Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Hi all. People here in Aberdeen are all talking about the thunderstorm that hit us around midnight - 1am early this morning. Described as some as "insane" with lots of lightning. No shots from me sadly!

Does anyone know if it simply moved in from the S/SW, or did it "form" near or over the city? If the latter it will have been a long time since a storm built near or in the city.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Hi all. People here in Aberdeen are all talking about the thunderstorm that hit us around midnight - 1am early this morning. Described as some as "insane" with lots of lightning. No shots from me sadly!

Does anyone know if it simply moved in from the S/SW, or did it "form" near or over the city? If the latter it will have been a long time since a storm built near or in the city.

while keeping an eye out for early perseid meteors last night i saw distant lightning to my NE. Lit up the sky every 10-20 secs or so , must have been some storm , as i'm more than 50 miles south of aberdeen.

Posted

Calum, reports of drain covers popping up with the force of the water & roads apparently turning into temporary rivers!

As for lightning, yes was frequent although no reports of any actual lightning strikes. One of my work colleagues thought he was back on hols in Florida such was the lightning...maybe a touch of exaggeration on his part though!!

Posted

:unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

No T&L? Booo! Lol! That sort of event would have caused chaos in London even at 1am :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Friday, especially Saturday look good for here but we all know it can easily change and probably will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

All of a sudden, Friday is the one to look out for most rather than Saturday. Conditions do look rather good on Friday. Still time for change.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nice for the convective potential to be upgraded during the week, with what looked like a settled mid-week onwards looking from last week. Upper low sat east of Scotland today will slowly transfer S and SW across E Anglia and SE England over next 2-3 days, so heavy showers and thunderstorms becoming more widespread over England and Wales tomorrow and Friday, though main risk of storms always towards the east where we will have the steepest lapse rates beneath the upper low/cold pool moving SW. Some fairly strong upper winds/shear rotating around the upper low over next few days, so potential for storm organisation with hail, strong wind gust threat and even chance of a weak tornado where low-level shear develops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Latest GFS output looks more convincing for strong to perhaps severe thunderstorm development over Eern Scotland and NE England, with better CAPE and LIs progged along with good overlap of this instability and shear in the lower levels, as well as some strong deep-layer shear. Quite a lot of cloud at the moment over Nern and Eern Scotland from the wrap-around occluded front, but should be more in the way of cloud breaks later on today.

I was just about to say the same thing, nice upgrade on the latest run with much better levels of CAPE/Li over S Scotland and NE England.

Lots of blue sky and sunshine here so I'm feeling quite positive for later.

Got to walk about 30mins from work to get my car from the garage later which could be fun!

Posted

well look like just rain for us for today but there have been sunsine this morning all i do just cross my fingers. But loooking at the gfs seem updated it at the last min:lol:

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Looking like a lively late afternoon early evening up here in the NE with TORRO now issuing a severe weather forecast with main threats of fairly large hail (10-15mm) CG lightning and isolated tornadoes

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Just seen two funnel's on the way back from shopping aaarrrRRRrH and i had no camera.

Posted

there's a cell formed on the scottish - english border near berwick. A couple of sferics have been detected , one to keep an eye on if your in NE England

Posted

Seems to be exactly the same areas as yesterday getting the storms, E Scotland and far NE of England.

Shame there was no 12z Abermarle radiosonde ascent, never seem to release them in the areas where storms are most likely for some reason.

Posted

I been talking to a mate live in scottish Borders there had some thunder

there's a cell formed on the scottish - english border near berwick. A couple of sferics have been detected , one to keep an eye on if your in NE England

yes you right there been taking to a mate in greenlaw there had thunder

Edited by Stuart

Posted

nice one stu B) , centre of the low is getting close to our area now. Showers in fife at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

B) Coast.................

Posted

same here , nothing heard. Just a couple of breif showers passing through

Posted

Since this morning, Saturday looks like a convective day again for the East, The Midlands and Southern areas.

Looks like heavy downpours tomorrow afternoon across Central areas in particular. Wonder if they could be thundery. B)

Edited by Blizzards