the lack of rain. i started a new job at the motorway service station and just before you get there, there is a nice quiet forest like area that you walk through to get across to the service station. you see lots of wildlife there every so often with rabbits etc. i really cannot wait wil autumn now and when all the trees are yellow and orange and falling to the ground and the wind is blowing them around.

one thing i love about autumn is the first cold morning. it is dark when you wake up and you head out and it is cold, the leaves are blowing around etc. lovely....

also, people keep saying they remember the snow in 2005 in november. has everyone forgotten the last third of november 2008? i remember that last week of november when temps were around 1 to 3c all over the country and we had that bitter siberia wind, everyone was in winter mode with scarfs gloves etc and you could sense xmas was in the air, even though people are already geared up for it near the end of october. i loved that last week of november.

P.S i wish that jonathan guy would pike down and stop getting carried away with the fairies. he keeps PMing me about autumn and saying things like 'did you know we are in for an early autumn'. he will take anything for gospel. readign some of his posts he will go on about how certain sites say this that and other and it just sounds unbelieveable. i know i said it feels like autumn, but i was exagerrating. like the other day he read on weather outlook that it said that scotland may see snow in mid sept! they said that last year on there and there was no snow at all in autumn 2009, and a lack of fog and frost.

Edited by snowlover2009

Doesnt even feel like summer here, more like autumn a bit. even though the temp are in the high teens constantly, i still go out in a coat because i really dont think it feels particularly warm

Yes i agree felt more like a fresh feeling September day today in warwickshire, the past few days heve felt really chilly especially in that brisk wind giving a noticeable wind chill, i was out in a t shirt as i'm alright when walking fast but once you sit on a bench especially in a more rural setting it felt brrrrrrrr, wish i had long sleeved top on or a coat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Certainly doesn't feel Autumnal here, only just closed the patio doors, it's still 15c - not bad for 11.30 pm.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Certainly doesn't feel Autumnal here, only just closed the patio doors, it's still 15c - not bad for 11.30 pm.

Yes, i agree people sitting on here saying that 17c is autumnal, more like 8c, its around 10c here so cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Can't wait for Autumn.

Went to Cape Clear off the south coast of Cork yeaterday with my family. Hadn't brought a hat to cover my bald head but thought I could buy some sunscreen in the only shop on the Island... they didn't have any... so after a day of walking around in the sun I now look like a cherry on a stick and feel like my head is being attcked with a hot cheese grater!

Posted

Feels like Autumn here but only due to some unseasonable cold weather, Since the 25th of July we have yet to reach the average high for Leeds (21.c).

25th- 19.c

26th- 18.c

27th- 16.c

28th- 19.c

29th- 19.c

30th- 18.c

31st- 17.c

1st - 18.c

2nd- 19.c

3rd- 19.c

4th- 17.c

5th- 13.c

6th- 16.c

I would expect these types of temperatures in late September/Early October not July/August.

Posted

Soft Southerners.

Polar Bears here !!

Mind that Polar Bear doesn't eat your Lurcher, Pikey Boy.

Long may Summer continue, don't want to even contemplate dark evenings again just yet.

Posted

Were the curtains open and was the light on? I worry about moths coming in, so if my windows are open, then the lights are off. Last year I had a moth infestation and the b....y little bl....ers chewed holes in my carpets. :drinks:

Moths aside, I was out and about today and I noticed many, many trees with just the slightest hint of yellowing to the leaves. It wasn't brown-ness and dying off such as would be caused by lack of rain, it was most definitely the very, very first starting of the leaf colour change for Autumn. Nice! :D

Posted

Curtains, windows and doors open with the lights on Val, it's worth it just to watch our idiotic Cocker Spaniel try and catch them.

Posted

Autumn's rapidly on its way here. Out for a long canter for a few hours today: Hedgerows groaning with blackberries, hawthorns, sloes ( :good: ), elderberries (half-ripe), hazelnuts, Lords n Ladies everywhere ( a real autumnal harbinger for me!!), plenty of crab apples also.

Our garden's doing well for apples and pears, though plums/greengages are a little disappointing so far. Black walnuts are looking shiny, conkers and sweet chestnuts are looking full and ripe.

Bring it on !!

Posted

Our garden's doing well for apples and pears,

There's three apple trees and two pear trees in our garden - and there's virtually nowt on 'em this year :rolleyes: . Last year we couldn't shift for fruit,and look at the winter we got. I hope this isn't an omen! Mind you,the elderberry situation this year is much improved - last year I managed to secure only enough to make a pitiful two gallons of wine...

Posted

Feels like Autumn here but only due to some unseasonable cold weather, Since the 25th of July we have yet to reach the average high for Leeds (21.c).

25th- 19.c

26th- 18.c

27th- 16.c

28th- 19.c

29th- 19.c

30th- 18.c

31st- 17.c

1st - 18.c

2nd- 19.c

3rd- 19.c

4th- 17.c

5th- 13.c

6th- 16.c

I would expect these types of temperatures in late September/Early October not July/August.

Those temps are on a par with what we have seen since early July. However, we broke the magic 70f yesterday first time since late June! Wasn't expecting to see such temps must have been some warm upper mixed in with the warm sector once the rain cleared. I was walking in the fells and despite a fair bit of cloud it did feel very clammy with high humidity and very little wind - days I don't particularly like for walking. Certainly days like yesterday feel very much like mid summer to me than Autumn. However, recent weeks have temp wise felt like September and cloud and rain wise more like October.

Posted

Could this be the first sub -15C 850hPa since, I'm guessing, early June!? Or have I already missed that train?

post-6901-084255300 1281283290_thumb.png

Could this be the first sub -15C 850hPa since, I'm guessing, early June!? Or have I already missed that train?

MMm lovely cold air, would love to see that reach our shores in 5 months time!

Out of interest, when does the northern hemisphere become its warmest, on average? Are we already past the tipping point in this country in terms of average temps?

Posted

Out of interest, when does the northern hemisphere become its warmest, on average? Are we already past the tipping point in this country in terms of average temps?

I imagine it would be the second half of July until the first 3rd of August or so. Anybody with the daily CETs average out to hand!?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I noticed that on the GFS6z too, if it makes it to 0 hours, then it will again be the earliest occurance since at least 1997 and a full nine days ahead of our nearest cold pooling rival, 2006.

The northern hemisphere as a whole is probably at its warmest during late July, the statistical thermal maximum for England is 12th August and the Arctic is usually at its warmest in late August.

Posted

I noticed that on the GFS6z too, if it makes it to 0 hours, then it will again be the earliest occurance since at least 1997 and a full nine days ahead of our nearest cold pooling rival, 2006.

The northern hemisphere as a whole is probably at its warmest during late July, the statistical thermal maximum for England is 12th August and the Arctic is usually at its warmest in late August.

Thanks for that. Is it a similar case with winter, as in the 12th of February, or I suppose the 11th seen as December has 31 days over June's 30.

I have noticed over the last month or 2 that the CFS has often been showing a huge temperature plunge during the second half of October. Would be great to get winter off to an early start like 92 or 93!

Posted

Thanks for that. Is it a similar case with winter, as in the 12th of February, or I suppose the 11th seen as December has 31 days over June's 30.

I have noticed over the last month or 2 that the CFS has often been showing a huge temperature plunge during the second half of October. Would be great to get winter off to an early start like 92 or 93!

I am pretty sure that it is actually 4th February for some reason, i quess the ten day difference means that it is easier for the temperature to fall to winter levels and slightly hader to rise.

I am still confident that this August will be below average along with September, GFS is downgrading the upcoming settled spell constantly.

Well overall the runs aren't downgrading the potential settled weather that much but yes the very warm temps of over 25C outside of the SE yes are being downgraded as some cooler 850's are pulled into the mix upto next sunday at least anyway and after that is proper FI.

I wish Autumn was here as this nondescript summer weather is very tiresome, i'm probably on this forum the most keen to see some cool Polar airmasses brought over the UK.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Oh goody cold air! I hope to god that, that gets too 0 hours, does that mean from then on it just gets colder and colder up there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I wish Autumn was here as this nondescript summer weather is very tiresome, i'm probably on this forum the most keen to see some cool Polar airmasses brought over the UK.

Just think 30 miles south of you another day off largely unbroken sunshine and 73f

Dry with CET all above average but yes no 100f yet not sure if I want to see 58f to 64f just yet re the above

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Were the curtains open and was the light on? I worry about moths coming in, so if my windows are open, then the lights are off. Last year I had a moth infestation and the b....y little bl....ers chewed holes in my carpets. :blush:

Yes the moths are a b...y nuisance! Fortunately they haven't chewed holes in anything (that I've noticed!) but they make a mess. Had to go around with the hoover earlier to remove lots of moth corpses!

Getting back to Autumn, I hope we have an early one this year with a cool September. It's been a while since we've had had a proper cold one.