Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2011 Stormchase Chat & Banter

Paul Sherman

Posted

Do you know I spent years trying to avoid just saying to immigration "I am going stormchasing" the first time that I did in 2000 the gentleman in Atlanta said " I heard bout people like you!" So for the next 9 trips i was visiting friends, sightseeing, starting a knitting circle or carrying out research on behalf of the WI for whom I used to do slide shows.

So repeat after me "I am going storm chasing with Reed Sherman or was it Paul Timmer?"

post-2466-0-36515800-1294050127_thumb.jp

Photo courtesy of someone but I can't remember who. It wasn't me as I was driving at the time, we were on the interstate 35 heading north after the tornado which had caused the damage on the southbound side of the road. Pauls van is the one in front.

Tom

Thats some picture... how did they not see it coming??... it must of been rain wrapped was it?

ON another note, lads, say if u's end up goin through a severe hail shower , golf -baseball size , and the cars get ...."a makeover", do u's hav to pay extra then for them being damaged or what?. Or do yas try get into a decent shelter first b4 witnessing any crazy size hail?

Sorry for all the questions ha

Posted

spend the last 2hrs looking around at flights..

Prices from 425.00-514.00...with stops :smiliz34:

not sure if I should wait or book today

do I gamble and wait for lower prices...or end up paying a huge amount :smiliz23:

last year I waited and got it very cheap..BUT it doesnt mean I will be lucky this time

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Thats some picture... how did they not see it coming??... it must of been rain wrapped was it?

ON another note, lads, say if u's end up goin through a severe hail shower , golf -baseball size , and the cars get ...."a makeover", do u's hav to pay extra then for them being damaged or what?. Or do yas try get into a decent shelter first b4 witnessing any crazy size hail?

Sorry for all the questions ha

sometimes we just have a laugh...and core punch.......lol :smiliz19:

Posted

for DubWeatherAddict

cant find the hail one at present

a few more for the storm starved

IM ALL FIRED UP :yahoo:

flight BEING BOOKED SHORTLY :clap:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

spend the last 2hrs looking around at flights..

Prices from 425.00-514.00...with stops :smiliz34:

not sure if I should wait or book today

do I gamble and wait for lower prices...or end up paying a huge amount :smiliz23:

last year I waited and got it very cheap..BUT it doesnt mean I will be lucky this time

I'm not sure whether to gamble or book now either :unknw: I've got no marker though - what prices did you guys pay for flights last year?

Also, is it best to arrive on the designated travel day, or come out a day early and stay in a hotel?

Posted

I'm not sure whether to gamble or book now either :unknw: I've got no marker though - what prices did you guys pay for flights last year?

Also, is it best to arrive on the designated travel day, or come out a day early and stay in a hotel?

I was lucky last year and took a gamble and waited,and ended up with 4.17? I think....

but this year I dont feel lucky with the flights so Im taking the opposite gamble and buying my flight in the next hr with AA OR USA Continental...2 pound difference....

Na dont feel lucky with the flights this year BUT I have a amazing feeling about the tours..

Last year was mind blowing...This year I have a feeling its going to scare the life out of me.. :w00t:

2 bad(heaven as come early) dreams in the last 2 weeks. :lol: ...of Tornado outbreaks over my head. :lol:

BE CAFERFULL OF THE LIGHTNING..IT CAN KILL :w00t:

THIS NEARLY HAD ME

WE have parties by the road with buds...listen to us on this :drinks:

most lightning you WILL EVER SEE

LAST VID..OR i WILL HOG THE THREAD :smiliz19:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Missed this one by 6 days in June 2010 and totally gutted.

Imo this was one of the best Videos from last year, simply amazing Rotation and shows just how Supercells have no choice but to drop Tubes when they rotate this hard.

Really shows well the Mesocyclone Occluding a few Times and the RFD Notch and Collar Cloud rotating around the Parent Meso.

Paul S

Posted

Missed this one by 6 days in June 2010 and totally gutted.

Imo this was one of the best Videos from last year, simply amazing Rotation and shows just how Supercells have no choice but to drop Tubes when they rotate this hard.

Really shows well the Mesocyclone Occluding a few Times and the RFD Notch and Collar Cloud rotating around the Parent Meso.

Paul S

Awesome video....

Going to do better vids this year...

Using different tactics with my cameras.

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Cookie, were your £450 flights from the Western Isles all the way to Dallas? If so, who with?

Posted

Cookie, were your £450 flights from the Western Isles all the way to Dallas? If so, who with?

I wish, it would cost £250 just to get from the Western isles to Glasgow!

Im going from Heathrow and staying in London. Haven't worked out how I'm going to get from here to London yet!

Posted

Lads, have ya s seen / intercepted many gustnadoes? , i look to be in a car driving through one! :D

Lol

Yep we usually lose count of the Gustnadoes we see more especially in Outflow Dominant HP Supercells, if we are East or South East of the Supercell and cold blasts of air rush at you then you know chances of Tornadoes are diminishing but Gustnadoes usually are aplenty along the leading edge of the Storm. Another great thing to do on Down days and when Dewpoints are Low and Temperatures are High is Dust Devil Chasing, driving the Cars through a 30-40mph Dust Devil is always fun :smiliz19:

One Gustnado that hit us on June 6th 2007 actually smashed the back window of one of our convoy in South Dakota, they can be quite strong and if they have debris entailed can get a bit nasty, but they usually only consist of dirt from the fields etc

Paul S

Posted

I wish, it would cost £250 just to get from the Western isles to Glasgow!

Im going from Heathrow and staying in London. Haven't worked out how I'm going to get from here to London yet!

Thought it sounded a bit cheap!

Posted

Lol

Yep we usually lose count of the Gustnadoes we see more especially in Outflow Dominant HP Supercells, if we are East or South East of the Supercell and cold blasts of air rush at you then you know chances of Tornadoes are diminishing but Gustnadoes usually are aplenty along the leading edge of the Storm. Another great thing to do on Down days and when Dewpoints are Low and Temperatures are High is Dust Devil Chasing, driving the Cars through a 30-40mph Dust Devil is always fun :smiliz19:

One Gustnado that hit us on June 6th 2007 actually smashed the back window of one of our convoy in South Dakota, they can be quite strong and if they have debris entailed can get a bit nasty, but they usually only consist of dirt from the fields etc

Paul S

My Excitement level for this trip just keeps going up! haha

Posted

I think it was a gustnado that scared the c**p out of me in 2008. We were south of the storm - outflow dominant without any real structure. Led on the tarmac (I have a habit of lying down watching the weather) and it looked like an inverted ampitheatre above me - then down the bottom of the road a column of dist/dirt lifted up and started connecting with the cloudbase. We all scrambled into the van. Stopped on the main road, and it formed over us, taking the air from our lungs - then moved off into the fields -

I'm up for chasing but not if I can't stay in a safe position. Still not sure if I was looking at a meso making its way around a hp supercell, or just a gustnado. It was the first supercell I've ever come up on, on the first chase - still enjoyed it after that point, but just never felt safe enough

Sam

Posted

Lol

Paul S

flights have changed already

Infact if you keep checking every 10 minutes they keep changing from different sites..

the cheapest I can find now is 435...with AA...Leaving at 12.45pm Dallas

NOT BOOKED....RESERVED.

AMERICAN AIRLINES

LHR London

May 09, 2011

12:15 PM

DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth

May 09, 2011

04:55 PM

Economy

O..NON STOP

...................................... ...........................................

40A

AMERICAN AIRLINES ONE CHANGE OVER.....1HR

DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth

Jun 01, 2011

12:45 PM

IAH Houston

Jun 01, 2011

01:50 PM

Economy

O

26A

AMERICAN AIRLINES

OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS

IAH Houston

Jun 01, 2011

04:20 PM

LHR London

Jun 02, 2011

07:30 AM

Economy

LHR London

May 09, 2011 12:15 PM

DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth

May 09, 2011 04:55 PM

Boeing 767-300 Passenger(763)

I have Mileage Balance: 9,502 Miles with AA...anyone know how to use them???

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Happy New Year Everybody xxx

It's got busy on here all of a sudden!!

I managed to book my flights on Christmas eve for £431.

Flying on the 28th April with British Airways (They had better times and I figured it didn't matter who I went with as they were also running the AA flights as well which were more expensive) and returning on the 11th. Not missing out AGAIN!!!

Will probably stay in a hotel at heathrow the night before like I did last year - best decision ever.

Flights are cheaper online at times when there is less web traffic so really early in the morning, like 5-6am you should pick up the best prices.

Also I went through quidico (a cashback website) and booked via last minute earning me lovely 1% cashback. :D Every little helps. :blush:

J x

Edited by TornadoJo

Posted

Happy New Year Everybody xxx

It's got busy on here all of a sudden!!

I managed to book my flights on Christmas eve for £431.

Flying on the 28th April with British Airways (They had better times and I figured it didn't matter who I went with as they were also running the AA flights as well which were more expensive) and returning on the 11th. Not missing out AGAIN!!!

Will probably stay in a hotel at heathrow the night before like I did last year - best decision ever.

Flights are cheaper online at times when there is less web traffic so really early in the morning, like 5 6am you should pick up the best prices.

Also I went through qudico (a cashback website) and booked via last minute earning me lovely 1% cashback. :D Every little helps. :blush:

J x

good tip...will try tomorrow early morning.....Reserved my flight for 24hrs unless I get a better deal at 4.35..

Also was glad to get a window seat :clap:

post-3696-0-50194300-1294068227_thumb.jp

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Jo

Me, Tom and Ian Cameron will be staying at the Hotel at Heathrow as well on the 27th April so if you want to stay at the same Hotel let me know and we can all get the transfer to the Airport from the Hotel together. :good:

Paul