Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2011/2012

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Thanks people! Jane you should move here! Very sunny and aparently in the summer months they happen almost every evening hehe. High cape and negative lifted index is expected for 5+ days from friday onwards which i cant wait for! Glad to see bedfordshire had a storm the other day but trust me to miss it been waiting like 2 years for it to get hit lol! Good luck everyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Thanks people! Jane you should move here! Very sunny and aparently in the summer months they happen almost every evening hehe. High cape and negative lifted index is expected for 5+ days from friday onwards which i cant wait for! Glad to see bedfordshire had a storm the other day but trust me to miss it been waiting like 2 years for it to get hit lol! Good luck everyone

Oh my, it's sounds great there Dave,biggrin.png I really should move there too, but I'm moving soon near the River Severn and I may get a storm there lollaugh.png time will tell, but knowing me I'll still be stuck in here next year too grrrrr.

Posted

Oh my, it's sounds great there Dave,biggrin.png I really should move there too, but I'm moving soon near the River Severn and I may get a storm there lollaugh.png time will tell, but knowing me I'll still be stuck in here next year too grrrrr.

maybe not if you moveing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The River Severn is like a drain on a storm's soul :p Unless its a plume event we hardly get storms here :( (depends which bit though I guess it's a pretty long river.)

I live about 4 miles from the old Severn Crossing that goes to Chepstow, and whenever storms approach us they always die out, especially if its a set up with them moving in from the SW or West over the Bristol Channel/Severn Estuary. If they come up from the South or East though they are usually amazing storms then!

Posted

The River Severn is like a drain on a storm's soul blum.gif Unless its a plume event we hardly get storms here sad.png (depends which bit though I guess it's a pretty long river.)

I live about 4 miles from the old Severn Crossing that goes to Chepstow, and whenever storms approach us they always die out, especially if its a set up with them moving in from the SW or West over the Bristol Channel/Severn Estuary. If they come up from the South or East though they are usually amazing storms then!

I guess I'll be living about 38 miles away from you, so when , if any, storms come your way I expect they'll be on my way too lol.

Damn the Severn grrrrr. I look forward to the rareity of a spanish plume lol. There is talk from the model output thread of a plume event early October when I'm movingbiggrin.png but sadly it's all in FI at the momentsad.png

Posted

I guess I'll be living about 38 miles away from you, so when , if any, storms come your way I expect they'll be on my way too lol.

Damn the Severn grrrrr. I look forward to the rareity of a spanish plume lol. There is talk from the model output thread of a plume event early October when I'm movingbiggrin.png but sadly it's all in FI at the momentsad.png

Ye I've heard about that. The last decent storm I remember here was the huge one in July 2007 maybe? or 2008 im not sure..but that one lasted hours and the light show was intense looking across the Severn Estuary. I think that was from a Spanish Plume. Since that storm i've probably seen 2 maybe 3 short thundery showers? This year being the worst with just a couple of flashes :( Hopefully the forecast in FI becomes reality :p

Posted

Hi Bugganuts,The storm you refer to was in 2007

Was this the one that lasted into the night? All i remember is I was in my mates car driving to a friend's party and we were going through some lanes with open fields surrounding us. We just saw the clouds literally swirling and building above our heads and it went pitch black about 7pm, proper dark like night time everyone was sketching out wondering what was going on haha. Then it was a proper lightning show for the next few hours after that. Was the best storm I have ever seen and I think it covered a big part of Southern England as it moved in.

I'm sure it was in 2008...because I think we had just finished our A levels. Definately no earlier than summer 2007 because my friend was driving so we had to be 17 or older :p Wish I could remember now...

Posted

Maybe it was this one,I dont remember it though,maybe i was out of Bristol

Cheers I think this might of been the one! It sounds about right actually. We had just started study leave for our A level exams in June. So May would seem to match up quite well. I hope this upcoming warmth predicted next week produces something before cooler air gets sent back in sad.png Will just have to wait and see on how things go in the charts etc.

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Was about to say. 19th June 2007 was done by about 8pm but there was 9th May 2008, 29th May 2008, 28th July 2008 and 25th June 2009 fitting your description on timing.

Posted

Pretty solidly in the no-storms club over here in Coventry. I heard a couple weak rumbles of thunder on the 7th and 8th of May when I was still in Canada, and on the 8th and 10th of July here in Coventry. All were from passing rainshowers. Thus, it's the first stormless year that I can remember... unless autumn surprises me.

(I think there may have been more thunder here in Cov in late August, but I was in Skegness that week.)

Edited by Eabie

Posted

Pretty solidly in the no-storms club over here in Coventry. I heard a couple weak rumbles of thunder on the 7th and 8th of May when I was still in Canada, and on the 8th and 10th of July here in Coventry. All were from passing rainshowers. Thus, it's the first stormless year that I can remember... unless autumn surprises me.

(I think there may have been more thunder here in Cov in late August, but I was in Skegness that week.)

Yes, here's hoping for a storm in Autumn lol.

Booked to go to Lyon late May so fingers crossed smile.png

Fingers crossed for you Staffordshire.Have a great time.biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The Channel seas warming up more than normal i would expect during this heatwave, this can only mean something helpful for storm potential, this being as we set into colder conditions the land/sea temperature difference would be greater than normal, maybe not to much added potential but i think it could help? i would think as we can get more thunderstorms up the channel during october-for example, then the warmer sea would build more convection.

just a thought!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

The Channel seas warming up more than normal i would expect during this heatwave, this can only mean something helpful for storm potential, this being as we set into colder conditions the land/sea temperature difference would be greater than normal, maybe not to much added potential but i think it could help? i would think as we can get more thunderstorms up the channel during october-for example, then the warmer sea would build more convection.

Figures not much different from August, just a degree or two down at 17.2 DgC today and you know the last few months have been on a starvation diet anywhere bordering the Channel!

post-6667-0-68222600-1317374108.jpg

http://www.channelco...me_data/charts/

If you're still in the No Storms Club, then I can offer no consolation I'm afraid:

MU_London_avn.png

post-6667-0-68222600-1317374108_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thanks Coast.

just be hoping for some activity on the break down, but it does not look that way, although i think some convection would take place somewhere whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I'm not in the club at the moment because thankfully we have had about nine day's of thunder here this year.

Had this have bin last year though then it would be a different story.

2010 was the worst year I have ever known for thunder and will gladly erase it from my mind!

Posted

Another letdown for 2011 in Cheltenham , but what's new! wallbash.gif I guess there is still November yet but I think this mostly applies to the SE by the coasts if I'm right. (something to do with the sea temps)

We all know who the winners are this year don't we ?girl_devil.gif and maybe again next year knowing our luck.

Now, there's always 2012 yet..... whistling.gif (time will tell, as the saying goes)lazy.gif

Posted

Place along the Channel and around the Bristol Channel tend to do well from relevant airmasses in autumn. November 2009 brought 4 days of thunder to Yatton (my hometown) from similar setups feeding showers off the Channel.

Posted

Hopefully I'll see something in November Mike, now I have the river Severn almost on my doorstep lol whistling.gif

Posted

now I have the river Severn almost on my doorstep lol whistling.gif

Sounds like you need sandbags Jane!

Posted

Hopefully I'll see something in November Mike, now I have the river Severn almost on my doorstep lol whistling.gif

Fingers crossed! I'm in the southeast until December 10th so I'll be looking for a slightly different setup. Some examples of good setups that delivered thunderstorms:

Rrea00120091103.gif

Rrea00120091104.gif

Rrea00120091107.gif

Rrea00120091122.gif