Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England & Channel Islands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 16

dogs32

Posted

Crept in from CS England forum which is lightly used,36 here in Hants with steady rain with the Winter i have experienced here,truly anything is possible,for me an open the curtains job in the morning,although reports from this forum will give a good guide.

Posted

Yes I hate to say this in front of Mullender but at present it looks like Glos is in the firing line of possible prolonged snow

before some rain or melt

and yes CARDIF

3-6+ HRS MAYBE??? OF HEAVY SNOW

Lol not more heavy snow, i now have no reason to say will it snow in Cardiff, had enough snow to last me years.

Posted

Lol not more heavy snow, i now have no reason to say will it snow in Cardiff, had enough snow to last me years.

lol I know how you feel..lol

yes more is on the way....according to BBC graphics looks like a nice dump.

J dont ask if it will snow in Cardiff until December :w00t: you have no excuse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

It's snowing where you live? Beats here where it's just raining, though the temperature is falling now. Perhaps we need the precipitation to get a bit heavier. Imagine what this would be like if it was all snow falling.

Yes as I left it was snowing and sleeting with pulses of both mixed in the heavy ppn but that was on highest of ground at home I'm at work now in whitchurch and just some steady cold rain here.

I don't mind glouc getting hammered as long as you share it with somerset but it looks like glouc could get greedy again... :nonono: our time will come! :acute: (dec 2012 maybe) :rofl:

Posted

Yes as I left it was snowing and sleeting with pulses of both mixed in the heavy ppn but that was on highest of ground at home I'm at work now in whitchurch and just some steady cold rain here.

I don't mind glouc getting hammered as long as you share it with somerset but it looks like glouc could get greedy again... :nonono: our time will come! :acute: (dec 2012 maybe) :rofl:

Jemma Cooper had a fair dump for Somerset....Surely you seen this..

Posted

Jemma Cooper had a fair dump for Somerset....Surely you seen this..

Yes but bbc graphics have changed again already and show very little for us. I don't rate jemma cooper very highly i'm afraid, bring back ian F :w00t:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

When is the cold front supposed to be coming through? I ask because temps here have dropped from just over 4c at about half ten this morning to 2.7c now - it's not due to heavy rain, barely drizzling here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I'd say people on here are being realistic, they know any snow that settles wont be around for long but who cares, personally I like seeing snow falling and couldn't really care less about whether I get any settling snow or not!

I also agree with what you say. And I don't know about anybody else, but I was getting pretty annoyed with the snow we Had before Christmas, once it turned into 3" thick ice on all the roads and pavements.

Looks GAME OVER for all areas south of Glos according to latest Met Office warnings for South West. All yellow warnings have been removed

It would suite me if it didn't snow tomorrow as we are due to have our rubbish taken away (after 4weeks) don't want to give them another excuse not to collect.

Posted

Looks GAME OVER for all areas south of Glos according to latest Met Office warnings for South West. All yellow warnings have been removed

I think that was always likely to be the case as we got nearer the time, the warnings covered the whole country before. But as we are all probably well aware the Met warnings aren't gospel and we don't know really what will happen until it actually arrives, might end up being all rain for the entire region or might end up with snow falling falling further south, it's going to be wet for sure!

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Anyone got a views on the latest GFS? Got to be the worst I have seen this winter for any sign of cold, its terrible and really depressing. The only sign of cold is the last two frames. Shocking for us coldie fans.

Posted

When is the cold front supposed to be coming through? I ask because temps here have dropped from just over 4c at about half ten this morning to 2.7c now - it's not due to heavy rain, barely drizzling here.

I think that cold air is gradually seeping Southwards with the front over the South slowly edging away.

There has been a lot of heavy rain so far today and some blobs of wet snow when it was at its' heaviest betwen 10.30-12.00, however

the temperature only dropped from 3.3c to 2.9c so not far enough for it to turn more to snow - I suspect that will have happened up

on Salisbury Plain though.

Some of the rain rates on the NW radar are very impressive!

Posted

looks like my worst fears have been confirmed with snow threat reduced to nothing in less than 24 hours before the event. :angry:

Any way lets wait for this evenings out put to see if it revives any hope or just puts the nail in our poor snowless winter. :lazy:

still interesting...

post-8911-0-53689800-1294323720_thumb.jp

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Sky still going for snow pretty much anywhere inland at least to start.

After that, best book a trip to the Alps.

Posted

Sky still going for snow pretty much anywhere inland at least to start.

After that, best book a trip to the Alps.

Yes don't worry all I am looking at skiing trips as we speak so the GFS will soon take a U turn and you will all get a beasterly soon enough. :shok::doh:

Posted

I think that cold air is gradually seeping Southwards with the front over the South slowly edging away.

There has been a lot of heavy rain so far today and some blobs of wet snow when it was at its' heaviest betwen 10.30-12.00, however

the temperature only dropped from 3.3c to 2.9c so not far enough for it to turn more to snow - I suspect that will have happened up

on Salisbury Plain though.

Some of the rain rates on the NW radar are very impressive!

The situation at midday. Unfortunately they don't appear to have done a sounding at Larkhill at 12z.Nottingham is not in the cold air yet but I think it safe to say Lerwick is.

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Glos hanging in there

risk of disruption Warning Valid

South West England:

Gloucestershire

Heavy Snow Fri 7 Jan

An area of snow spreading slowly northwards will give temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in many areas, but as much as 10 cm over higher ground. The snow will not reach the far north of England and southern Scotland until after dark, however to the south of these areas, the snow will gradually turn back to rain by evening.

Issued at: 1443 Thu 6 Jan

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Glos hanging in there

risk of disruption Warning Valid

South West England:

Gloucestershire

Heavy Snow Fri 7 Jan

An area of snow spreading slowly northwards will give temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in many areas, but as much as 10 cm over higher ground. The snow will not reach the far north of England and southern Scotland until after dark, however to the south of these areas, the snow will gradually turn back to rain by evening.

Issued at: 1443 Thu 6 Jan

Lucky for you :cc_confused: I remember a certain "dogs" saying I was in for a dumping earlier... :whistling:

just checked meto site again and they have updated it to a Heavy rain event with some very brief transient snow in early hours so I expect to wake to rain and green fields. :shok:

Posted

Rather underwhelmed by a brief snow event and the impending outbreak of wet weather that's going to follow. I wouldn't be surprised if even Glos misses out on a brief snow event now as it seems to be shifting North with each run and when you're expecting snowfall it always seems to alter.

Posted

Now that it's looking absolutely the wrong side of marginal I expect it'll kick off big time.

20cms for Bristol tonight - enough for a Snow day as they close the Uni in the morning - and then it'll all be gone by midday. Haha :smiliz19:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Rather underwhelmed by a brief snow event and the impending outbreak of wet weather that's going to follow. I wouldn't be surprised if even Glos misses out on a brief snow event now as it seems to be shifting North with each run and when you're expecting snowfall it always seems to alter.

Yep sadly looks like the northward shift of things could take most of the low lying parts of Glos out of the snow threat now, still good for a time with a bit of height. Pity as it would be good for the cold spell to end with a a bit of interest on the plus side though the heating can be turned down / off for a while by looks of the recent model outputs.

Posted

Strange thing is meto updated regional map at 16.45 and it places all areas back under heavy snow running through into the morning again?!

:cc_confused::whistling::pardon:

Oh they change it hourly now I think last hour they thought they would have a laugh. :whistling::cray: rain again on update at 17.45

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Yes don't worry all I am looking at skiing trips as we speak !so the GFS will soon take a U turn and you will all get a beasterly soon enough. :shok::doh:

Good, good......off you go then! :lol:

Actually, I reckon that's it for snow for quite a while now. :( Those models don't show any signs of a return to what we had in December. I forecast damp squibs and let-downs for the next 6 weeks, unless the snow gods take pity on us. We can always hope! :crazy: