Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hm, can't remember that one... might you be referring to the morning of April 15th, 2009? Was an early 'plume' event; it had early morning thunderstorms; and they drifted up from the south... lol.

Not too sure on the CAPE values during that event, though. Thunderstorms in that event were elevated in nature given the rather cool boundary-layer at the time, so instability occured aloft rather than rooted at the surface, but I'm sure the amount of CAPE would've been fairly high given the amount of strikes associated with the the two storms (I think it was two) that affected the West Mids that morning.

Was also a severe storm risk day for a large part of the country that day, though cloud cover left over from the morning storms prevented any convection for the remainder of the day across the Midlands. Not so for the south-east, as further thunderstorms (on top of what they had from the previous evening) affected the region that evening.

Anyway... ah yes, 'Cold Spell Discussion'. Err... feels chilly outside this evening...

Ahh, correct!...you see?...that's what happens when you hit 40, like me, you start losing your marbles.....dates become irrelevent, time immaterial, can't wait for Y2K!.....:lol:

btw , was referring to MLCAPE, was plenty of it that night

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

In metcks 300 day forecast for may the 2nd we have some sleet forcast. So it looks like we are haveing a snowstrom in may.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the Metcheck CFS 300 day charts!....If it were accurate, peeps on here would have to have a serious think on their entire philosophy...Forget Christianity, Catholism et al, we would have the supreme of all religions, Metcheckism! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

In metcks 300 day forecast for may the 2nd we have some sleet forcast. So it looks like we are haveing a snowstrom in may.

How on earth can a specific day so far out be trusted and why so much reliance on Metcheck which only derives from the GFS model anyway or CFS models for the 300 day forecast.

Im not having a go but we cant get a few days ahead right so saying sleet on the 2nd May is just wrong!

Take a browse of some of the better forecasts here on Netweather!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Thought I'd come out of my shell again for a bit, as it's something actually approaching cold now. Well, just below freezing. It's so nice to go for a walk on a frosty, moonlit evening after all the mud and murk we've endured. Not quite as dramatic as last month, but that would be asking a lot!

Posted

It looks like a mild winter for feb so no chance of snow for next month. Only saying becuase of my monthy pridetsions of the weather.

How on earth can a specific day so far out be trusted and why so much reliance on Metcheck which only derives from the GFS model anyway or CFS models for the 300 day forecast.

Im not having a go but we cant get a few days ahead right so saying sleet on the 2nd May is just wrong!

Take a browse of some of the better forecasts here on Netweather!

Just wait and see same today as yesterdays post. On metchecks 300 day cfs. I have.

Edited by abbaman

Posted

It looks like a mild winter for feb so no chance of snow for next month. Only saying becuase of my monthy pridetsions of the weather.

I so hope your right my friend. Especially as Im still going to have to travel to Solihull, as I didnt get the job in Redditch I had 2 interviews for (and they couldnt be arrsed to tell me until I emailed them twice). :wallbash:

Posted

Update from my weather station as of 21:53 outside temp 2.6c inside 16.1c windchill 2.6 . This is from the Allestree derby weather Station. So this our local weather for Allestree derby. Re updated.

Edited by abbaman

Posted

Pretty nippy out there today, and certainly cooling off further now...Although, interestingly, it's almost as cold in my house as outside as now I've been without heating and hot water for the past 72 hours! C'Mon 'Eagaheat PLC, get my heating sorted out, you bunch of cowboys! :aggressive:

It's so nice to go for a walk on a frosty, moonlit evening after all the mud and murk we've endured

I completely agree last night the full moon was just incredibly bright with the moon light lighting your way, absolutely gorgeous, strange bunch the mildies wanting overcast nights so you can't see the stars, moon or anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hate this sort of cold. Its a cold that has no purpose as it doesnt deliver snow etc. :lol:

However the nice sunny weather, moonlit nights etc are nice.

Model thread suggests doubt for February snow but too early to say this yet.

However you look it, the most uninspiring, boring charts in a long time.

Yawn...

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Hate this sort of cold. Its a cold that has no purpose as it doesnt deliver snow etc. :lol:

However the nice sunny weather, moonlit nights etc are nice.

Model thread suggests doubt for February snow but too early to say this yet.

However you look it, the most uninspiring, boring charts in a long time.

Yawn...

Yes but with the raw jet stream cfs forcasts we have a lot mildish weather with the jet stream near or over the uk. I hope that stays that way. As I do not like snow as it stops our bues where I live going round the Woodlands top loop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

fearing Sunday will be very wet, suppose nothing new there then, but should be dry before and after sunday, -2.4C min today, mostly sunny 7.0C max

Posted

And you said yesterday evening that you'd be all for the current setup if it was April... lol. That would be even worse! That is, if you're a convective storm enthusiast. High pressure/ridge dominance was one of the main reasons last summer was largely quiet storm-wise across many parts of the UK.

Clear, cold and frosty nights are nice now and then, but when you're a storm enthusiast or someone who loves exciting weather in general, times like these can be rather testing lol.

Dont remember that but as im sure you know im all for convective weather! I do like long hot sunny days but sunny cold days dont do it for me.

fearing Sunday will be very wet, suppose nothing new there then, but should be dry before and after sunday, -2.4C min today, mostly sunny 7.0C max

Where on Earth are you seeing that??? With High pressure very close by it wont rain at all apart from any drizzle from thicker cloud.

Posted

Ahhh, I'm waiting for the spring/summer to come back now! Nice tan haha! Does anyone know when the UV levels in the UK become above 0 again? ahha!

Although I'd like to see one last snowy spell.

Posted

Update from my weather station as of 10:30 outside temp 28.7c inside 29.4 c windchill 29.4. This is from the Allestree derby weather Station. So this our local weather for Allestree derby. So thats not bad weather pretty good.

Edited by abbaman

Posted

My weather station is showing Frezzing or snow now so cold weather is on the way. But we did have a normal moon last night with no halo round it. But we have a clear sky this morning and clear sky last night. But now it is showing cloudburst.

Edited by abbaman

Posted

Cold outside, -1.4C with freezing fog.....It's that horrible kind of damp feeling cold that makes your bones ache!

Posted

Update from my weather station as of 10:30 outside temp 28.7c inside 29.0 c windchill 29.0. This is from the Allestree derby weather Station. So this our local weather for Allestree derby. So thats not bad weather pretty good.

Edited by abbaman

Posted

Update from my weather station as of 10:30 outside temp 28.7c inside 29.0 c windchill 29.0. This is from the Allestree derby weather Station. So this our local weather for Allestree derby. So thats not bad weather pretty good.

Wow, I'm impressed!....28.7C?....what a scorcher in Allestree.....or perhaps your weather station has issues?...:whistling:

Nothing horrible about today at all, pleasant sunshine with lovely crisp air and temps still very cold.

No sunshine yet here, I'm afraid, just freezing fog starting to lift up into low cloud....bone numbing :cold:

Posted

Only reached 0.5c here today with thick fog, all the frost has melted though.

Weird- we had brilliant sunshine until 14.30, when the fog suddenly descended- yet the frost didn't melt in the shade.

Front and back lawns are still frosted over now, and visibility is down to about 150-200m.

Posted

Ice day here today. Max temp of -0.5C and brilliant crisp sunshine all day. Frost still evident in the shade and the temp is falling sharply again under clear skies, currently -1.5C.

Posted

BBC showing light snow here in Redditch for tomorrow .... is that a possibility ?

I hope the roads arent as bad tomorrow morning as they were today . And how many water leaks are there about that havent been fixed - which didnt help

Posted

Quite a "sharp" cold that hits you as soon as you step outside. Fog for most of the day with little sun. Im bored weatherwise!