Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Are the models finally agreeing on some "weather" soon!!! :smiliz34:

It may be mild but at least Atlantic weather may give the chance of some brief NW'ly air at times. Please help to get rid of this boring, dry, dull, cloudy, drizzly, cold for no reason high! :lol:

disagree. much rather have dry nothingness weather like this, february looks like starting horrid, no one should like rain! long live the nothingness!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

disagree. much rather have dry nothingness weather like this, february looks like starting horrid, no one should like rain! long live the nothingness!

I myself are usually all for dry weather but i think a fair few will agree that January has been extremely boring and never delivered anything exciting. An hour or 2 of snow on the 7th January does not satisfy! :lol:

Even with Atlantic weather we shall hopefully enjoy some sunshine in between the rain rather than endless cloud.

Posted

I myself are usually all for dry weather but i think a fair few will agree that January has been extremely boring and never delivered anything exciting. An hour or 2 of snow on the 7th January does not satisfy! :lol:

Even with Atlantic weather we shall hopefully enjoy some sunshine in between the rain rather than endless cloud.

think we might see sun tomorrow, never expected any snow really after 7th Jan, winter generally lessens from mid January, similar with summer especially in recent years, the best of the summer is usually gone after Wimbledon, mid may to around 8 July best time for summer, late nov to around 14th Jan, best time for winter

Posted

Well i did get an A in GCSE English Language and English Literature. :lol:

SWOT!

Some of us only got a B and a C respectively in them- and then passed A-level geography thanks to learning about SALRs and DALRs which they have since forgot :lol:

Really raw, cold day here- yet not freezing; just looked outside and still no frost. Haven't seen any precip here today; bring on February!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

SWOT!

Some of us only got a B and a C respectively in them- and then passed A-level geography thanks to learning about SALRs and DALRs which they have since forgot :lol:

Really raw, cold day here- yet not freezing; just looked outside and still no frost. Haven't seen any precip here today; bring on February!

Im doing A level Geography now. Currently studying the Demographic transition model. :p :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

SWOT!

Ahhh Adiabatic lapse rates! Those were the days. I did Geography way back when too, got a A but not in the UK, I got mine Down Under. I would have loved to be a Meteorologist but my physics ineptitude put paid to that!

This morning darn nippy again, -2.1oC at the moment, but the wind has died down a little. And there's a fair patch of blue sky to the north and west of here. I don't mind cold, dry and bright winter days. It's the flat grey skies that depress me. This January has had a few too many dull days for my liking. I wouldn't mind a good winter storm next month! We haven't really had that much rain here for a long time, only that heavy snow back in December.

Posted

Ahhh Adiabatic lapse rates! Those were the days. I did Geography way back when too, got a A but not in the UK, I got mine Down Under. I would have loved to be a Meteorologist but my physics ineptitude put paid to that!

This morning darn nippy again, -2.1oC at the moment, but the wind has died down a little. And there's a fair patch of blue sky to the north and west of here. I don't mind cold, dry and bright winter days. It's the flat grey skies that depress me. This January has had a few too many dull days for my liking. I wouldn't mind a good winter storm next month! We haven't really had that much rain here for a long time, only that heavy snow back in December.

Cleared up nicely now, been sunny since 10am or so. Hopefully a decent frost tonight. I can even remember being taught to draw those symbols (the ones with the 3 sticks for wind and things) in A-level Geography, in the mid-1990s!

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/2004/avn/Rtavn00220040208.png

Right now id just love something exciting like the forgotten green lightning thunderstorm event of February 2004, i remember the viciousness of the gales that came along with it and how in a matter of minutes torrential hail turned into a whiteout with temperatures dropping from 5c to 1c in 10 minutes.

Not sure if many others on here rememeber it but certainly something like that would be appreciated after this drearfest of a month.

Posted

Febuary 8th 2004 don`t remember that just a strong NW wind and a light snow flurry,today is much better

colder by 4c east wind with this afternoon wall to wall sun,got down to -4c already.

Cloudy now at -2.4c

Posted

At least -4.0C overnight here, despite passing cloud. A very penetrating frost too with little visible frost, but the ground is rock solid.

Currently cloudy and 0.4C Biting wind too. Don't know why everyone is getting depressed with the lack of cold, its very cold currently!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Agreed Albion Snowman........

Played a round of golf this morning and the frost only gave way after midday. It felt colder than playing in -4c before Xmas.;

It is still bitterly cold this afternmoon with a stronger easterly breeze

Overall the temp averaged -1.4C today as the temp here is 0.2C and falling rapidly.

Posted

If only it was April.... would be lovin' this setup, huh? :D

April can be deceiving,it can be warm,but it can pull out big surprises too,snow lay for a week here and frozen in the daytime max temps only around 1c,can`t beat an east flow even then or and it was the only major drifting of that winter.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1989/Rrea00119890405.gif

And thats after the 2nd mildest winter on record or there abouts.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

April can be deceiving,it can be warm,but it can pull out big surprises too,snow lay for a week here and frozen in the daytime max temps only around 1c,can`t beat an east flow even then or and it was the only major drifting of that winter.

http://www.wetterzen...00119890405.gif

And thats after the 2nd mildest winter on record or there abouts.

Indeed, april 2008 was a good example, as the first week in April provided 4-5 inches of laying snow in the west midlands, and a very trendy looking snowman in my back garden, yet less than 3 weeks later, we had daytime temperatures in the low 70's !

Posted

Winter moving into Spring can be a time of much more extremes than Summer into Autumn i find. April really could be 3c one day and then the next year 23c on that same day! Usually a more middle ground occurs of course.

Posted

whole day without a post! still cold -3.7C currently, -4.3C min on 29th. february though a different story, the month where real spring weather can arrive, high sun, longer days, agree with Ireland more as 1st Feb is the 1st day of spring there, in my opinion february is too light and warm to be winter

Posted

whole day without a post! still cold -3.7C currently, -4.3C min on 29th. february though a different story, the month where real spring weather can arrive, high sun, longer days, agree with Ireland more as 1st Feb is the 1st day of spring there, in my opinion february is too light and warm to be winter

Many of this country's great snowstorms in history have happened in February. There have been many years when after a poor December and January, February has come to the rescue. Even in February last year there were some short but good bouts of winter weather...

...and don't forget 1991...or 2009.

The weather has never stuck to the official start of any season in any country. It certainly ignored Autumn at the end of November anyway!

Posted

+1c forecast for the Midlands for this morning but -5.2c on my thermometer now and I see -6 to -9c in the Midlanda at present.

January ends with belated, unexpected little whimper...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

+1c forecast for the Midlands for this morning but -5.2c on my thermometer now and I see -6 to -9c in the Midlanda at present.

January ends with belated, unexpected little whimper...

-4.8oC in West Malvern this morning, frost everywhere. A real nip from Jack Frost to see us out of this month. Looks like it's going to be a clear start to the day too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Here the frost is hard at -6.5C. Clear skies. Could bring the CET down to 3.8C before adjustments for January.

Well every little helps!!! (but only a bit when you guessed at 0.9C)

Posted

Here the frost is hard at -6.5C. Clear skies. Could bring the CET down to 3.8C before adjustments for January.

Well every little helps!!! (but only a bit when you guessed at 0.9C)

-7.0 was the min this morning. north glos newent. quite a surprise.

Posted

Got down to -6.7c around these parts overnight, was lovely and frosty this morning and had good spells of sunshine all day, high of 2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Managed -7.2 °C min last night. In normal winters that would be very noteworthy indeed (2008/09 absolute min -7.4 °C; 2009/10 absolute min -7.0 °C) but now it almost felt like "what it should be"! Max today 2.5 °C, and more sunshine than I was expecting, so it was a really quite decent day all round. :)

Edited by Arctic Hare