Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2011/2012

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Agreed.

We do though have a better chance of thundery showers after wednesday. But what usually happens is the Bristol Channel kills them off then they intensify again when they head east haha.

Yep, that's what's happened all summer here!! Our best shout for thunderstorms is a plume type event, but the couple that there has been this year have been too far east!!

Still going to watch tonight though, something in me is telling me too just incase!!

Posted

I must have missed those on Saturday. Radar looked pretty clear before I went to bed unless they were of the diurnal type.

Typical otherwise. That's twice then this year. Just after midnight on 28th June 2011 and now maybe 20th/21st August 2011?

I need to change my sleeping pattern. Become more nocturnal when sferics seem likely. And if the set up is right, then I'll sleep with one eye open for any storm potential tonight. I have camera tripod mounted and batteries charged. Just needs the skies to be charged.

Phil.

Posted

Can I apply for re-admission? I left earlier in the year after a heavy shower with half a dozen flashes, but it was hardly a storm! Now, I'll admit I did hear 2 very distant rumbles at 1.30am on Sunday morning, but this looks like yet another whole summer, without what could be called a "proper" thunderstorm. Whatever happened to being woken at 4 or 5 in the morning by a French import, or watching a big beast moving slowly from the south at 5pm?

Posted

You may indeed, Dave. But we don't want you here for any longer than is necessary.

It's not that we don't appreciate members, far from it but a Spring/Summer or even Autumn is not complete without a decent thunderstorm.

Good luck. :)

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Looks like im still here, So much for a big storm event. would have been nice to see some lightning seems as i have just under two weeks left in england Thank god. the weather is so boring here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hey everyone, chin up. smile.png There's always the rest of this week yet ! Friday especially!!biggrin.png

I was hoping last night a storm would wonder up through the early hours , I kept waking and checking the radar on my phone and now I'm suffering lol. Nothing happened here not that I expected it to but I did have a little hope that one would pop into Cheltenham and nothing happened anywhere lol grrrrrrr lazy.gif

Posted

the story of this summer really. not really a dig at the absence of storms but rainfall and interesting weather. it seems that anytime rain is forecast it slides away and whithers in central southern england or eastwards leaving us dry once again. barely had a drop of rain this month, and this year is looking very very dry indeed. hoping we can have a wet'n'windy autumn to make up for this benign sort of weather, but without any flooding issues!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

If I'm not out of here by Saturday someone PM me to make sure I'm ok!! Lol!!

It's looking good for a lot of us in the next couple of days! But.......... we have been let down before ain't we??

Posted
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)

I am out of the NSC!!! :D I forgot to post about the storm that took me out of here, but I might have to join again because of the current "All storms must dodge Reading" situation... :S

Posted

Ok, here are the new rules:smile.png

From now on , as long as you get a storm anywhere providing it's in the UK of course and I mean a full blown storm then you can leave the NSC with your head held up high.

It dosen't have to be over yer house anymore...laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

*Old rules apply to Cheltenham only where the weather Gods have refused to accept the application of the updated rules. A meeting will be held in December 2099. :lol:

Posted

*Old rules apply to Cheltenham only where the weather Gods have refused to accept the application of the updated rules. A meeting will be held in December 2099. laugh.png

laugh.png I bet if I travelled up to the North East or down towards the South coast on a spanish plume event I still wouldn't see anything grrrr.

*Old rules apply to Cheltenham only where the weather Gods have refused to accept the application of the updated rules. A meeting will be held in December 2099. laugh.png

Put me down for that - I will only be 147 years old - looking forward to it - could you tell me the time and the venue please.

Can you put me down for membership please - apart from the odd rumbles and odd flashes of lightning, we haven't had a good storm around my house in Watford for yonks - I can't remember the last one - or is it that I am getting old?

Posted

I'll only be 129 years old, Mike. But if I die before then which is probably likely and I can afford to be cryogenically frozen, then thawed out then count me in for the meeting. smile.png But surely a storm for Cheltenham/Gloucester in the next 88 years will happen? Won't it?

Or else the NSC will probably be the longest topic subject in the entire history of internet forums. tease.gif

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Because it's quiet on the storm front ( what's a storm I hear you say!)rolleyes.gifunsure.png

I thought I'd go through the membership of The NSC.

I'm sure Phil will agree with me on the terms provided.

Joining The No Storms Club:

I Jane /we ( Phil) would like to draw up a membership agreement and terms of reference for the No Storms Club . The terms of reference will dictate the criteria for membership.

Membership is annual and retroactive to the beginning of the current calendar year.

Once a person has been enrolled as a member, he/she/ may rant and rave until their hearts content,( minus the swearing of course! )

Membership with the NSC ceases if a member resigns,that is of course, only if they are satisfied they've reached the overhead and non distant storm criteria.

Criteria: Open to all members desperate for a storm and

Who has not had a storm for anytime between 6 months to 10 years.

Usually we find wheelie bins and often jets can sound like thunder and that's what really annoys us the most especially on a storm day.

Anyway, What comes with your

Membership:

You have the ability to shout, roar, yell, rave, bellow, cry, spout and just be damn right angry.

To sit and cry ,to feel hard done by etc, etc.

Renewing your membership

Existing members should renew their membership as per norm.

So what are ya waiting for!aggressive.gif

Go ahead; rant and rave

you know we won't ever get a storm anyway grrrrrr .wallbash.gif

I take it that the storms we get when we are in France don't count - we get some real crackers there - I think the Pyrenees help in making the cu nims bigger plus it is hotter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Gutted! Sod off Summer 2011! You've let me down massively....you won't be missed!mad.gif

Posted

I take it that the storms we get when we are in France don't count - we get some real crackers there - I think the Pyrenees help in making the cu nims bigger plus it is hotter.

Well, this is primarily for the UK. But like certain Members of Parliament, is your residence in France your first home? If so then we may make exceptions to the rule.

But given all the storm activity over parts of France this Summer alone, you'd never have the need to become an NSC member. tease.gif

But yes, and a good call about the Pyrenees and the extra uplift they can produce. It was late May 1995. A hot day (about 29ºc) and the evening produced one massive Cumulonimbus right above the snow-capped peak. The rest of the surrounding sky was totally devoid of cloud. Something I'd never seen before and my only regret was not having a camera handy at the time.

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted

Gutted! Sod off Summer 2011! You've let me down massively....you won't be missed!mad.gif

Am wondering at the moment if you may have spoken too soon? Something looking ominous very near to you going by the MetO radar.

Phil.