Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

I'm just getting excited when the BBC change our forecast from grey cloud to white cloud. I think thats the most realistic change in the forecast we can expect.

:rofl: That cracks me up! I wonder when a grey cloud officially becomes a white cloud? :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hmm....got some light to moderate rain ATM...didn't know it was forecasted. It looks to be developing off the North Welsh coast and drifting down through the cheshire gap

Posted

I really want no more snow as it is very troublesome where I live as the road does not get gritted. I want no more snow at all even light snow. As we need some more mild winters for a few years. I'll like 55 years of mild weather in winter with stormy weather but no snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I really want no more snow as it is very troublesome where I live as the road does not get gritted. I want no more snow at all even light snow. As we need some more mild winters for a few years. I'll like 55 years of mild weather in winter with stormy weather but no snow.

What a horrible thought!

Obviously, everyone's entitled their own opinion, but I think you'll find yourself in the minority posting the above in this thread! :)

Posted

What a horrible thought!

Obviously, everyone's entitled their own opinion, but I think you'll find yourself in the minority posting the above in this thread! :)

I like milder weather in winter as it suits the older people better and disabled people better. I know it my own opinion but a lot of e-mails I get about my own weather forcasts 70% I get want milder winters and our normal summer. As on another weather forum that I'm a modarater of. We had a post about weather in the next 100 years and dussion about it. And I have been given charts for the 10 years only pridections. But people need to pm me for full details of it will be sent in about 7-9 weeks as due to the complex in prouceing it. will be sent by post only as if I E-mail it will 45 mins in sending it as it's over 80mb in size but on paper it is less as you'll get 30% of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

expecting a horrible wet day tomorrow. the worst setup is high pressure and NW winds, bring back 13-15th January this year! they were dry days

dreadful washout tomorrow for N midlands

post number 553, wish we still had like/dislike buttons, maybe forum should use like/dislike for posts rather than a reputation system? like on youtube

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

I do wish this high pressure would bugger off, i know people say high pressure hanging around for weeks on end in Winter has no effect on Spring/Summer but id rather get the lashings of rain which save themselves for the Summer every year out the way now.

Posted

I do wish this high pressure would bugger off, i know people say high pressure hanging around for weeks on end in Winter has no effect on Spring/Summer but id rather get the lashings of rain which save themselves for the Summer every year out the way now.

get ready for lashings of rain tomorrow then. bring on the cold dry air from thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Really fed up with the boring weather. Cold but nothings happening with it. I will soon be wishing ahead Spring weather so soon i couldnt care less if it doesnt snow!

Posted

hmm....got some light to moderate rain ATM...didn't know it was forecasted. It looks to be developing off the North Welsh coast and drifting down through the cheshire gap

Yeah AJ all websites/tv weather everything under do cheshire gap, thats why Im expecting a horror tomorrow very wet and windy

Posted

Yeah AJ all websites/tv weather everything under do cheshire gap, thats why Im expecting a horror tomorrow very wet and windy

Yep, me thinks you might be right Mark...GFS is picking up some rainfall for the north & west of our region tomorrow, and if it has undercooked the Cheshire Gap effect, then it could well be a soaker :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Not been on here in weeks. Weather is really boring for the past few weeks :( And looks like it will be for the next week or two as well. The next event which even has a small possibility of some decent snow is.. actually i can't even find one on GFS. But then i'm a newbie.

Anybody with a bit more knowledge got opinions on the likelihood of some wintery weather in the next few weeks ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Poor charts again this morning. I reckon February could be mostly snowless too now. If it wasnt for December, this winter is fast approaching, extremely rubbish but as i say Late November and December was awesome so thankfully it wont be that way!

Posted

Not been on here in weeks. Weather is really boring for the past few weeks :( And looks like it will be for the next week or two as well. The next event which even has a small possibility of some decent snow is.. actually i can't even find one on GFS. But then i'm a newbie.

Anybody with a bit more knowledge got opinions on the likelihood of some wintery weather in the next few weeks ?

may be some snow in 46 weeks time. before then I would just like it dry, should be thurs to sat this week

Posted

Wake me up when the weather gets interesting...that will be a long time away. I so hope the rest fo the year isnt as boring as this. Cant stand this quiet weather.

Bring on spring and summer it is better for you all give us a hot summer as thats what I want last year I fell in the snow. Just one word (******* ****** *** ****). We all know our winter is gone. untill next Dec as threre as been reports in the press that's it over. One of the Swedish newspapers as reported that it's over for the Uk but not them. I know you'll all are dreaming of snow but for one I'm not dreaming of snow I'm dreaming of the summer weather. And the few thunderstorms we will get. I like it like it is now with rain and sunnier days keep the high pressuse above the uk. That's what the weather I would for a few years. If we contuine to get the High presuse over the Uk we will all say that it is over. Forget the report in the daily express that cold weather is coming back it's just a tabloid paper they can get things wrong. Every weather forcaster can get things wrong.

From the Daily Express

WINTER is poised to make a dramatic return with plunging temperatures tightening their grip on Britain and northern Europe, leading forecasters said last night.

The US firm that predicted the big freeze of 2009-2010 as well as the recent pre-Christmas arctic conditions is now warning that we are in for another bitterly cold spell.

Weather Services International says that while most of Britain will be mild for much of February, winter will make a chilly comeback in March and last through into April.

The key factor is a change in what is known as the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), the atmospheric pressure phenomenon which blocked milder weather from reaching the UK before Christmas.

This left Britain prey to a stream of cold from the Arctic, before the NAO changed bringing us higher temperatures just before Christmas.

Last October WSI experts forecast that we faced a colder than normal winter, with two cold spells – at the beginning and end of the season.

At the time it said the figures used in its predictions were “at or near record levelsâ€.

December turned out to be the coldest on record with temperatures sinking as low as -21.1C in the Highlands and much of the country brought to a standstill for days by heavy snowfalls.

As the coldest weather for six years hit New York yesterday, the US experts said the Arctic airflow will be turned on again. WSI chief meteorologist Dr Todd Crawford said: “We think that this more atmospherically relaxed pattern will persist well into February, confining any below-normal temperatures to northern regions.

“At some point later in February or early March, we do expect a return to more strongly negative NAO conditions.

“At that point, we expect a return to more severe and widespread below-normal temperatures across much of Europe, lasting well into spring.â€

He warned: “The biggest uncertainty for the February forecast is that the strong negative NAO pattern will return more quickly than we currently expect.

“We are monitoring these developments daily going forward, and will be sending out alerts if we see any signs of the colder negative NAO pattern re-emerging.â€

The Met Office no longer issues public long-range forecasts after a series of errors that included predicting a “barbecue summer†that turned out to be a damp squib.

However it says that it warned the Cabinet Office in October of a very cold winter, particularly in the first few weeks. Its monthly prediction up to late February is for cold dry weather in the South and milder wetter weather in the North-west.

It says temperatures today may reach up to 8C (46F) but it will become colder later this week and over the weekend as high pressure settles over the UK.

That will leave most areas confined to a daytime maximum of around 3C (38F) falling to -2C at night, with fog, frost and a chance of snow flurries in the South.

WSI, which provides forecasts for many top US corporations, bases its forecasts on meteorological readings from around the world plus a comparison with similar weather patterns in the past.

The forecast of a return of winter will raise fears of the travel chaos seen in late November and through much of December when rail, road and air were badly disrupted.

Heathrow was virtually closed for five days, ruining the Christmas travel plans of tens of thousands of passengers. The disruption was so bad that the Commons Transport Select Committee is to hold an inquiry which will include scrutiny of weather forecasts and whether they were acted on.

Read more: http://www.express.c...s#ixzz1C4fiGMLh

Do you think this is right.

Edited by sunnyweather

Posted

From the daily express...says it all really.

Tbh i dont want Winter come March as snowfalls barely last as the sun really picks up strength. March especially Mid/Late March Onwards is the time for the first 16c and clear blue skies or time for the first few thundery showers. :D

Posted

Absolute stinker of a day here....heavy drizzle & moderate rain until dusk....Mark, you were bang on with your forecast!

Posted

I know winter isnt over yet but if it wasnt for December then this winter would be a real rubbish one but thankfully December was so amazing it will still be the best winter for me.

I cant describe enough how i hate these set ups. At least if the Atlantic was raging we may get colder brief NWly winds etc. This is depressing, boring and horrible anyone who likes it is a bit...well i leave you to decide the end of that sentence.

If we get similar weather in Spring and Summer like now then i give up. Boring is an understatement.