Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2011/2012

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Sounds like you need sandbags Jane!

Hope not Coast. The Landlord says when the 2007 floods occurred in Gloucestershire it was ok up here. Fingers crossed it's true lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

lazy.gif Another seven months and it'll be storm-season again. lazy.gifrolleyes.gif

Must admit Jane, it's been a poor year for our part of the world, storm wise, apart from a couple of crackers last May, diddly squat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

What d'you think about Monday aj? smile.png

off topic, but nothing really to get excited about at this stage...Looks like a slow moving CF passing through monday according to the FAX charts, as it's slow moving, could be quite a bit of rainfall, but can't see anything stormwise occuring at this stage

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

I agree AJ, a very poor year yet again!! I'm quite suprised nothing has happened here in Autumn.

Autumn is usually a good harbinger of storms.sorry.gif If that makes sense lol.

A possibility Monday?

That'll be the day!! unknw.gif

Posted

Okay, it's just that meto are showing t-storms over here Monday night. But if you say there's a fair bit of rain I'll take that as drizzle... :D

off topic, but nothing really to get excited about at this stage...Looks like a slow moving CF passing through monday according to the FAX charts, as it's slow moving, could be quite a bit of rainfall, but can't see anything stormwise occuring at this stage

Guest Quantumsnow

Another poor year for storms IMBY. Had a nice small cell right overhead in spring, can't remember exactly when but I think it was March/April time.

Since then, not a sausage. Secretly hoped it was a foreteller of things to come but nay. Same last year, 1 (tiny) storm, well I say storm but I mean a CG strike and a rumble.

I remember as a kid looking forward to the summer storms every year. I think I took them for granted, it seems like years since I saw a really epic storm. The last one I have in mind must be going back about 5 or 6 years by my reckoning, probably 2005 or 2006. We had an amazing overhead storm one day, and me and my storm-loving brother were over at our parents watching the action when a CG struck a nearby small pylon, and shortly after we saw another CG strike in the next field followed by the loudest thunderclap of our lives so far. T'was incredible!

Later that year (I think?) we had a very warm eve, and some of the most amazing lightning i'd ever seen. Nothing close by, all in the distance and with a sort of panoramic quality to it, the lightning itself was forked, and had pink and purple colours, and it seemed to happen in a domino-style routine with one strike seemingly starting off others , so that the panorama effect was lit in a mexican wave style.

Anyway, those were the days. This isn't meant to be a moan, more an observation. At least I have these awesome storm memories as a parting gesture I suppose.

Here's to storm season 2012, I will not lose hope just yet closedeyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & sunny in summer, cold & snowy in winter, love a good thunderstorm

Well, I finally got my storm... although I slept right through it! Unbelievable! :doh: According to everyone round here there was torrential rain, thunder and lightning at around 1:30am. The roads were flooded in places this morning, as was part of the school grounds. The stream running past the school was the highest I can remember seeing it even at 3:30 this afternoon. So I guess I'm out of the No Storms Club for this year - and good luck to anyone left here who may yet see something :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well I must say that these past few days have been rather, if not utterly dissapointing considering how much potential was showing up on the charts. The only thing I managed to get here on Thursday and Friday was heavy showers and not even 1 rumble!

I have heard and seen some lightning this year but it was only distant and we havn't had what I call a proper storm where there is at least one flash every minute so I guess because of this it means that I am still stuck in here.

I think I heard someone say on the Model Discussion that there was more potential possible a week from now. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Posted

I think I heard someone say on the Model Discussion that there was more potential possible a week from now. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Long way off, but yes, GFS showing something:

MU_London_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

But don't build your hopes up just yet

Posted

Two chances of a storm I had on Thursday and Friday! but did I get one :wallbash: ? nooo !! :doh:Had some nice photographic CB'S that almost looked like it may have produced a storm well.. the rest you can imagine .All I ended up with was one light rain shower grrrrr. typical :lol: and very sad :cray:

I'm not even going to look forward to any potential next week, Why you say?? obviously because of bad experiences . It looks like I'm going to spend my lifetime in the NSC for good now .

:lazy::bomb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The Bristol/Gloucestershire bubble has been an irritant for too long. :nonono: Nearly every time this year I could draw a circle along the Severn Estuary from Bristol to Gloucester where any rain activity just seems to has the strength sucked out of it, then regain its power as it heads off. Time for this bubble to be well and truly popped. :vava:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well hopefully next week will deliver us all a storm.

I don't like it when I get frustrated, I tend to not know what I am doing half of the time!

Posted

Thats so true Bugganuts,For many years now the Bristol/Glous storm shield has stood strong and prevented absolutely everything from hitting us,Or MN has something against us as she seems to tease us with approaching storms then turn them off while they pass over then start them up again when they've passed so frustrating,I dont want to but starting to consider weather it's worth it anymore the time spent radar and sky watching ends up in huge disappointment every single time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I suppose one problem with radar watching is it can create spoilers for yourself as to what is happening with the weather right now, and where exactly the rain/snow is at present. It's like when you see a shower approaching from the distance outside in hope it'll reach you, only to find when you look at the radar, it's going to miss you 1 mile to the East, I could understand why someone would feel disappointed.

Either the storm shields have been too powerful for some of us this year, or that the thunderstorms have developed faults and constantly break down as soon as they approach our areas. I must say I feel sorry for Jane and others who have been empty of the thundery weather. :sorry:

If 2012 becomes another thunderless year for some of us, I'm going to get out my super glue and glue the Low and High pressure systems together in favourable places so people like Jane, me and others will see thunderstorms... everyday! :)

Posted

I suppose one problem with radar watching is it can create spoilers for yourself as to what is happening with the weather right now, and where exactly the rain/snow is at present. It's like when you see a shower approaching from the distance outside in hope it'll reach you, only to find when you look at the radar, it's going to miss you 1 mile to the East, I could understand why someone would feel disappointed.

Either the storm shields have been too powerful for some of us this year, or that the thunderstorms have developed faults and constantly break down as soon as they approach our areas. I must say I feel sorry for Jane and others who have been empty of the thundery weather. :sorry:

If 2012 becomes another thunderless year for some of us, I'm going to get out my super glue and glue the Low and High pressure systems together in favourable places so people like Jane, me and others will see thunderstorms... everyday! :)

Aww thanks RS... I'm beginning to think there is a massive storm shield in Glos and Bristol. These areas used to do really well for storms, I'm talking many years ago mind you. All the storms seem to prefer it over on the eastern side of the country especially the North east..they even get thundersnow up there tooo :excl: :diablo::cray:

I'm not going to jinx it for next year 2012 yet, so I shall keep quiet for now. Oh well, back to stamp collecting I go lol :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Aww thanks RS... I'm beginning to think there is a massive storm shield in Glos and Bristol. These areas used to do really well for storms, I'm talking many years ago mind you. All the storms seem to prefer it over on the eastern side of the country especially the North east..they even get thundersnow up there tooo :excl: :diablo::cray:

I'm not going to jinx it for next year 2012 yet, so I shall keep quiet for now. Oh well, back to stamp collecting I go lol :winky:

No problem. Yeah, I remember when storms/thunderstorms use to occur more frequently with very dark looking clouds, heavy hail and thunder and lightning. If the problem continues, I'm just going to become a storm shield slayer again (he hee). Afterall, this thunder-free weather can't go on forever. (lol). :diablo:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well, what a rubbish year for Thunderstorms here again ! not even had a autumn storm here. :smiliz23: I suppose it's best to look to 2012 now. Maybe it's thundersnow I'm gonna get lol to make up for all the other lack of storms I haven't had. Will let you all know in winter if I do lol.

Posted

Hoping to get a proper storm next year rather then just a few rumbles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Will thundersnow count as a storm?

Posted

Will thundersnow count as a storm?

I

If it's a proper thunderstorm ! Yes Lauren. :D I expect you have more chance than me. Let's say. about half hours worth, but I guess that's very rare. :lol: