Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Walkers Guess Where It Will Rain And Win £10

westysweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Just searched the Watchdog site I can't find the report I watched, but I did see it.Found this though http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325774/Walkers-ad-campaign-costing-crisp-firm-packet.html

Its a pity I'm not fussed on crisps or I would join in I could certainly put the money to good use

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Just got back from work ready to make my pick to find Monday's map is full already!

On the plus side, I won another tenner yesterday. :)

Exact same happened to me, in from work at 4pm and all squares were taken.

I think they should open up Tuesdays map so that us unfortunate folk who couldn't get a punt in today can get one.....before all the cloggers get in again tommorow.

So far in this whole competition I have managed to place 1 bet altogether, thats for this Sunday in the SW of Ireland.

Posted

Get in quick. The walkers site so far is working nicely. The wife & I got our picks sorted within a couple of minutes.

Good luck everybody :good:

Edited by Spawney

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Indeed all went smoothly, Ireland where it looks most promising filling up, got mine there though!

Posted

Yep got 4 in ireland today, after not being able to get anything yesterday, full credit to Walkers that the site is the fastest I've seen it for a couple of weeks, alot of effort for just one day of the competition.

Posted

looking at the stats:

There are 21000 squares to play a day

Of these, i am seeing that around 17.5% of the squares incur rain between 8-5. (some days the map is >60%, many others <5%)

I would then guess at an average of 45-50% of these squares are selected for the correct time.

Based on these assumption, during a 48 day period, walkers will have to pay out £837,900.

(21000 x 0.175 x 0475 = 1746 x 48 = 83790. This equates to a payout of £837,900.)

Paying out under a million pound is small fry for a massive competition to be run by pepsico (walkers owners).

I would go as far as saying that the publicity (i.e the full cost of the advertising campaign) cost in excess of a million alone.

Paul

Edited by Paul T

Posted

Have put down only my 2nd prediction is today the last day we can do it?

Gone for Eastern Ireland and SW Scotland and hoping rain pushes in quicker than forecast.

It will only let me do one per day how come you've got 2 guesses?

Have put down only my 2nd prediction is today the last day we can do it?

It will only let me do one per day how come you've got 2 guesses?

One for me, one for family.

Is it possible to swap days around, it is belting done in yesterdays guess, whereas it was belting yesterday for today guess. :lol:

Posted

Lost out on todays tenners and I don't hold much hope for tomorrow. Im hoping either Mondays or Tuesdays spot will bring me to £100, I'll be happy with that! :D

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Missed out again today (picking square) but won another tenner yesterday for my spot in N. Devon bringing my total winnings to a cool £110.

According to the Walkers site there will be a new grid for the 17th on Monday morning. So it seems you'll be able to pick squares right up to Tuesday, rather than Tuesday being the last day. :D

Just to add, I seem to be doing better predicting further in advance than I was when it was just a couple of days ahead based on my increased win rate!

looking at the stats:

There are 21000 squares to play a day

Of these, i am seeing that around 17.5% of the squares incur rain between 8-5. (some days the map is >60%, many others <5%)

I would then guess at an average of 45-50% of these squares are selected for the correct time.

Based on these assumption, during a 48 day period, walkers will have to pay out £837,900.

(21000 x 0.175 x 0475 = 1746 x 48 = 83790. This equates to a payout of £837,900.)

Paying out under a million pound is small fry for a massive competition to be run by pepsico (walkers owners).

I would go as far as saying that the publicity (i.e the full cost of the advertising campaign) cost in excess of a million alone.

Paul

For comparison, Coca Cola are giving away 1 x Xbox Elite with Kinect and Game every hour for a whole month. So at roughly £200 per prize, that's £4,800 a day and £144,000 over the course of the promotion.

Posted

Looks like another tenner for me this afternoon from Skye :) Which makes it 3 out of 4 wins this week - not bad considering the increased interest meant I missed a couple of days!

Posted

I had two square just to the NE of fortwilliam yesterday. I checked and they had over 4mm in 2 hours, let alone 3 (net weather radar) within my time slot, and it says that I lost.... Very strange ??

Posted

That's odd - but looking at the squares that won, compared with radar archives, I think there will be a lot more in the same boat as you. Interestingy, the only winning squares in the Cairngorms, for example, are over lower ground.

I think - as we've suspected before - that they discount snowfall and that's why you didn't win :unsure:

(fortunately my square is a confirmed winner - think that brings me up to £280)

Posted

Oh, I didn't relies about deducting snowfall. The mountains to the north east of fortwilliam must have a couple of feet of snow on them then?

They probably had a few inches - I know the Cairngorms did.

They don't say anything about snowfall - but it does appear they don't count it. It is, specifically, rainfall we're predicting, not precipitation. They should have made it clear though. Think I lost a couple of tenners earlier in the comp for the same reason :(

Posted

Its open now this morning, get in quick.

I managed to get the square right over my house for Wednesday.

Posted

I've always avoided my house for the simple reason that whatever rain we get here there'll always be more elsewhere! :lol: Gone for Titterstone Clee Hill on the Worcs/Shrops border

Posted

I've always avoided my house for the simple reason that whatever rain we get here there'll always be more elsewhere! :lol: Gone for Titterstone Clee Hill on the Worcs/Shrops border

I'll know if I've won or not easily enough. Seems that a system is moving through and clearing Wednesday so thats why I picked here. It always rains AM here.

Posted

Not much left in England at 10am. Unbelievable! Northamptonshire pretty much all taken up so had to chance a little further E - risky if the front stalls over more central areas as currently indicated.

Posted

Has anybody else had any emails from walkers about yesterdays results yet?