Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincs And The Pennines - Cold Spell Discussion 13

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just heard that my neighbours sister has decided to drive across from Cheshire via the snake pass. The road isn't closed but she's going to have her driver skills tested.

Posted

Pretty muched stopped now

4hrs of snow though not expected

actually a wintry mix with more rain in it

roads and paths slushy

cars and grass white

Posted

Stopped here 30 minutes ago with only light snow falling. In the last 15 minutes the intensity has picked up. Currently light-moderate snow and -1.c.

Edit: BIG flakes, moderate snow!

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Bloody Snow!!!

Still paths now cleared and it's melting back. It's the kind of 'snow' we used to wait all winter for!!! (touch and go ,hit and miss,etc,etc,)

Something right about snowdrops peeping out of a covering of snow though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I was hoping to do some photography today in Edale and around that area. Does anyone know the current snow depth for that area? Thinking of getting the train over in an hour or so, but I may stay in if it's going to be cold. I was a cold lover, but am getting to be a lover of green, warmth and blue sky's recently with convective clouds.

Posted

Just heard that my neighbours sister has decided to drive across from Cheshire via the snake pass. The road isn't closed but she's going to have her driver skills tested.

Im thinking of driving across to Manchester on the A628, Any idea how bad that will be? It says hazardous but I mean in real terms?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Moderate snow, radar shows it will come to an end soon, then the thaw will probably follow.:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I was hoping to do some photography today in Edale and around that area. Does anyone know the current snow depth for that area? Thinking of getting the train over in an hour or so, but I may stay in if it's going to be cold. I was a cold lover, but am getting to be a lover of green, warmth and blue sky's recently with convective clouds.

I would say a couple of inches at most. However, it's going to stay feeling pretty cold all day, and generally dull grey and quite possibly misty, not the greatest for photography I wouldn't have thought

Posted

I would say a couple of inches at most. However, it's going to stay feeling pretty cold all day, and generally dull grey and quite possibly misty, not the greatest for photography I wouldn't have thought

Hi Pal as your up in the Pennines, would you give the A628 a miss today or do you think ti will be ok this Afternoon?

Posted

Okay well measured the snow, 6-8cm on the ground, 9-12cm on the grass.

Overall quite pleased :D

Posted

Hi Pal as your up in the Pennines, would you give the A628 a miss today or do you think ti will be ok this Afternoon?

A628 Derbyshire - The carriageway is just passable and hazardous driving conditions on A628 Woodhead Pass between the Chapel Brow junction in Tintwistle and Flouch roundabout in Langsett, because of snow.

Updated 20 minutes ago

from this link Derbyshire roads-all seem to be quite badly affected as one might expect, best probably the M62

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/derby/

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Its been snowing here since about 2am and has only just stopped. We have ended up with around 10cm as a guess, maybe more over the fields. BBC shows more snow for Monday so who knows??? :drinks:

Posted

Im thinking of driving across to Manchester on the A628, Any idea how bad that will be? It says hazardous but I mean in real terms?

She couldn't have much in the way of trouble as she arrived ten minutes later than expected. Now stopped snowing and a steady thaw continues.

Posted

Okay well measured the snow, 6-8cm on the ground, 9-12cm on the grass.

Overall quite pleased :D

Would love to see pics of that depth with a ruler, Ive had to put up with rain, so come on cheer me up with some snowy pics :D

lewis

Edited by Lewis

Posted

Looks like west and south yorkshire have been in prime position for conducive low level snow in the past few hours. Key reason being the intensity of the precipitation, lighter stuff would not have brought any snow cover to low levels just sleety very wet snow stuggling to settle, but because it has been fairly heavy, this has allowed evaporative cooling to really take hold and meant dewpoints have been very favorable for low level snow down to about 100m and in some spots at lower levels than this. The stalling front has also helped as it has enabled the cold to hold on at the surface for longer.

The BBC last night called this event very well indeed. My ears did prick up when they were suggesting even parts of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire could see some snow, confirming they were expecting some preety heavy stuff quite far south as opposed to further north over the north pennines and into scotland. Indeed the precipitation has been next to nothing over the far north of england and scotland, all the heavy stuff has fallen south over the central and south pennines and southern parts of the lake district - here included.

You people in places like Bradford, Leeds and Barnsley have been very lucky indeed, especially as the snow arrived in daylight hours so you could enjoy seeing the snow falling from the skies - I bet it has felt like a proper winters day so far. Here although we have the snowcover it all fall well before most of us woke up, and by 8am it was raining rather than snowing - there is nothing better than seeing those first snowflakes and then watching them get bigger and multiplying and then watching them slowly cover the ground with temps dropping down to freezing.

I think those members in the Leeds area will be slightly amending there summaries so far this month..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

Looks like west and south yorkshire have been in prime position for conducive low level snow in the past few hours. Key reason being the intensity of the precipitation, lighter stuff would not have brought any snow cover to low levels just sleety very wet snow stuggling to settle, but because it has been fairly heavy, this has allowed evaporative cooling to really take hold and meant dewpoints have been very favorable for low level snow down to about 100m and in some spots at lower levels than this. The stalling front has also helped as it has enabled the cold to hold on at the surface for longer.

The BBC last night called this event very well indeed. My ears did prick up when they were suggesting even parts of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire could see some snow, confirming they were expecting some preety heavy stuff quite far south as opposed to further north over the north pennines and into scotland. Indeed the precipitation has been next to nothing over the far north of england and scotland, all the heavy stuff has fallen south over the central and south pennines and southern parts of the lake district - here included.

You people in places like Bradford, Leeds and Barnsley have been very lucky indeed, especially as the snow arrived in daylight hours so you could enjoy seeing the snow falling from the skies - I bet it has felt like a proper winters day so far. Here although we have the snowcover it all fall well before most of us woke up, and by 8am it was raining rather than snowing - there is nothing better than seeing those first snowflakes and then watching them get bigger and multiplying and then watching them slowly cover the ground with temps dropping down to freezing.

I think those members in the Leeds area will be slightly amending there summaries so far this month..

It has, its been a wonderful surprise for us in Huddersfield, Reading the model thread yesterday with all of the doom and gloom people saying things like wet snow no settling etc. They were wrong and the beeb were spot on. I was reading things like the oc istherm was against the snow but it just shows a little bit of magic and believe and the snow will come lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

• ^ It's been a wonderful day, for sure. Worried February would turn out snowless when it is usually the snowiest month of the year. These snow depths (5-10 cm) were only forecast for places above 300 meters and have reached 11 cm in places, but being at 198 meters above sea level, I am not overly surprised. There's 4cm of snow in Whitkirk, east Leeds, 90 meters above sea level, pretty impressive and a decent cover in the centre of Leeds, which sits in a valley.B)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Amazing theres snow up there while here its been 13c.

Posted

Would love to see pics of that depth with a ruler, Ive had to put up with rain, so come on cheer me up with some snowy pics :D

lewis

Depth on the ground 7CM , max temp 1.2c. Definitely not as high as the 6/7c some were suggesting!

post-8968-0-97721600-1298134317_thumb.pn

post-8968-0-48931200-1298134338_thumb.pnpost-8968-0-72651200-1298134352_thumb.pnpost-8968-0-85741700-1298134364_thumb.pn

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Good call by the met office though. Makes up for the earlier disaster they had this winter. Now eyes for Monday when I don't want any snow due to a skip being delivered.

Posted

Great day thanx mate here in Leeds as a fellow Cumbrian ( Barrow / Ulverston).

Got 9cm here in Pudsey still lying on grass and tbh no real thaw in cul-de-sac at all.

Temp 1.4c. Wind variable if any.

Posted

Temperatures now falling off again as the winds come from the east. Fallen 0.5c in the last hour now 2c.

Posted

The 06z GFS upgrades the snow potential for tomorrow morning for yorkshire,

This time it shows the band meeting the colder air to the east over East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Looking forward to the NMM when it updates to the 06z.

lewis