Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2011 Stormchase Chat & Banter

Paul Sherman

Posted

OK its 100 per cent official ...yet again another year of doubts I managed to pull it off.....

Im going :rofl: ..

now time to watch the videos from Gadget man...

edit sorry I think this is the wrong thread :oops:

KEEP YOUR SNOW..GIVE ME SUPERCELLS ANYDAY :whistling:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

OK its 100 per cent official ...yet again another year of doubts I managed to pull it off.....

Im going :rofl: ..

now time to watch the videos from Gadget man...

edit sorry I think this is the wrong thread :oops:

KEEP YOUR SNOW..GIVE ME SUPERCELLS ANYDAY :whistling:

Yey...........I'll save some hairy sweets yahoo.gif

Posted

we will have a good laugh again Claire :drinks:

If I feel tired I know where to go for some cushions :lol:

Maybe these posts need to be moved to the other Storm chase thread :hi:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

144 Days until Lift Off :yahoo::yahoo::drunk:

753040-PIM0106.gif354934530v2_400x400_Front.jpg

THIS IS HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT..

yesterday went through all my camera equipment,,checking everything out

My seat is GOLD Dust and not up for sale..Mr Snow

Cookie...Have a thought for me...I have 22 days :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

And you'll have you cable before then.

Quentin...Honestly mate I wouldnt worry..

To be honest I caught more pics this year without the cable...

So its up to you really...but thx anyway :drinks:

Posted

Hey People,

Just wondering , has anyone booked flights yet?

Im trying to wait myself for january sales,

Im gonna be flying from dublin and i persume it would be just best to go straight over to america instead of goin to stansted or something 1st?

The weeks are flying by!, cant wait!

Posted

BA and AA usually compete in January for seats so I'll be waiting till then. AA at the mo is about £580, BA is £560 for Heathrow direct to Dallas, got mine for £380 this season just gone. Just noticed though on both sites that they are offering both BA and AA flights, so you could end up flying out with AA and back with BA. Don't think this was the case this year.

Guess you could always get a short flight from Dublin to Heathrow if it works out way cheaper :)

Posted

BA and AA usually compete in January for seats so I'll be waiting till then. AA at the mo is about £580, BA is £560 for Heathrow direct to Dallas, got mine for £380 this season just gone. Just noticed though on both sites that they are offering both BA and AA flights, so you could end up flying out with AA and back with BA. Don't think this was the case this year.

Guess you could always get a short flight from Dublin to Heathrow if it works out way cheaper :)

Ye ill look into that, gettin a cheap flight to london would be best if it means gettin a direct flight to dallas, as stop overs on the way over would be risky i think as ther could be delays.

380 is great, thats about 450 euro, im goin to New Jersey tough afterwards to visit an uncle of my for a week so ye even more misery for me trying to look for flights.

I worked it out at about 900 euro , if that goes down to 700 even id be delighted.... All eyes on the sales so!

Are u planning on goin over on the actual designated day for travel... or do some people go a day early if its cheaper?, sorry for all the questions pal ha

Posted

Same here. Past 2 chases I've gone over on the designated day but next year I'll be heading out a day earlier and stopping at the best western :D

Posted

The Xmas gathering is but a week away, just want to see if I have the number correct

Paul S

Stu

Ian Cameron

Dave Vicary

Jo

Any others turning up like Nick F or any of the other South Easterners.

I am pretty sure Ian and Stu might meet me at my shop and head over for about 6-630pm to the bar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

The Xmas gathering is but a week away, just want to see if I have the number correct

Paul S

Stu

Ian Cameron

Dave Vicary

Jo

Any others turning up like Nick F or any of the other South Easterners.

I am pretty sure Ian and Stu might meet me at my shop and head over for about 6-630pm to the bar

My Xmas work do is on the 15th, so I may need a top-up with you guys haha....

Posted

Im excited Arron...and its ages away...lol

Going to start watching the live streams soon...I do this every year around this time.. :drinks:

And checking the predictions out for a good ramp effect...If Paul lets me :help:

Paul I need a threaD :rofl:

With a La Nina, you will tend to get a more amplify jet stream pattern. This would mean a higher chance of seeing stronger shortwaves energy moving along the the upper jet. So I would think that the chances would be greater for an active severe weather season.

I really think 2011 will have an early start to tornado season as La Nina is famous for this. I predict that conditions could be similar to that of 2008.

Thanks,

Jeff Mckown

According to a recent article (See link below for details), "U.S. scientists say La Niña-controlled weather patterns have the potential to produce more severe storms".

So I think we will see a higher chance of having above normal severe weather activities, but trying to determine where we will see the most active weather is just too early to tell. ;)

elninonorthamericanweather_1.png

Going into Hell...for the newbies

sorry Paul Im getting carried away..lol

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Hey all,

I missed the summer BBQ, but really hope to be able to come to the next meet up. Will be great to get to know you all before we hit the storms. So excited now. Saving up for flights !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

With a La Nina, you will tend to get a more amplify jet stream pattern. This would mean a higher chance of seeing stronger shortwaves energy moving along the the upper jet. So I would think that the chances would be greater for an active severe weather season.

A point to note the Super Tuesday tornadoes were in La Nina year...........:whistling:

Posted

Hey People,

Just wondering , has anyone booked flights yet?

Im trying to wait myself for january sales,

Im gonna be flying from dublin and i persume it would be just best to go straight over to america instead of goin to stansted or something 1st?

The weeks are flying by!, cant wait!

I normally find it cheaper to just go to the Irish BA or AA website and select DFW from here (Cork) this will include an Aerlingus flight to Heathrow that will be a hell of allot cheaper than booking the connecting flight separately.

We normally meet up in the Hotel in Heathrow the night before flights on tour 1 for the pre-stormchase management meeting / meet up. I used to book a separate flight to London to accomodate this, but have found in recent years that if you can book that as a single trip the automated system fill give you a much cheaper round trip for the inconvience for having to arrange possible overnight accomodation, which I needed anyway.

Posted

I normally find it cheaper to just go to the Irish BA or AA website and select DFW from here (Cork) this will include an Aerlingus flight to Heathrow that will be a hell of allot cheaper than booking the connecting flight separately.

We normally meet up in the Hotel in Heathrow the night before flights on tour 1 for the pre-stormchase management meeting / meet up. I used to book a separate flight to London to accomodate this, but have found in recent years that if you can book that as a single trip the automated system fill give you a much cheaper round trip for the inconvience for having to arrange possible overnight accomodation, which I needed anyway.

Cheers John,:hi:

Ive been checkin BA regularly for flights, id be much happier goin to Heathrow from dublin if it means gettin a direct flight from there.

Didnt know about the general meet up before tour 1, i shall be marking that date on my calender so! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

As far as La Nina years go, I seem to think the threats tend to be more frequent but further east than other years and more progessive. Seemingly, the best years recently have been where La Nina has been transitioning to neutral as spring arrives. This is pretty much anecdotal from the few years I've looked at. Would be interesting if anyone more meteorologically inclined could back this up or shoot me down :)

Still waiting on flights to get cheaper. I expected direct flights to be pushing £500 this time of the year (pre sales) but am surprised there are no bargains yet by taking multiple connections like I did last year. I imagine there's a ton of extra surcharges to pay over last year so we have the privilege of being molested by security agents as we pass through the airport etc :)