Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - general discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Circululation and baroclinic leaf can be seen forming on the satellite loop, the 12z gfs really upgraded the depression and wind speed of this system... One to watch over the coming hours

http://www.sat24.com/eu

Edited by james12

Posted

Another satellite image of the developing low, really caught my eye this feauture

post-9615-0-16651100-1297018449_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-93001500-1297018857_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-22961800-1297018869_thumb.gi

Edited by james12

Posted

This developing low was underestimated, with storm force winds hitting wales and nw england gusting 75-85mph. The lack of warnings is not accceptable, many will have been caught out here with severe winds, i just hope there is no injuries as a result.

Posted

This developing low was underestimated, with storm force winds hitting wales and nw england gusting 75-85mph. The lack of warnings is not accceptable, many will have been caught out here with severe winds, i just hope there is no injuries as a result.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Posted

What is it with Wales and very strong winds, aberdaron has had severe gales 70-80mph gusts for prolonged period now, is there many people living there?

Thats a good question.

4 days it`s been and all from the SW mainly,aberdaron is on the coast but north and west Wales do seem to get the highest gusts most of the time.

I see even manchester is getting 40mph mean gusting to 58mph the same as shawbury today.

Doesn`t seem anything like friday night.

Still there was gales this morning though,slackened off in the last couple of hours.

Posted

Quite a noteable wind event this morning, with severe gales and storm force winds recorded for Wales and NW England, with tops gusts 80-85mph.

Land gales are pretty widespread with many locations recording means of force 7-8 inland with gusts typically 55-60mph and higher in a few places.

I know this low has very little chance of making its way over to the UK. Anyone care to explain why its moving up North to Iceland and Greenland area? For the last 24 hours I've been watching it progress through the models and its hasn't changed the time frame and hasn't really changed the wind speed either.

Tuesday 12z Output.

Tuesday 18z Output.

Wednesday 00z Output.

Wednesday 06z Output.

Wednesday 12z Output.

Wednesday 18z Output.

If this storm was to hit the UK would be a lot worse than last Thursday and Fridays storm I would think. ECM and Met Office agree on its tracking as well.

As another day passes by I've taken the pictures of what each run has said. In summary over the last 24 hours nothing much has changed the low pressure is still set to hit Iceland and Greenland area. Pressure charts are showing it to be a low of about 928mb! Iceland have a weather warning out for wind speeds of 70mph. It will be interesting to see what they do get up there.

Last 24 hours outputs.

00z.

06z.

12z.

18z.

Edited by weathermaster

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Due to the recent quiet spell of weather, we've not had anything to discuss in this thread. However, the Atlantic is back with many of us, particularly Northern areas, experiencing some pretty strong gusts. My location is currently seeing wind gusts of around 54mph, which isn't significantly strong, but it's a welcome change IMO. :D

Posted

Has been windy here all week on Wednesday night we got a top gust of 64mph at 3am and last night a top gust of 75mph at 5am.

It's always windy where you are Sean :lol: Seriously though, it's good to see some active weather for a change as it's been pretty dull around here recently.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Currently very windy across parts of the UK, with areas of North Wales seeing gusts of around 72mph. For my area, although not too windy at present, it looks as if the strongest winds will arrive around the early part of this afternoon with mean speeds of around 25mph expected, perhaps gusting to 40-50mph.

Noticed that N.W. has issued a weather warning wrt the wind :

Posted

At 0600z the low is centred off western Scotland with most of the UK in the warm sector. Typical warm sector conditions here earlier with 8/8 St, occasional drizzle, temp 12 with a min of 10. No dramatic clearance behind the front.

Posted

Seems the low is passing right over me so only seeing gusts of 45mph. Northern England looks like its getting a very windy day.

Hi Sean, Yes it's gusting to around 65mph atm. I've just learned that a large tree has fallen across one of the main roads at Castle Howard.

As I said on a previous thread, it's very fortunate that nobody was hurt given how busy the road is. The arboretum is just around the corner, so I should imagine the forestry guys will soon have it sorted.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Noticed there was a 77 mph gust at Loftus, NE England at 1200 :o - still gusting to 70 mph.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/loftus_latest_weather.html

Hi Sean, Yes it's gusting to around 65mph atm. I've just learned that a large tree has fallen across one of the main roads at Castle Howard.

As I said on a previous thread, it's very fortunate that nobody was hurt given how busy the road is. The arboretum is just around the corner, so I should imagine the forestry guys will soon have it sorted.

Sounds bad keep safe.

Noticed there was a 77 mph gust at Loftus, NE England at 1200 :o - still gusting to 70 mph.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Looking at XCweather that area where Loftus is getting a right hammering.

Wind is starting to ease off just a little bit here sea looks rough but its a nice sunny day.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/loftus_latest_weather.html

Indeed, Loftus appears to be the windiest place in the UK at present. It's certainly been a much wilder day than I was expecting.