Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Autumnal this evening just 8c out there.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Oh goody cold air! I hope to god that, that gets too 0 hours, does that mean from then on it just gets colder and colder up there?

There will no doubt we fluctuations, however it does tend to get colder and colder, especially during October when there is no daylight.

Posted

Shurly shome mishtake?Just ten miles south of Lampeter at 02.00 it's 11-12C at 90% rh.

No mishtake!

8c at midnight but up to 10c by 0200.

Trawscoed minimum of 8c too last night.

Hope that clews it up.

Fairly Autumnal in west Wales since the start of July on the whole= dull, wet and mainly average temperatures throughout. Not above 23c since late June, while the highest of 'Summer' is way way back on May 22nd (27c).

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Very Autumnal this morning.

Wet and dark......cars had their lights on even at 8.30.

The nights and mornings are drawing in! drunk.gif

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Very Autumnal this morning.

Wet and dark......cars had their lights on even at 8.30.

The nights and mornings are drawing in! drunk.gif

Aw come on i know the nights are drawing in, but its not bright that early, sunrise is at 5.45am so its sure going to be brighter before that! It won't be that dark until the end of september and even then it'll still be brighter than you are saying!

Posted

I noticed that on the GFS6z too, if it makes it to 0 hours, then it will again be the earliest occurance since at least 1997 and a full nine days ahead of our nearest cold pooling rival, 2006.

The northern hemisphere as a whole is probably at its warmest during late July, the statistical thermal maximum for England is 12th August and the Arctic is usually at its warmest in late August.

well, did it make it?

Posted

There will no doubt we fluctuations, however it does tend to get colder and colder, especially during October when there is no daylight.

great! Weird, i noticed that they lose 3 hours per day!blink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Looks like we got our first -15C 850hPa temperature of the summer/autumn!

06z at T0

post-6901-007376600 1281440228_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10925016

BBC report says experts predict a delay of autumn.

Posted

hi i only come on here when its time to think about autumn....Last winter was great on here especially when the snow came ..jan 6 was the best for me.

anyways i am going to start posting any sign of autumn i see and id love it if other could do this as well please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I want a warm Autumn followed by a cold winter! It would be nice to still have 30C in late September and a very warm October with low-mid 20s as we haven't had a very warm October day down here in a while now. After mid October though we usually stop seeing 20C and it reverts to cloudy, wet and cool weather untill December when it starts really getting cold

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10925016

BBC report says experts pedict a delay of auturm.

A delay its been 14c/15c maxes here since the start of the month! Mind you thats not autumn weather, but its near it!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

I want a warm Autumn followed by a cold winter! It would be nice to still have 30C in late September and a very warm October with low-mid 20s as we haven't had a very warm October day down here in a while now. After mid October though we usually stop seeing 20C and it reverts to cloudy, wet and cool weather untill December when it starts really getting cold

Naw i'm sick of muggy sweaty cloud its BORING!? and i think that we will be well into the teens if not the high single digits here by mid october!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

06z at T0

When does that usually start heading down here?rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Naw i'm sick of muggy sweaty cloud its BORING!? and i think that we will be well into the teens if not the high single digits here by mid october!

Yes, but that's what I want, i'd rather be warm and not have high heating bills than have 8-10C which feels cold and gives no chance of snow.. at least if it's cold enough for snow but even I don't like snow untill winter. October can still be a decent month as the average max here is 15C but I want a real Indian summer here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I would like Autumn to be quite dry, and cool with some night frosts and not too much wind. As far as I know that would give the best Autumn colours.

I'm on holiday later than normal this year in the Highlands of Scotland, first week of December so if the leaves could hang on until then that would be nice. Equally I wouild love a good blast of Winter in the first week to put some snow on the hills.

As for Winter, unlikely to be better than last year but we can always hope!

Posted

i think i would like autumn to be dry,sunny but on the cool side and a winter with more snow and colder than last year and have voted that but i would also like to see a fair bit of sun in winter.some nice bright but cold with snow on the ground days :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Cold nights and chilly but sunny days for me under a nice cool airflow..........that would be a perfect Autumn for me, maybe with a decent wind storm and some early snow chucked in! smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We've had a few dry & calm autumns in recent years (a punch in the face after the soaking in those wet summers!) so I'd like to see a mixture of gales & fierce Atlantic storms (which push up very muggy tropical air thus have a lot of energy) and quieter dry cooler/warm periods with sunshine.

Cold weather can stay away till late Nov for me as 6c is only good for burning gas/money so it might as well be 12c-15c until it can turn cold proper.

Winter - I'd the theme to continue - some short but powerful storms mixed in with longer quiet periods with *sunshine*. Quiet periods either bitterly cold or fairly mild. Easterlies can stay away unless they are sufficiently cold/unstable enough to bring clear skies and snow showers. Weeks of AC gloom with a nagging, warmth sapping east wind are not welcome for me!

Posted

06z at T0

Excelent!

The -15C isotherm has developed a full nine days earlier than at any time in the last 13 years, 2006 was the next earliest occurance as the -15C isotherm developed on the 19th, we also seem to be accelarating away from our rivals because the -5C isotherm developed just seven days earlier than 2000.

Our next target is the -20C isotherm, this occured earliest in 2005, 2004 and 2003 on the 18th, 19th and 20th of September respectively. Now i personally doubt that we will have to wait over a month for a 5C drop in the Arctic temperature, so i think we have a good chance of seeing bigger gains against years since 1997.

When does that usually start heading down here?rolleyes.gif

The coldest isotherm recorded in the UK was -24C in January 1987. Scotland will usually see the -5C isotherm (required for snow) flirting in September, England usually gets its first real wintry push in November.

I'd like to see an autumn with the autumn leaves silhouetted against lovely clear blue skies, starting off warm then gradually cooling until winter proper when perhaps we could have some dry snow as opposed to the horrible slushy stuff, interspersed with blue skies and bright sunny days.

After this a gradual increase of temperature into spring as the snow melts under the power of the sun rather than the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

There is something about an October "heatwave" that I like.

Yeah I like 'em too. Can remember a night in Oct 2006 where I could sit out at night in a t-shirt (and I mean proper night not 6pm night!) - lovely it was. That last reminder of summer before things turn 80% grim for 4 months.