Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincs And The Pennines - Cold Spell Discussion 13

Paul

Posted

Very surprised to see a light dusting of snow as I travelled between Kendal and Garsdale in the west pennines this morning. No snow in Windermere or Kendal, but just before Sedbergh there was a very light covering. I think I just arrived after the shower had fallen as the main A684 had some snow cover.

I went walking near Garsdale and it was a raw wintry scene with a cutting wind and some powder snow above about 500m. I don't know why the shower developed, the front had long passed and there was not much instablity... Here we were too far west (yet again.. to benefit), though dewpoints and temps would have been conducive to snow.

There is quite a contrast between the west Pennines and Lakeland Fells at present, the former having benefitted from the snow on Thursday evening and into Friday, whereas the fells only have patchy cover about about 800m with any appreciable cover hidden on northern and north eastern aspects. Indeed they have been devoid of any proper cover since the 9th Jan. I fully expect them to be covered again this Thursday - but it will be a temporary affair..

Posted

a low -4.5c last night! lets hope we get something this week and for the second half of february!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Aye, exactly the same temp. here first thing Brian.

Nice and sunny now.

BL. :)

Posted

Aye, exactly the same temp. here first thing Brian.

Nice and sunny now.

BL. :)

Hi BL, Hope you're well :)

Yeah, it looks like today's very low temps will be the last we see for a little while once the High pressure begins to sink this week.

I like these frosty days, but I love a bit of active weather too, so I'm looking forward to the change in the weather pattern. I'm at Scarborough on Wednesday which could be quite interesting as it's going to be very windy.

Brian :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm just relieved that we didn't have a repeat of last years freeze through Jan/Feb! My back just isn't up to it any more!

I'm not holding my breathe for any late Feb repeat, I'm thinking either more Zonality of a tranquil, sunny end to the month?

It will be nice to see if March manages to 'come in' like a Lion though!

Posted

It would be nicer to have some very cold settled weather, the winds have been pretty bad around these parts and the rain seems to be pretty relentless...more coming tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Yeah, it's pretty wild here in Leeds. Anyone got any wind data on maximum gusts so far?

Posted

Yeah, it's pretty wild here in Leeds. Anyone got any wind data on maximum gusts so far?

Isnt it just! Really going for it at the back of our house where its exposed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Highest gust here 71 mph at 2029, average speed between 41 and 45 mph. Certainly the windiest it's been for a couple of years.

Posted

Very mild here:

Leconfield 12.6C at midnight and Humberside Airport showing 14C

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

http://www.weatheron...x&SORT=2&INT=24

Edited by gobbyash

Posted

Its certainly been very mild today, more so than forecast. The max here was 14.2C just after midday and even now at 00:30 its still 12.8C.

Even in the wind when out and about today it didnt really feel too bad - probably more so after the cold start to the winter we had.

It feels like forever since we last had anything wintry though, 5½ weeks since the last lying snow melted and no snow has fallen for over a month. A shame we havent had at least one snowy blast in January.

Posted

Two gusts of 71 mph overnight, the first at 2029 yesterday and the second at 0012, the highest since Dec' 2008 when 76 mph was recorded.

The wind has eased a bit, it's currently gusting to 59 mph, but it's remarkably mild at 10.3c.

Posted

37.5 mm of rain in the 24hrs ending 0900 today, the wettest day since Sept' 5th 2008 when there was a fall of 55.8mm, but beating Oct 1st last year by only 0.1 mm.

It was also the wettest February day since the 24th in 1977 when I recorded 47.0 mm locally but at a different site.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

River ouse is very high in York today, it iniatially rose yesterday morning but we have had constant rain since and especially around the source of the river, wonder how high it will get?

Posted

A good gale blowing here, max' gust so far is 68 mph a minute before midday.

Posted

Hi

I'm looking to buy some sort of weather station for my mum. She's always interested in what's happening outside.

She is completely Computer Phobic so it would need to be something connected to an LCD display.

I've seen this one on Ebay and it's in my price range. Does it seem like a good one?

Can anyone recommend a better one? I think it would need some sort of anemometer...

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but any advice would be great.

Thanks

ant

Posted

Hi

I'm looking to buy some sort of weather station for my mum. She's always interested in what's happening outside.

She is completely Computer Phobic so it would need to be something connected to an LCD display.

I've seen this one on Ebay and it's in my price range. Does it seem like a good one?

Can anyone recommend a better one? I think it would need some sort of anemometer...

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but any advice would be great.

Thanks

ant

As a starter for someone who's interested in what's going on outside and isn't really going to be into accurate record keeping that's not a bad one.

Basically with automatic stations the more you pay the greater the reliability, the greater the accuracy and the greater the sophistication of the system. If you buy a basic set up like the one you've shown try and get the most out of it by siting it as carefully as possible. Unless you live in a very open and exposed area the anemometer needs to be as high as you can get it, preferably on a mast on the house roof. Unfortunately this also means, if the system comes as one unit, that the temperature sensor and the rain gauge will also be in the same place so the rainfall catch will be significantly lower than if the gauge was on the ground and the temperature readings will also be affected. Minimums will be higher, and maximums lower, than if the sensor was sited at the standard height of 1.2m above the ground. Conversely if you go for the option of more accurate rainfall and temperature readings by siting the sensors closer to ground level then the wind speeds recorded will be much lower and the direction very variable due to sheltering from nearby trees, buildings etc. It's all about compromise.

I'm not going to drown you in a load of technical detail about the niceties of siting a weather station as I'm sure your mum isn't a data anorak ( like me ) but the above is just a bit of basic guidance. Of course if she becomes one as a result of owning the basic station then it opens up a whole new world of spending where you can pay anything up to £10,000 for state of the art kit.

Posted

I'm using a modified lacrosse 2350 at the moment, fantastic station for the money. My only gripe is with the temp sensor, It always records way too high wherever it is sited. I use a seperate temp recorder instead.

I opened up the base unit on this station and changed a few capacitors so the anemometer updates every 0.4 seconds, I'll never miss a max gust ever again! :yahoo: This chronically reduces battery life to 2 months on lithiums though.

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted

Thanks very much Terminal Moraine.

My mum has a reasonably long back garden which looks onto fields so i think I can site the station so that it's not in a wind shadow.

And, as you say, i don't think she'll be collecting and recording figures every day!

thanks for the advice.

ant

Posted

7.81 hours of sunshine made it the sunniest day here since October 25th last year.

Posted

Looks like the High Pressure is putting up quite a fight on this morning's Model output.

However, there appears to be very little instability around, so, although the outlook looks cold, it will be predominantly dry and settled for most.

Edit: Has anyone heard from SUFC? I've not seen him on line for a while

Posted

Edit: Has anyone heard from SUFC? I've not seen him on line for a while

I was wondering the same thing says on his profile he's not been on for a month.feels chilly out side tonight