Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincs And The Pennines - Cold Spell Discussion 13

Paul

Posted

Temperature are FINALLY sub-zero in Leeds center, so anywhere in Leeds should see lying snow from now on :D

Been below freezing here for a while now

Current temp -1.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Heavy snow falling here and has been for the last couple of hours. 2-3cms lying from the looks of it so far.

Edited by Snowday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Brother in east Leeds telling me that the snow is melting there a bit, can only imagine the same will happen here shortly.:unsure:

Posted

Brother in east Leeds telling me that the snow is melting there a bit, can only imagine the same will happen here shortly.:unsure:

Its sliding of the cars here but Its to be expected, its really wet snow. And what falls of is readily replaced.

We look to be around 5cm and with that amount on slanted surfaces it'll fall of.

If you ever been in one of those winter US storms we here about the same happens there.

Anyway temp holding steady at -1.1c. Snow went light earlier, now back to moderate. Band looks to building on the back-edge, how long the snow lasts is unknown. I'm certain I'tll be snow throughout but the band is either stalling or not.

Sorry for been on overload posting this morning. Theres nothing to do this early in the morning! In hindsight I wish I hadn't of gotten up so early to see the snow.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I would say enjoy this whilst it lasts because looking at the overnight model output there's not going to be any more after this for the foreseeable future.

Posted

I would say enjoy this whilst it lasts because looking at the overnight model output there's not going to be any more after this for the foreseeable future.

Well the needle in the hay-stack has been found!

Its the BBC five dayer of course!!

http://news.bbc.co.u.../2535?area=LS16

Max 1.c today, 3,c tomorrow, heavy snow all day Monday!

Edit: Some of the heaviest snowfall of this winter, with the odd breeze blown in from the east making it quite tricky!

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

About 1.5cm here and now coming down fairly heavy again. Radar still thinks it's raining LOL.

Well, as expected, had to use the 4WD to get out of the village at 5.45 am this morning, whilst it was only 3-4 cms that's enough to make it too risky on the hills in the Focus. Snow was settled on all surfaces at least 2-3 cms, probably more. Cars, (what few that were about), absolutely crawling on all the main roads until got onto the M62, which was white on outside twp lanes down to jct 25. Snowing all the way to East Leeds, but not laying. Has been snowing ever since and now started to lay even here. Wonder what the depth is back at home by now.

Yeh lot of bad drivers out panicking. The only problems I've had this morning are. Glasses steaming up, Windscreen steaming up other drivers and the pot holes are buried and since some of these are rather deep it makes for a shuddering journey.

Thought your ford focus would have dealt with 3cm to 4cm though.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Thought your ford focus would have dealt with 3cm to 4cm though.

It might have, but with none of the roads round the village gritted, and a steep downhill to negotiate why take the risk ? And of course not knowing how long it would last or how heavy it was going to be, there's always the possibility of not being able to get back ! (a lesson I learned a couple of times in the first few years after we moved up onto 'the Hill').

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Anyone know how long this is supposed to last?

I love snow but i support Cas Tigers and we are playing Huddersfield Giants at 6pm tonight at Cas, and i dont want the game to be called off,

The Rain Today premium radar shows it turning to sleet in the next hour or so, but the snow is still coming down fast and im not sure how reliable the radar is at the moment, it shows precipitation all the way up to at least 12:30 but as rain, not sure though, depends on the temperatures i guess.

Any ideas?

Snow is good, but not in the rugby season :nonono:

Posted

Anyone know how long this is supposed to last?

I love snow but i support Cas Tigers and we are playing Huddersfield Giants at 6pm tonight at Cas, and i dont want the game to be called off,

The Rain Today premium radar shows it turning to sleet in the next hour or so, but the snow is still coming down fast and im not sure how reliable the radar is at the moment, it shows precipitation all the way up to at least 12:30 but as rain, not sure though, depends on the temperatures i guess.

Any ideas?

Snow is good, but not in the rugby season :nonono:

Hopefully should start thawing, and melting quickly, BBC reckon temps will reach 5-7c this afternoon after the front clears.

I went to the cas game (friendly the other week) cracking game, and was so close, i don't need to remind you we won :p

P.S are you getting a new stadium? Because I like cas's ground, it's the only classic type of stadium left, it reminds me of the boulevard.

good luck today mate

Posted

Hopefully should start thawing, and melting quickly, BBC reckon temps will reach 5-7c this afternoon after the front clears.

I went to the cas game (friendly the other week) cracking game, and was so close, i don't need to remind you we won :p

P.S are you getting a new stadium? Because I like cas's ground, it's the only classic type of stadium left, it reminds me of the boulevard.

good luck today mate

Thanks Lewis, hope so

Yep i was at the Cas-Hull game, i wasnt too dissapointed we lost by 2 points but i did think we were the better team, we need to find a goalkicker quickly, thats what let us down, i like it when we play hull though, you bring a very vocal crowd along.

I'm about 90% sure we will get the ground, planning permission should be granted in April and hopefully we should start building by July before licences are handed out, i will miss the old ground, but we need to move on, if you go on Castigers website you can watch a fly through of the new stadium, looks good

I hope we do well tonight but Huddersfield are a very good team, but we will see

Posted

Looks like the snow is laying in the center of of Leeds. Woop!

post-8968-0-30187400-1298110344_thumb.jp

Posted

good luck today mate

1. it wont reach 5-7c here in leeds! if you watched the same forecast on bbc that was for manc, yorkshire northwards will struggle with the temps. to me the forecast got this all wrong! were 145-150 metres jst outside leeds downtown and have had snow since 2am (no wintry mix and slushy deposits) deep snow and this was forecast 300/400m plus!

2. the thaw will be slow the higher you are and 3. i am a rhinos fan and yes it should snow now-this is winter. rugby should start later or play in the cold weather. there big guys remember.

Posted

Plain old cold rain as expected here. The dewpoint never went below freezing so it always looked unlikely.

Currently 3.7C and 2.5C dewpoint. 1.2mm of rain so far.

Posted

3. i am a rhinos fan and yes it should snow now-this is winter. rugby should start later or play in the cold weather. there big guys remember.

I agree the season should start later, not exactly summer rugby is it? :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Well I set off from York in icy rain about 4am back to Garforth (East Leeds) where it was snowing with a dusting at 5ish... We're less than 100m asl here so was pleasantly suprised to wake up from my 3 hour nap to find this...

Cheers

BB

Edited by bazookabob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Snowing in York but too wet to settle, just been up Garrowby Hill (250m asl)and theres a few cm's of snow and coming down thick n fast. Roads havent been gritted so driving conditions a bit tricky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still snowing here but no real increase of depth due to lighter spells of snow which allows the melting to catch up. Temp now 0.6C dew point -0.1C. Roads okay and the nervous drivers seem to have gone back to bed or have gone into work.