Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland - Winter/Spring Weather Discussion Part 6

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Back in Tipp for the weekend, currently 11.6C here, highest since November methinks.

Sounds pretty wild out though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Highest gust of 49.8mph today at 17:40pm.

Currently 8.9c, so quite comfortable walking home.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just wondered where is Frostyjoe (or kimmirut) following his expected freeze up and snowfalls in NI!

Yes so its good enough to snow dunno what you were talking about earlier, we have 4 or 5 possible days it could snow, we have wednesday night, thursday, saturday, sunday and monday of the week after that.... i think that i will see snow at least one of them days mostly thursday and according to some other folk there is gonny be some heafty showers on thursday the question is will the showers be the type you get in spring where they drop the temp quick?? if so it would be good because if temps are 3c before the shower and this occurs then the temp could rocket to -1c or -2 and it wouldn't take much to lie, but we need that to happen for it to lie.. Looks like an exciting weekend next week will be up late them nights! And since the wind is coming from the north and north west on thursday i should get the brunt of the showers again!! Yippi! Canny wait! (probably all downgraded now)

Apologies I could not resistrolleyes.gif

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Just wondered where is Frostyjoe (or kimmirut) following his expected freeze up and snowfalls in NI!

Apologies I could not resistrolleyes.gif

I think maybe he left again. Every few weeks he seems to just get fed up with people questioning him and says he's done with the forum, only to return shortly after.

That or he's too busy enjoying his snow...

Posted

Snow? you mean No.

Maybe he has one of these in his back garden.

10.JPG

Posted

I think maybe he left again. Every few weeks he seems to just get fed up with people questioning him and says he's done with the forum, only to return shortly after.

That or he's too busy enjoying his snow...

You're half right!

Posted

Up to the 5th across Ireland, all but 4 stations (all coastal) have had at least 50% of their monthly rainfall. Casement (79%), Claremorris (94%) and Shannon Airport (83%) are closest to their monthly totals and with falls of up to 50mm forecast today, a few could easily be exceeded.

You're half right!

Nice to get some good news, thank you :good:

Posted

Quiet.com on here like. Lashin' out there leds and ladies. Probs a bit of the white stuff above 200m or so for those lucky enough.

Posted

Windy again today. The models have gone quiet again haven't they? Bummer.

I still think we'll be much colder again soon enough, but we may have to wait a bit more than I hoped!

Posted

up to 4 inches of snow reported in parts of donegal this morning. limavady mountain road was closed for a time.

Posted

Good to hear the snow isn't too far away even in the cooler zonal periods. Might bode well should we see any potent Northerlys or indeed the ellusive (certainly recently) Easterly.

Posted

Well we are running out of time fast Watcher so hopefully something comes along very soon because its been a very boring January and i'm starting to look forward to summer! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

He's nearly as popular on the Scottish thread as he is on the Irish :drinks:

Posted

Well we are running out of time fast Watcher so hopefully something comes along very soon because its been a very boring January and i'm starting to look forward to summer! lol

Indeed, time is of the essence and I think it'd be quite unusual not to see at least a brief cold snap before winter is out or in early spring.

Certainly would love to see a Northerly toppler with hail/sleet/snow showers, we haven't had any of those this year and I love seeing those messy squally shower tops.

Posted

Some impressive rainfall totals relative to the norm across Ireland recently, with the exception of the south coast.

agri_percentRainfall.gif

http://www.met.ie/latest/agricultural.asp

Posted

What do you think folks. If this next cold, does turn into a battle ground between the cold from Europe and an Atlantic front, will we get our usual rain/sleet in the Emerald isle?

Yeah I know it's days away from any degree of faith in the models, but opinions are welcome...

Posted

I see the fog in Cork has sadly contributed to a plane crash this morning:

A plane carrying 10 passengers and two crew crashed in foggy conditions in the Irish Republic today. The turbo prop aircraft travelling from Belfast crash landed on a runway at Cork Airport on the third attempt to land. A Cork County council statement said three people had died and two were trapped in the wreckage. Unconfirmed reports on RTE claimed that eight people were killed in the accident.

The Manx2 commuter flight was en route from Belfast when it crashed in heavy fog at Cork Airport just before 10am on runway 17. The Irish Aviation Authority says the aircraft made two attempts to land before crashing. "It had been trying to land in foggy conditions. This was its third attempt to land," an IAA spokeswoman said.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/belfast-flight-crashes-at-cork-airport-15079566.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jmTj6CxqrvyLn2y0FrwOfQhPPvSQ?docId=N0658001297334827909A

Posted

I see the fog in Cork has sadly contributed to a plane crash this morning:

Very large and unfounded statement. Fog-bound Cork flights always divert to Shannon.

Posted

Very large and unfounded statement. Fog-bound Cork flights always divert to Shannon.

Of course yet to be investigated, but have a look at this post with METARS and analysis including weather from another member:

The Irish Aviation Authority responsible for running the airport said the fog was so thick that air traffic controllers in a nearby tower could not see the crash, only hear it.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41507198/ns/world_news-europe/

Posted

Of course yet to be investigated, but have a look at this post with METARS and analysis including weather from another member:

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2044852

http://today.msnbc.m...ld_news-europe/

And I'm not saying that wasn't the case at all, but I know a thing or 2 about the safety aspect of air traffic control, and all recent histories suggest the flight would have been diverted if it was too thick. Also, the air control tower is several hundred metres from the point of impact.

Anyway, this is probably making mountains out of molehills.

RIP those who lost their lives, and speedy recovery is how to close this discussion, don't you agree Coast?

Was Cork Airport, or the aircraft or both fitted with ILS?

We shouldn't really get crashes like this in this day and age at modern European airports with modern aircraft no matter what the visibility.

I also wonder what the conditions were like at Shannon or Waterford Airports and whether it would have been feasible to have diverted after two unsuccessful attempts to land at Cork.

Posted

Chance of snow Sunday night into Monday! Probably fall mostly as snow on hillier regions and sleet to lower ground. Not getting my hopes up as things can change. Would be nice to see!