Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

As I seem to be the only person to have voted in the 'other' category in the poll for both Autumn and Winter I will expand a little.

I'd like September and October to be cold and wet with frequent gales, this giving way to an alternation of very cold with snow/ cold and wet with gales in November.

This can then lead into a winter which would make that of 2009/10 seem as though we'd just spent 3 months on a Mediterranean beach.

See my above post!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If you could speak the local language, would you move to Ojmjakon for the winter?

Hmmm, I have to think carefully about this. Without doubt the prospect of -50 to -60c is very appealing ( although I'd have to buy new thermometers to cope with the readings )but the downside in Ojmjakon is that there are weeks of stable anticyclonic conditions for those temperatures to be achievable in the first place, so you have extremely low temperatures but not much else happening.

What I'm really interested in is serious negative anomalies within our own climate so, on balance, I'd rather have a winter which is as snowy as 1947 and as cold as 1684 and stay where I am.

Anyway, Mrs Terminal might create a bit of a fuss if I suggested moving to Siberia.

Posted

Well my ideal autumn would be summer until late October, then winter- say the first half of autumn 2006 followed by the second half of autumn 1993. Failing that some crisp sunny days followed by frosty, foggy nights would do. Not weeks on end of 10-14C with cloud and rain like happened in most of the autumns of the early 2000s, or a repeat of autumn 1994 when the tempreature seemed to stay the same from September till mid-December.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Well my ideal autumn would be summer until late October, then winter- say the first half of autumn 2006 followed by the second half of autumn 1993. Failing that some crisp sunny days followed by frosty, foggy nights would do. Not weeks on end of 10-14C with cloud and rain like happened in most of the autumns of the early 2000s, or a repeat of autumn 1994 when the tempreature seemed to stay the same from September till mid-December.

I doubt we'll have that if we have been having 14c maxes all august (here anyway.)

Posted

i now reckon we will get a way below average autumn for temperatures. the pattern what we had last winter is still continuing after months and months , with high pressure to the north etc and there some trends of northerlies from the gfs as we head towards the end of august. look at 06z at the end of the run. cool air setting in place http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100812/06/360/h850t850eu.png look at the warmth going around the uk and the much cooler air developing over scandinavia.

i remember last september and it always seemed to be consistent warmth with temps at 21/22c. we havent even got above that for a whole week here at least, since july. the odd days above 21c and thats it.

Posted

i now reckon we will get a way below average autumn for temperatures. the pattern what we had last winter is still continuing after months and months , with high pressure to the north etc and there some trends of northerlies from the gfs as we head towards the end of august. look at 06z at the end of the run. cool air setting in place http://www.netweathe.../h850t850eu.png look at the warmth going around the uk and the much cooler air developing over scandinavia.

i remember last september and it always seemed to be consistent warmth with temps at 21/22c. we havent even got above that for a whole week here at least, since july. the odd days above 21c and thats it.

What sort of temps would that bring? We haven't had that for well over a month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I would like september to stay warm with a mixture of sunshine and showers/thunderstorms as i am yet to see one this year. The end of spetember starts to cool off with daytime highs of 10-15C, maybe the odd last 20C but night time lows around 5C. October starts of misty with cool or even the first of the cold and frosty nights, with highs in the low teens. The end of october we maybe start to see the first of the more widespead wintery weather with sleet and snow showers in places and night time lows record the first negatives widespread. November i would like to be the stormiest month with strong winds and gales but intervals of calmer, frosty periods. The end of november we maybe get the first widespead snow event and days that never reach double figures.

Posted

Less than 3 weeks to go and the METO are now forecasting into September !!

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Summer's over...........

Most certainly is only 12c here now, days are definately getting colder, start of month maxes were 16c now they are like 14c.

Posted

Hmmm, I have to think carefully about this. Without doubt the prospect of -50 to -60c is very appealing ( although I'd have to buy new thermometers to cope with the readings )but the downside in Ojmjakon is that there are weeks of stable anticyclonic conditions for those temperatures to be achievable in the first place, so you have extremely low temperatures but not much else happening.

You could just move to Coleraine?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Aaarrgh no,you've got to be having a larf rob! 30C is intolerable in mid-July let alone September,when anything "summery" after the equinox is definitely stepping on winter's toes! I want Autumn to be a maelstrom of violent storms interspersed with cold but sunny (if only to keep the 'other side' placated!) spells,before diving headlong into a visciously brutal,early and long-lasting winter with no respites. I can but dream....

Yup, 30c is just unpleasant on every level. I agree with Terminal Moraine, this is a perfect Autumn/Winter combination! The current weather is nice and Autumnal because opening my windows at night actually cools my room down.

What I'm really interested in is serious negative anomalies within our own climate so, on balance, I'd rather have a winter which is as snowy as 1947 and as cold as 1684 and stay where I am.

Anyway, Mrs Terminal might create a bit of a fuss if I suggested moving to Siberia.

You certainly like your cold! I don't think many people, even on here, would think -60 was appealing :)

You could just move to Coleraine?

-20 there most days?

Posted

I actually think summer is over. having temperatures just reaching 20 degrees indicates this to me whereas in mid july it was late 20's very regularly.

today has been very cool especially the air and rainy all day.boring weather i know but hopefully the start of much better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another heatwave BucksSnow- remember, it's only approaching mid-august, and we have only just passed the hottest part of the year. 10th August 2003 is when the all time temperature record was set for the UK- 7 years just 2 days ago. Summer is definitely not over. There are subtle signs of Autumn approaching but it shouldn't arrive proper for a while yet.

Posted

There comes a day in August every year when I can sense the moment summer dies. The actual date varies from one year to the next,and it doesn't matter if it's cool and grey or hot and sunny - something registers inside that the corner has been turned - the whole mood and feel shifts somehow. Can't put my finger on it but today is that auspicious day. Good riddance summer with all your attendant,myriad horrors. Welcome, Autumn. The calendar may say you aren't here but ignore it. Summer lies on the floor twitching. Stamp on it! Kill it! Oh,and quite coincidentally that today is the first day I can feel the death of summer,it's also the last day that I will be setting off for work in sunlight on a morning. At 5.58 today when I set out,the horizon lay straight through the midline of the sun. Tomorrow at that time,it won't have risen. Fantastic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another heatwave BucksSnow- remember, it's only approaching mid-august, and we have only just passed the hottest part of the year. 10th August 2003 is when the all time temperature record was set for the UK- 7 years just 2 days ago. Summer is definitely not over. There are subtle signs of Autumn approaching but it shouldn't arrive proper for a while yet.

With low pressure set to take charge again from Monday - Which for some reason I can see lasting all month again, I don't think we will see some real sunny weather until September. By that time the sun is still warm, but the UV index is too low to get a sun tan. :drinks:

I'm sorry but any chance of summer like weather after Monday I feel will come in Autumn.

Posted

There comes a day in August every year when I can sense the moment summer dies. The actual date varies from one year to the next,and it doesn't matter if it's cool and grey or hot and sunny - something registers inside that the corner has been turned - the whole mood and feel shifts somehow. Can't put my finger on it but today is that auspicious day. Good riddance summer with all your attendant,myriad horrors. Welcome, Autumn. The calendar may say you aren't here but ignore it. Summer lies on the floor twitching. Stamp on it! Kill it! Oh,and quite coincidentally that today is the first day I can feel the death of summer,it's also the last day that I will be setting off for work in sunlight on a morning. At 5.58 today when I set out,the horizon lay straight through the midline of the sun. Tomorrow at that time,it won't have risen. Fantastic!

Yes there is normally a day sometime in August when this feeling hits me as well i.e. the passing of summer and the start of autumn but it doesn't usually occur for me until the latter few days of the month - mind in some years it hasn't happened until sept notably 2006 and 1995. The 12th august is a bit too early for such a feeling to occur. The day when it arrives is when we see a wet windy day - not necessarily a cool day, but the first windy day usually gives me this feeling. Late August often sees the atlantic firing into gear and early gales in NW Scotland in particular. It is often a meloncholic time for me..

Today felt very summery in the warm sunshine at lunchtime depsite temps yet again failing to make 20 degrees - something we have been used to since late June - woeful maxes have been a common occurance here in Cumbria this year, but I am still in summer mode. I read somewhere that the cold winter will have a knock on effect on this autumn in terms of late leaf colour change and late appearance of fruits and nuts for example horse chestnuts and blackberries will be much later this year which could all seem quite odd if we are to see an early autumn in terms of the weather..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

With low pressure set to take charge again from Monday - Which for some reason I can see lasting all month again, I don't think we will see some real sunny weather until September. By that time the sun is still warm, but the UV index is too low to get a sun tan. :yahoo:

I'm sorry but any chance of summer like weather after Monday I feel will come in Autumn.

Well yes, I suppose it does (as always) depend on where you live. You may well be right for northwestern parts of Britain, but I can't see the south and east (including me) staying wet for long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

As last September showed you can still get warm and sunny weather right until the end of the month. The period around the middle of the month was fantastic IMO. 24C on the 12th with sunshine from dawn till dusk. Thereafter it was cooler with temperatures in the mid to high teens but with very light winds it still felt warm.

Posted

As last September showed you can still get warm and sunny weather right until the end of the month. The period around the middle of the month was fantastic IMO. 24C on the 12th with sunshine from dawn till dusk. Thereafter it was cooler with temperatures in the mid to high teens but with very light winds it still felt warm.

The 9th - 12th September was quite a nice period last year. Only 20.1C here on the 12th (24.1C on the 8th, did you mean that day?), but we had pretty much clear skies for 72 hours. There were some early low minima as a result.

Perhaps the most notable feature of the month was the dryness, from 5th September - 4th October I recorded only 2.0mm with precipitation on just 7 days. Sunshine levels were above average aswell (112%), with almost exactly average temperatures (+0.3C).

Posted

Given the strengthening La Nina in charge I suspect the early Autumn period will be quite dominated by the jet, its very 1998 like at the moment in terms of the N.Hemisphere pattern...so be happy we got much of a summer at all, because had it developed maybe 45 days earlier, what we have now would have been most of the summer like it was in 1998.

Posted

Was up in my native West Yorkshire this weekend and it certainly felt like a different country.

On Friday the temperature didn't get above 13 degrees - 13 , in August! - and it poured with rain all day long. At least it is green up there, but god, summer, it certainly wasn't!

Beutiful today though - had breakfast sat outside.