Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincs And The Pennines - Cold Spell Discussion 13

Paul

Posted

just started snowing heavy here in barnsley!! wasnt forecast yehawwwwwwwwww

Nice one mate. Looks marginal tO the north and north west of you. Your in a good spot, along with Huddersfield area. It will be a non event elsewhere.

Edited by Lewis

Posted

Nice one mate. Looks marginal tO the north and north west of you. Your in a good spot, along with Huddersfield area. It will be a non event elsewhere.

It's not gonna mount to much but still nice to look at,

what are your thoughts on march lewis?

Spring?? or is winter still here??????

Posted

It's not gonna mount to much but still nice to look at,

what are your thoughts on march lewis?

Spring?? or is winter still here??????

Your guess is as good as mine, a mixed bag really as we head into march. Atlantic systems with PM air wrapped around looks to be in order, any indications of a much more sustained period of cold with snow potential looks to be way out in Fi.

I wouldn't be to eager in saying winter is over, it's not but saying spring is not near would be too.

Lewis

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Light sleet and snow off and on here nice too see though. The last throws of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just back from a couple of hours on the moors with the dog. Had been snowing lightly on and off for the whole time, but last 30 mins has been moderate snow, giving everything a nice covering again. Surprised at how complete the snow cover still was from Saturday morning's effort, but the most interesting thing was, right on the highest parts of the moor every surface was covered in a wafer thin spine of ice between 0.5 and 1 cm wide. Hard to describe precisely, and I wish I'd had my camera, but fascinating none the less.

Posted

Stopped again now temp risen to 3.4C!

That's the warmer air associated with the front, hence why I didn't expect much in the way of snow for most areas, colder air ahead warner air with it and associated so you may get a little snow on the leading edge, the further east the better. But the front needs to get a move on!

Edited by Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Snowed here too. Left a slushy diposit on the ground, that's 10 days of snow falling so far in 2011.. here's looking to March.

Posted

precipitation arriving temp dropping back, and dew was 1.1c now 0.4c

the precipitation about to hit my area has intensified and is in a form of a intense slow moving clump.

0c isotherm is around 300-400m, should be wet snow at least I would of imagined.

Lewis

Posted

Front started of as snow mixed with drizzle, and turned to moderate snowfall.

Was in Leeds center (30M ASL) where it was light sleet, and during the moderate bursts turned to snow, mostly wet. But definitely not a "it will be rain for leeds. fact".

Current temp 1.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Front started of as snow mixed with drizzle, and turned to moderate snowfall.

Was in Leeds center (30M ASL) where it was light sleet, and during the moderate bursts turned to snow, mostly wet. But definitely not a "it will be rain for leeds. fact".

Current temp 1.1c.

Cheeserice, please cut out the sniping comments, the Cheeserice & Lewis 'fued' or whatever it is, is quite frankly getting boring as indeed it was last winter :rolleyes:....Let's stick to the weather and get back to peace, love and good happiness stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Bah someone turned the Sheffield shield on early. Must be testing it for summer anyway it did a great job. Put s89en in the extra radar and you'll see what I mean.

Posted

Just the usual rain here, no sign of anything wintry. The dewpoint bottomed out around 10am at 0.3C and has been above 1C since half 11. By the time the precipitation arrived it was closer to 2C.

Currently 3.7C with a dewpoint of 2.2C and light rain.

Posted

Just the usual rain here, no sign of anything wintry. The dewpoint bottomed out around 10am at 0.3C and has been above 1C since half 11. By the time the precipitation arrived it was closer to 2C.

Currently 3.7C with a dewpoint of 2.2C and light rain.

Hi Reef,

Very start I had some sleet mixed in with the rain, but that's as good as it got.

Bottomed out the dew point at -0.9c at 10am, and it's now 1.5c dew point, 3.1c temp.

lewis

Posted

Bah someone turned the Sheffield shield on early. Must be testing it for summer anyway it did a great job. Put s89en in the extra radar and you'll see what I mean.

Had plenty of light snow in Ecclesall this morning. non stop till midday then half an hour of heavier stuff which left a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Rain here in east Leeds, not sure about back home. 2.1C here.dry.gif

Rain here in east Leeds, not sure about back home. 2.1C here.dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Spent the afternoon in Yorkshire Wolds snow chasing, disappointing start with the prec not getting very far east, then a huge shock as i was about to call it a day the snow starting to fall and stick, then it kept getting heavier and was moderate for a good half an hour with huge 50p flakes, left a covering of 3cm within half an hour with all roads covered and quite hazardous driving conditions. Was still snowing as i came back down garrowby hill so theres probably more now. Anyone after a proper snowfix go to the top of Garrowby Hill where the wolds are at there highest (247m asl), you shall be greeted with a winter wonderland :D