Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Warmth in October is my idea of grim. Give me 7c and gloomy any day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Cool and crisp autumn with clear windless days and nights where it reaches 12 or 13 by day and frost by night. Which is pleasant to walk about in the sun and work outside without feeling hot and lethargic all day.

Nice crunchy sound walking on leaves too when its dry. :good:

Posted

Cool and crisp autumn with clear windless days and nights where it reaches 12 or 13 by day and frost by night. Which is pleasant to walk about in the sun and work outside without feeling hot and lethargic all day.

Nice crunchy sound walking on leaves too when its dry. :good:

a fairly wet and windy autumn, interspersed with drier crisper interludes in between. we need some decent rain now folks, havent even had half of what you should expect in a year yet, infact well under!

Posted

a fairly wet and windy autumn, interspersed with drier crisper interludes in between. we need some decent rain now folks, havent even had half of what you should expect in a year yet, infact well under!

Well that means we need plenty of precipitation (mainly snow please!) in winter :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Water levels are fine here.... Had quite abit over the last couple of weeks and all resovoirs are near full. I have just had first day off work in like 10 days and guess what.... it rained all day! :good:

Posted

Excelent!

The -15C isotherm has developed a full nine days earlier than at any time in the last 13 years, 2006 was the next earliest occurance as the -15C isotherm developed on the 19th, we also seem to be accelarating away from our rivals because the -5C isotherm developed just seven days earlier than 2000.

Our next target is the -20C isotherm, this occured earliest in 2005, 2004 and 2003 on the 18th, 19th and 20th of September respectively. Now i personally doubt that we will have to wait over a month for a 5C drop in the Arctic temperature, so i think we have a good chance of seeing bigger gains against years since 1997.

I'm not at all sure that your suggestion of links with early -15C or any other isotherm has any validity for cold if that is what you are implying. Apologies if that is not the case.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Excelent!

The -15C isotherm has developed a full nine days earlier than at any time in the last 13 years, 2006 was the next earliest occurance as the -15C isotherm developed on the 19th, we also seem to be accelarating away from our rivals because the -5C isotherm developed just seven days earlier than 2000.

Our next target is the -20C isotherm, this occured earliest in 2005, 2004 and 2003 on the 18th, 19th and 20th of September respectively. Now i personally doubt that we will have to wait over a month for a 5C drop in the Arctic temperature, so i think we have a good chance of seeing bigger gains against years since 1997.

The coldest isotherm recorded in the UK was -24C in January 1987. Scotland will usually see the -5C isotherm (required for snow) flirting in September, England usually gets its first real wintry push in November.

Ok october then but since this is early maybe earlier.rolleyes.gif

Excelent!

The coldest isotherm recorded in the UK was -24C in January 1987. Scotland will usually see the -5C isotherm (required for snow) flirting in September, England usually gets its first real wintry push in November.

I don't think it was -24C, in the archive charts the -20C barely reached kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Oh no 7c really is neither one thing nor the other - certainly not warm or pleasant but not cold enough to benefit from snow/frost, etc. 2c-6c coupled with drizzle is the very worst weather possible imo - nothing interesting and only good for one thing - burning fuel! If you think long term it'd be better to have a short sharp winter rather than the chill spread for 8 months as less gas will be burnt for heating thus less global warming! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Oh no 7c really is neither one thing nor the other - certainly not warm or pleasant but not cold enough to benefit from snow/frost, etc. 2c-6c coupled with drizzle is the very worst weather possible imo - nothing interesting and only good for one thing - burning fuel! If you think long term it'd be better to have a short sharp winter rather than the chill spread for 8 months as less gas will be burnt for heating thus less global warming! :good:

Totally agree! I love cold if it is cold enough to bring snow, but 4-10C seems just pointless to me because unless you like cold for the sake of it feeling cold (I don't) then it's pointless in my opinion. If it ain't cold enough to snow, i'll take milder weather and cheaper bills for sure. I also love October heatwaves, it's a weird but wonderful feeling with the fairly weak sun and shortish days being able to wear shorts and a T Shirt during the day and sometimes even at night ala 2006. This year I'm hoping for that to happen in october with possibly 25C although that would be very hard to reach.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

An autumn like last year would suite me. Nice and pleasant with the first heavy rain not arriving until very late. The only thing it lacked was some proper warmth early on such as 1999 or 2003. Hopefully we get that this year.

An average winter would suit me very nicely. Ideally it should have a mixture of mild, windy and occasionally wet weather and periods of dry, cold and occassionally snowy conditions. If last February had been a repeat of Feb 1998 it would have been a perfect winter with a bit of everything. However, i look for dry and usable weather whatever the season so i'm probably the only one on here who would take a mild and dry winter.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I don't think it was -24C, in the archive charts the -20C barely reached kent.

The isotherms go up in intergres of 5C, so between -20C and -24C technically.

I'm not at all sure that your suggestion of links with early -15C or any other isotherm has any validity for cold if that is what you are implying. Apologies if that is not the case.

In theory it should mean that the Jet Stream will be slightly further south than if the same Jet pattern was prevelant with warmer uppers. Rather than how cold it is, it may perhaps be more important how far each offer extends, its interesting, though there has been no study to support any action.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Would love a bit of warmth in autumn to top up my tan, followed my a long cold winter with plenty of snow, convective hail from the west, and polar lows from the north! :unsure:

Posted

My least favourite kind of weather is mild and wet (10-15c). That way if you wear a waterproof coat you sweat buckets, but if you don't wear a coat you get drenched - it's lose-lose. Here would be my ideal Autumn:

September - Fairly dry with temperatures in the mid teens

October - Wet and stormy

November - Crisp and cold with the first snow (you can't beat a cold, crisp Bonfire Night!)

I went for cold wet with gales for Autumn and more snow and colder than last year for Winter.

To be honest i like a mixture of weather types in Autumn, i am hoping for alot of northerly blocking around bringing crisp airflows over the UK as well as cyclonic westerlies but more north of west than south of west so to avoid any horrible TM airmasses have had enough of them this summer,definately thre worst airmass there is anytime of year.

Posted

I love late "heatwaves" in October, we've had a couple here in the last 10 years. 20-25 degrees in mid October feels wrong, but so nice at the same time. I remember picnic-ing in Kew Gardens in mid Oct a couple of years back, 2008 i think. Glorious warmth and all the great colours of autumn, such a finality to the warmth - you know you won't see it again for 6 months, makes it so precious. A real "St Luke's little summer" is what i'm looking for this autumn.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'd like the first half of autumn to be dry bright and crisp followed by a proper 'nasty' first two weeks November with high winds and lashings of rain to rip the leaves off the trees, then cold and frosty second half into the second week of December… from then on it's the usual story of –10C nights and loads of snow until the end of February, but that's off topic :blink:

Posted

I want a warm Autumn followed by a cold winter! It would be nice to still have 30C in late September and a very warm October with low-mid 20s .....

Aaarrgh no,you've got to be having a larf rob! 30C is intolerable in mid-July let alone September,when anything "summery" after the equinox is definitely stepping on winter's toes! I want Autumn to be a maelstrom of violent storms interspersed with cold but sunny (if only to keep the 'other side' placated!) spells,before diving headlong into a visciously brutal,early and long-lasting winter with no respites. I can but dream....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Aaarrgh no,you've got to be having a larf rob! 30C is intolerable in mid-July let alone September,when anything "summery" after the equinox is definitely stepping on winter's toes! I want Autumn to be a maelstrom of violent storms interspersed with cold but sunny (if only to keep the 'other side' placated!) spells,before diving headlong into a visciously brutal,early and long-lasting winter with no respites. I can but dream....

Well said that man! I second, third and fourth that, underline it and embolden it then put it in font size 128.

Well said that man! I second, third and fourth that, underline it and embolden it then put it in font size 128.

If you could speak the local language, would you move to Ojmjakon for the winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think Kevin might have something like the 8th October 1995 in mind (a date he often mentions)- a hot sunny day across a large majority of the country due to a surge of southerly winds, and even Newcastle and Tynemouth managed 23C. 27th October 2005, during an otherwise gloomy month, was a very similar type of day, with widespread maxima above 20C. I also remember a very fine spell in the second week of October 1994 with warmth and hazy sunshine by day and cool misty nights.

I would like an episodic variety in both seasons with alternation between the following patterns: cold bright showery north and east winds, warm showery polar maritime westerlies & south-westerlies, dry sunny anticyclonic spells with warm days & cold nights, and warm southerlies featuring plenty of sunshine and high maxima (like the aforementioned October examples). But not much in the way of frontal rain or persistently cloudy weather.

Overall I would like winter to be about as snowy as the last one but with more pronounced mild spells in between the cold snowy ones, and preferably less marginality associated with the snowfalls. Some early snowfalls in October and November would also be welcomed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

As I seem to be the only person to have voted in the 'other' category in the poll for both Autumn and Winter I will expand a little.

I'd like September and October to be cold and wet with frequent gales, this giving way to an alternation of very cold with snow/ cold and wet with gales in November.

This can then lead into a winter which would make that of 2009/10 seem as though we'd just spent 3 months on a Mediterranean beach.