Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

If it's of any interest the seven categories of Ac used for reporting purposes in a full synoptic observation including the symbols. You don't see it so often these days with the proliferation of AWS.

The synoptic symbols are quite neat, what is the symbol that looks like an ice-cream cone? I sometimes see them on the meteocentre sferics maps, thought it maybe funnel cloud.

Posted

The synoptic symbols are quite neat, what is the symbol that looks like an ice-cream cone? I sometimes see them on the meteocentre sferics maps, thought it maybe funnel cloud.

It doesn't ring a bell. It presumably must be particular to sferics maps. I doubt it's a funnel cloud.

Posted

Another 1 of these dark cloud days that formed all around at 1 point after a brilliant start (more to the north and east) but this time nothing did come of it unlike the slight showers of yesterday. Still think it could be interesting later on in the week as the atmosphere gets a bit more juicy

Edited by NUT

Posted

A good photo, though I think that example is quite easy to confuse with cumulus (I don't often see AcCas get that big!).

Here's a classic illustration of what AcCas tends to look like:

http://upload.wikime...Castellanus.jpg

It can get a bit borderline if the cloud is quite low. You may then end up reporting Cu at 5000 or 6000ft. Having said that I have seen quite large turrets on Ac Cas on occasion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That is a great photo Harry, very pronounced examples.

Thanks Dave :D

I was on my way out for night on the tiles after having dinner at Bluewater, clapped my eyes on these and thought, "Why!!! why tonight when I am going to be in clubs!!"...I must have smoked about 10 cigs in under an hour just so I could stay out and watch the storms lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Ac-Ca, a good example would be "skinny storm", mid level, quite skinny and towering upwards, almost like a large cumulus that has been cut into soldiers.

Kinda like this, though can become quite skinny and towering with better shape.

original_mmmm4.jpg?1285780550

Posted

GFS has been suggesting some good CAPE values on saturday, quite widespread. And it has been quite consistent with it, in fact expanding it over the last few days. Will be interesting to see if it materialises. GFS breaks out precip too.

GFS suggesting an isolated shower tomorrow in the Wiltshire area. The Met Office also mentioned this in their forecast for the SW.

Posted

GFS Does look good for us up here through saturday and sunday

Posted

Further to my last post Met Office invent breaks out a few lively showers tomorrow evening so some good consistency there. All the indications are that a few could pop up in western parts of England, Wales and the West midlands.

Posted

Further to my last post Met Office invent breaks out a few lively showers tomorrow evening so some good consistency there. All the indications are that a few could pop up in western parts of England, Wales and the West midlands.

Id like to get some storms over into east-anglia ,it seems that the S.E area will be cooling down by the weekend,with storms staying over France and perhaps SouthWest England

Posted

Id like to get some storms over into east-anglia ,it seems that the S.E area will be cooling down by the weekend,with storms staying over France and perhaps SouthWest England

I think the SE will still be very warm this weekend. The models are focusing convection towards western parts at the moment but they are very changeable so hopefully a more widespread area could see some action.

Posted

I think the SE will still be very warm this weekend. The models are focusing convection towards western parts at the moment but they are very changeable so hopefully a more widespread area could see some action.

Yes maybe around 21c in some places like Cambridgeshire, but more like 15c in coastal areas, guess it all depends ware the low heads across France, the east may end up in a cool N-NE flow ,i hope it doesnt though! ...

Edited by Sprites

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif

sundays fax shows a couple of weather fronts

moving through

if we can build enough heat during the day

i would assume it could spark off some storms

lets all keep our fingers crossed lol ,i wish Britain was towed 500miles further south ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Storm Risk Day 2

lets take a look at wednesday(today)

i have taken a closer look at the south as this seems to be the highest risk of any thing sparking off if we can build those clouds!

-

CAPE and lifted index

post-11361-0-56626200-1303259525_thumb.p

post-11361-0-30377600-1303259594_thumb.p

the bright areas of colour indicate the greatest level of unstable air and convective available energy to use

-

next is the Cumulus base height, the red and yellow area is best for potential greatest cloud height

post-11361-0-33915700-1303259847_thumb.p

post-11361-0-78080800-1303260042_thumb.p

-

GFS breaks out precipitation in the thunder/shower risk area over parts of the south by late afternoon.

we need the hottest part of the day to hit those temps up high and humid!

post-11361-0-35430900-1303260093_thumb.p

post-11361-0-28088000-1303260110_thumb.p

next is the highest Dew points , this is pushing the storm potential across the line, this increases the risk of a shower turning big.

post-11361-0-37658100-1303260298_thumb.p

and the highest temps max

post-11361-0-64944800-1303260405_thumb.p

post-11361-0-09775300-1303260450_thumb.p

-

i am including a thunderstorm risk box, this would include showers becoming thundery or intense but also a risk of storms!

this is only my guide based on my thoughts, things may change and may have by time i write this!!

please feel free to correct me on anything i get wrong . thanks.:drinks:

post-11361-0-76383300-1303260486_thumb.p

Posted

As it happens at sunrise this morning there was Ci with strips of Ac (not Cas) present plus some Ac Cas. The Camborne midnight sounding gives a fair indication of levels. Say between 630 and 520mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Storm Risk Day 2

lets take a look at wednesday(today)

i have taken a closer look at the south as this seems to be the highest risk of any thing sparking off if we can build those clouds!

-

CAPE and lifted index

post-11361-0-56626200-1303259525_thumb.p

post-11361-0-30377600-1303259594_thumb.p

the bright areas of colour indicate the greatest level of unstable air and convective available energy to use

-

next is the Cumulus base height, the red and yellow area is best for potential greatest cloud height

post-11361-0-33915700-1303259847_thumb.p

post-11361-0-78080800-1303260042_thumb.p

-

GFS breaks out precipitation in the thunder/shower risk area over parts of the south by late afternoon.

we need the hottest part of the day to hit those temps up high and humid!

post-11361-0-35430900-1303260093_thumb.p

post-11361-0-28088000-1303260110_thumb.p

next is the highest Dew points , this is pushing the storm potential across the line, this increases the risk of a shower turning big.

post-11361-0-37658100-1303260298_thumb.p

and the highest temps max

post-11361-0-64944800-1303260405_thumb.p

post-11361-0-09775300-1303260450_thumb.p

-

i am including a thunderstorm risk box, this would include showers becoming thundery or intense but also a risk of storms!

this is only my guide based on my thoughts, things may change and may have by time i write this!!

please feel free to correct me on anything i get wrong . thanks.:drinks:

Thanks for posting that info :)

Interesting to say the least. Met O have mentioned a chance of an outside shower for me today, but still never mentioned the T word Lol.

It's all eyes to the skies today and plenty of radar watching. My weather stations are showing rain with the pressure dropping . GL all.

Posted

there some good news here this morning the Met office mentioned Showers expected later on Sunday. here so That a Start :D

Good Luck Jane

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Woke up to this and now its comming overhead it looks fairly dark!

s8304695.jpg

Posted

New potential, new thread!