Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks like Swansea area is getting some heavy rain,

Posted

Where's Pat and Jane Louise? - they stand a chance of a bit of sferic activity this morning :whistling:

post-6667-076851300%201282296973.jpg

post-6667-076851300 1282296973_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I don't know about Pat and Jane - but I'm here. From Gloucestershire :-)

Watching this morning's activity with interest although I was thinking the stuff over Wales might skirt north of here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just had thunder here, no joke!

I think its gunna miss here, haven't had anything here (yet again) lol

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

I don't know about Pat and Jane - but I'm here. From Gloucestershire :-)

Watching this morning's activity with interest although I was thinking the stuff over Wales might skirt north of here?

I think it may miss you

It seems like it may move over Wolverhampton Telford and the Stafford area moving NE so it'll probably just skirt north of me as well which is a good thing because my garden is already looking like a swamp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Where's Pat and Jane Louise? - they stand a chance of a bit of sferic activity this morning :whistling:

post-6667-076851300%201282296973.jpg

I'mma here along with trickey Coast. Watching the radars and following the forum :D I think Pat has gone camping. Hope he dosen't miss them here if they happen in Glos.Twister and lynux hopefully should be around later and anyone else from Gllos I may have missed. :)

Posted

I'mma here along with trickey Coast.

Good luck to you both then and anybody else who gets action today. I'll miss out in all probability but will have great fun reading the posts of anybody who, strikes it lucky!!!

strike-it-lucky.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

That's some seriously intense rain over the S Wales valleys!

Posted

Good luck to you both then and anybody else who gets action today. I'll miss out in all probability but will have great fun reading the posts of anybody who, strikes it lucky!!!

strike-it-lucky.jpg

well that not be me then coast but nerver know lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Are there any chances of storms later today or tomorrow in the south west/south wales?

Posted

I think its gunna miss here, haven't had anything here (yet again) lol

It's flippin close mind and extremely active according to the IOW detector

Posted

I think it may miss you

It seems like it may move over Wolverhampton Telford and the Stafford area moving NE so it'll probably just skirt north of me as well which is a good thing because my garden is already looking like a swamp

Yeah that may well happen, although looking at the radar Im not placing any bets just yet, theres a chance it could just hit us if it changes shape a bit.

Posted

Yeah that may well happen, although looking at the radar Im not placing any bets just yet, theres a chance it could just hit us if it changes shape a bit.

It may well hit us but i think if it does it'll be mainly on the fringes of this rain

It'll also be interesting to see if it can maintain it's current intensity once it moves away from the higher ground in Wales

Edited by Gordon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

That was probably the worst thunderstorm i have seen for over a year here. Very heavy downpours whilst driving around, some flooding in places. And saw 3 fire brigade out too. Also had a call from a friend who has had his house phoneline fried from lightning. The satiellite has also been damaged. We have had so much rain in a little space of time.

Posted

It's flippin close mind and extremely active according to the IOW detector

Yeah i know, i think its just pure unlucky it wasnt a bit further east! Its been hard to tell as i live by a fairly busy road, but it does sound at times like you can hear very faint rumbles, but i really cant tell!

That was probably the worst thunderstorm i have seen for over a year here. Very heavy downpours whilst driving around, some flooding in places. And saw 3 fire brigade out too. Also had a call from a friend who has had his house phoneline fried from lightning. The satiellite has also been damaged. We have had so much rain in a little space of time.

And from going on that, maybe it was better that i missed out then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yeah i know, i think its just pure unlucky it wasnt a bit further east! Its been hard to tell as i live by a fairly busy road, but it does sound at times like you can hear very faint rumbles, but i really cant tell!

And from going on that, maybe it was better that i missed out then?

Well i gotta say, i love storms and im not scared of them, but this one was pretty terrifying

Posted

hope no one was hart

20 August 2010 Last updated at 08:44 ]

New weather warning for Wales after overnight rain

_48798932_48798933.jpg Severe weather warnings are in place for 15 of the 22 counties in Wales A severe weather warning has been issued for many parts of Wales after heavy overnight rain and strong winds.

The Met Office said there would be further periods of heavy downpours on Friday with motorists urged to take extra care.

Stena Line earlier cancelled its 1100 BST Fishguard-Rosslare and 1500 BST Rosslare-Fishguard sailings.

BBC Wales meteorologist Derek Brockway said of the unseasonable August forecast: "Summer is on hold."

Friday's Met Office warning has been issued for 15 of the 22 Welsh counties: Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Swansea and Torfaen.

Forecasters said there would be further periods of heavy rain with accumulations of 15mm (0.6ins) or more in three hours at times, especially over high ground.

Mr Brockway predicted that most of Wales would have a "soaking". Snowdonia could see 80mm (3.14in) of rain by the end of Friday, and there will be fresh to strong winds, with hill fog bringing poor travelling conditions.

He added: "The reason for the unsettled weather is the jet stream which is further south than it should be and that is steering low pressure in from the Atlantic.

'Surface water'

"The air is moist and humid and that means plenty of rain. So there will be more rain and drizzle at times, some of it heavy, especially on the hills and mountains, with extensive low cloud."

More rain is forecast for Friday night and Saturday, although north Wales may become drier and brighten up.

The Environment Agency and the Met Office said they continued to monitor the situation closely and advise emergency services and local authorities.

Mid and West Wales Fire Service had three weather-related calls overnight, but described them as minor.

Between midnight and 0100 BST they were called to Gorseinson, Llansamlet and Glynneath because drains could not cope with the water.

On Friday morning there were three flood watches in place. Two were in Gwynedd: Fairbourne to Ganllwyd and Rhydymain, and Dyffryn Ardudwy to Nant Gwynant, and from the Dyfi estuary in Ceredigion to Dinas Mawddwy and Llanbrynmair, Powys.

Meic Davies, north Wales flood risk manager for Environment Agency Wales, said on Thursday there was a risk of localised surface water flooding from overflowing drains across north west Wales.

"We continue to monitor the situation closely and advise emergency services, and urge the public in these areas to remain vigilant."

Free river and sea flood warnings are available at www.environment-agency.gov.uk or by calling 0845 988 1188.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-11030419

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lightning logo for London for tomorrow!

It was bang on last weekend (well, NW Kent at least judging by texts I received at the BBQ :whistling:), so hopefully a repeat for tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I'm watching that blob over SW Wales. If it keeps it's present track it should come very close to use unless it fizzles out. Also been a few other intense looking areas of rain around as well in the north. All in all it doesn't look a good morning forecast away from Wales.

Just went to the south of us. Typical.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

IMO, I would keep watch for funnels/tornadoes across Wales at the moment. Running the radar back and forwards, it strikes me (pardon the punne) that intensification has seen the large cell grow Eastwards...certainly with supercells, those that push E in a strong SW-NE flow, stand much higher risk of spawning funnels/tornadoes as the cloud becomes much more influenced by the high levels of shear. I don't see it as much of a coincidence either that as it's shifted slightly further E, the precip rapidly intensified!!