Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2011/2012

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Looks like im not going to see a storm in bedford again this year :( have had 3 days of rumbles in the distnace but no actual lightning which sucks. Im leaving for south africa in two days to do some volunteering and backpacking for 6 months because i can't get a freekin job here lol! Hopefully i will get out of the no storms club while there because when i was a kid i remember monster lightning storms rolling in most nights in the summer! I imagine the uk will be hit with some great storms in the coming weeks just to take the mick so good luck nsc members!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Good Luck Dave smile.png remember though, storms only apply for the Uk.

Friday night I had a storm so so near and it decided to head off ten miles away grrr. I managed to see a couple flashes with no thunder. wallbash.gif Maybe Autumn will bring something lol.

Have a great time in South Africa, enjoy yer storms.smile.png

Posted

Ok, just to make everybody envious I came across this photo and what can I say but Wow!!ohmy.png Are ya all jealous Lol rolleyes.gif

lightning_kotsiopoulos.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100720.html

And to while away the time, I went on a storm chase lol.whistling.gif

http://www.box10.com/storm-chasers-the-chase.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Maybe Autumn will bring something lol.

There's always the tiny tiny TINY chance of thundersnow! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

Now I've seen spider lightning (or ribbon as also known), intracloud, fork, but never what I think this pic should be aptly titled...'Spaghetti' lightning.

Not in Solihull anyway. dry.png

Phil.

Posted

I had my suspicions about that one too, Dave.

Two things that just don't look quite right.

1, The raindrops falling from the arch at the top of the pic, but the person and the ground he's standing on looks bone dry.

2, Right clicking on the image and then 'Properties' gives you the source URL. In this case, NASA. Now that can be deemed to be suspicious in itself.

But just my thoughts. Nice lightning though, doctored or not.

Phil.

Posted

I honestly think it's real due to being published on a Nasa site. I think the reason we can't believe it is because we never ever see anything like this in the UK lol.smile.png

Anyhow, when's our next lot of storms going to be? rolleyes.gif

Posted

Anyhow, when's our next lot of storms going to be? rolleyes.gif

Unless you're planning to go camping in France this week, nothing out as far as the GFS goes currently (which is next week) doh.gif

Rmgfs546.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

That lightning was taken in florida i think, the foreground looks like the car park at world of leather in Wigan, and note the localised shower and man looking for bats

Posted

There's always the tiny tiny TINY chance of thundersnow! rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif Thundersnow? what's that? rolleyes.gifunsure.pngcc_confused.gif that'll be the day Bugganuts lol.

Posted

rolleyes.gif Thundersnow? what's that? rolleyes.gifunsure.pngcc_confused.gif that'll be the day Bugganuts lol.

Courtesy of Wikipedia :p

"Thundersnow, also known as a winter thunderstorm or a thunder snowstorm, is a relatively rare kind of thunderstorm with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain. It typically falls in regions of strong upward motion within the cold sector of an extratropical cyclone. Thermodynamically, it is not different from any other type of thunderstorms but the top of the cumulonimbus are usually quite low.

While relatively rare anywhere, is more common with lake effect snow in the Great Lakes area of the United States and Canada, the midwestern U.S., and the Great Salt Lake. Thundersnow also occurs in Halifax, Nova Scotia, sometimes several times per winter season. Bozeman, Montana also sees thundersnow more often than average with these storms typically occurring in April or May. The British Isles and other parts of northwestern Europe occasionally report thunder and lightning during sleet or (usually wet) snow showers during winter and spring."

So yea I wouldn't pin any hopes on it haha!

Posted

Courtesy of Wikipedia blum.gif

"Thundersnow, also known as a winter thunderstorm or a thunder snowstorm, is a relatively rare kind of thunderstorm with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain. It typically falls in regions of strong upward motion within the cold sector of an extratropical cyclone. Thermodynamically, it is not different from any other type of thunderstorms but the top of the cumulonimbus are usually quite low.

While relatively rare anywhere, is more common with lake effect snow in the Great Lakes area of the United States and Canada, the midwestern U.S., and the Great Salt Lake. Thundersnow also occurs in Halifax, Nova Scotia, sometimes several times per winter season. Bozeman, Montana also sees thundersnow more often than average with these storms typically occurring in April or May. The British Isles and other parts of northwestern Europe occasionally report thunder and lightning during sleet or (usually wet) snow showers during winter and spring."

So yea I wouldn't pin any hopes on it haha!

Lol, yes, I know what thundersnow is but thanks for the info. smile.png

A fine chance we got then lollazy.gifwink.png

Posted

Lol, yes, I know what thundersnow is but thanks for the info. smile.png

A fine chance we got then lollazy.gifwink.png

Ahhh haha! I mis-interpreted :p Good ol' sarcasm.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Hey all just got on the internet for the first time in a while and a friend on facebook is sayin storms are comin so i hope people in bedford finaly get somthing plus all the NSC members. I moved to SA a few weeks ago and omg the storms here are completly insane~! Im now leaving the no storms club if i can via my move after i had two hours of constant lightning with almost no rain on tuesday! Best part was it wasnt even forcast and everyone here sais it was a tiny storm so i cant wait to see what they call a large one haha!. I took these pictures http://www.thetoastpeople.co.uk/africa/Lightning13thsept/ some were damn close my hair was standing on end but that wasnt going to scare me inside! will upload some video if anyone is interested when i can get the bandwidth. Below is the best one i took

7.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Nice photos Dave, you are weiser to move to south afrika for lightning lol, jpg number 9 is excellent,

Bedford had thunder today.

Posted

Hey all just got on the internet for the first time in a while and a friend on facebook is sayin storms are comin so i hope people in bedford finaly get somthing plus all the NSC members. I moved to SA a few weeks ago and omg the storms here are completly insane~! Im now leaving the no storms club if i can via my move after i had two hours of constant lightning with almost no rain on tuesday! Best part was it wasnt even forcast and everyone here sais it was a tiny storm so i cant wait to see what they call a large one haha!. I took these pictures http://www.thetoastp...htning13thsept/ some were damn close my hair was standing on end but that wasnt going to scare me inside! will upload some video if anyone is interested when i can get the bandwidth. Below is the best one i took

7.JPG

Excellent Dave, some great photos there. Aren't you luckybiggrin.png We're still not doing to well over here in the ' land of no storms 'lol.

Maybe I should move to South Africa...wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Some fab photos there Dave, although you are much braver than me! Since our house got struck when I was about 13 I have been rather terrified of thunder and lightning, and can be found cowering in the house rather than getting the camera out :) Last storm I was in was on the way to the lakes in August, I can't remember the last one we experienced at home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Can my membership grow back, if it's been so long since I've had a storm?blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I've got one leg in and one leg out. The one overhead storm of the year here was on May 6th when I was in the southeast so I didn't actually witness it. Ever since then, all there have been are little rumbles in the distance from closeby showers. I didn't think this year could be less thundery than last year but it may just happen. Bring back 2006 when there were 20+ thunderstorms!

Posted

Can my membership grow back, if it's been so long since I've had a storm?blum.gif

Course you can rejoin Lauren... you poor thing.sad.png

I've got one leg in and one leg out. The one overhead storm of the year here was on May 6th when I was in the southeast so I didn't actually witness it. Ever since then, all there have been are little rumbles in the distance from closeby showers. I didn't think this year could be less thundery than last year but it may just happen. Bring back 2006 when there were 20+ thunderstorms!

I second that regarding 2006smile.png although I only had a couple storms then not twenty plus lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Course you can rejoin Lauren... you poor thing.sad.png

But then I'd feel bad. You haven't had a storm and I have had one (all be it not very good).

Posted

are you still in the NSC jane

Sadly, yes Stucray.gifhelp.gif But there's always next year yet for a storm. biggrin.png

But then I'd feel bad. You haven't had a storm and I have had one (all be it not very good).

Not to worry though hopefully I will catch up with you next year. lol