Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

certainly some very heavy activity off to the southwest at the moment. Temperature has gone from 11.0C to 12.1C and these showers have come straight from NW france looking at the radar. Isolated rumble of thunder possible?

Just had a bright flash and loud rumble of thunder!! Make that 2 flashes and 2 rumbles of thunder!

Edited by Scarlet_Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Edit now have a few flashes and rumbles going off! First storm of 2011!

Just had a bright flash and loud rumble of thunder!! Make that 2 flashes and 2 rumbles of thunder!

Lovely cloud to ground then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Haha we have missed the worst here, mid and west wales having a good storm at the moment though can still see the flashes!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just had a tremendous little storm of TL every minute, brilliant flashes and blue forks within a mile, Torrential rain and hail and gale force winds. Also its gone warm 14c at Pembrey.

Posted

Has reached as far North as Southport now, some nice lightning strikes (although not that close, seems to be a few more miles inland)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Has reached as far North as Southport now, some nice lightning strikes (although not that close, seems to be a few more miles inland)

Although I don't know if there has been any CG lightning yet, yes there has been loud thunder and torrential rain here which has woken me up!!!! Totally unexpected

Edited by chris93

Posted

Although I don't know if there has been any CG lightning yet, yes there has been loud thunder and torrential rain here which has woken me up!!!! Totally unexpected

woke me up in st helens,nice suprise though.:-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

a few rumbles of thunder in the last half an hour, might have been more but I was asleep. Havent heard any for a few minutes now but keep getting very long crackley sferics on the radio. Last night I did see some potential by 1000 today but I didn't think anything of it. Totaly unforecast, but then again all the storms in the NW never seem to be forecast. Just hope we get some more. Wow just heard a 4 second long sferic!

it's also become very warm and humid with that close thundery feeling that I love.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

it's started raining again now but I've not heard any sferics for a while

Posted

Not surprising, a fair bit of activity in the NW at 0520z moving east and dissipating and the odd rogue in Dorset now gone. Any fuzzy Cbs at Morcambe?

image_b_uk.png

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Thunder here now - 2 storms in a week - what is going on !!

Posted

Got woken up by thunder at about 5.15 this morning up here in NE england,along with heavy rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very unexpected indeed - am quite jealous - I've not heard thunder or seen lightning at all in 2011!! There was a small storm in London in January/Feb, but was I there to see it? Of course not!

When I stepped outside this morning, I noticed how it feels very much like my first chase day on Tour 1 last year (in OK)...beaming sunshine (fair amount of cloud though too), warm and quite humid strong breeze from the south...does feel conducive to storms - but 99.9% chance it wont be :cray:

I think I have no chance today, the trough is fizzling out at the front is forecast to be nothing other than a line of cloud.

Maybe tomorrow in the post frontal airmass...

What I also find somewhat peculiar is the new super dooper MetO warnings...apparently the thunderstorm/torrential rain activity across the country over night and at present doesn't qualify for a weather warning or even watch!

I'm very curious indeed as to how they will manage warnings for storms as we approach May/June, in particular plume events! :D

Edited by Harry

Posted

Estofex were bang on the money though Harry for last night. I viewed there outlook which they updated at about 9pm last night stating there was a chance of Elevated Thunderstorms moving North at the Western End of the English Channel due to an EML Moving up from NW Spain and Biscay. Went to bed at 0030 and was watching the first Sferics and radar echoes approaching the far SW Of Cornwall.

Paul S

Posted

Laura Tobin going with 'some thunder possible' today on her early morning broadcast :wub:

ESTOFEX for today:

post-6667-0-69776800-1301733750.png

Storm Forecast

Valid: Sat 02 Apr 2011 06:00 to Sun 03 Apr 2011 06:00 UTC

Issued: Sat 02 Apr 2011 02:47

Forecaster: VAN DER VELDE

A level 1 was issued for southern Turkey and Cyprus for tornadoes and severe wind gusts.

A level 1 was issued for the western Iberian peninsula and Basque region mainly for marginally large hail.

SYNOPSIS

A mildly unstable summer-like warm plume situation is developing over western Europe. Meanwhile, a large low with unstable airmass following behind a cold front, where CAPE and shear overlap, passes over Turkey.

DISCUSSION

During the night both GFS and ECMWF develop lots of convective precipitation over France, associated with CAPE from a shallow layer of elevated parcels.As QG lift sources seem to lag this precipitation area, and instability and EL heights aren't that enhanced, thunder percentages have been kept low. Also the afternoon convective chances in central France depend critically on actual moisture content and upper destabilization.

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_18.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_18_00Z.png

PGNE14_CL.gif

cape.curr.1800lst.d2.png

zsfclcldif.curr.1800lst.d2.png

sfcdewpt.curr.1800lst.d2.png

gfs_layer_eur18.png

gfs_kili_eur18.png

gfs_spout_eur18.png

gfs_lapse2_eur18.png

Checkout Norway later today!

gfs_stp_eur18.png

Ireland today, Scotland tomorrow?

post-6667-0-69776800-1301733750_thumb.pn

Posted

Certainly looks like it was a fairly active morning across SW Wales and parts of N/NW England judging by the amount of strikes picked up on the MET's ATD net.:

http://andvari.vedur.../i_dag_na.html?

Looks like a pre-frontal trough helped to release some instability within the warm sector, interacting with the moist air mass, with lapse rates still steep in the mid-levels:

http://www.meteociel...o/fax/fax0s.gif

Were some rather intense returns from radar imagery across aformentioned regions during the period, suggestive of some torrential downpours. Still showers/storms developing currently along this trough line ahead of the cold front across more southern counties.

Must admit, can't really say I was expecting any substantial storm activity going into today.

Spot on about the trough. Not so sure about the warm sector.

Posted

Thunder here now - 2 storms in a week - what is going on !!

Heard nothing here in Warminster & only a dampened ground, how many flashes / rumbles were there?

Having scanned the NW radar the cell responsible is obvious and very fast moving when zoomed to BA12!

Posted

Why?

If you look at the fax chart you'll see that at 00Z the cold front/frontal wave was positioned over Ireland and up towards north-west Scotland; the warm front, well ahead of the CF, was positioned from mainland Europe up towards Scandinavia. Between these two frontal boundaries lies the warm sector, characterised by modest dew points. Beneath cool air aloft, this would have generated elevated instability, with the trough aiding in releasing this instability.

Agreed. I'll withdraw that somewhat hasty comment. Much the same at 06z.