Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

One of my favourite members - nice to see you back BT smile.png

Likewise IF ... at the end of the day netweather and the regional threads are just too hard - and too good - a habit to break good.gif Hopefully theres plenty more interesting days to come for in the next 4 months or so for all of us (ahem) "north of Watford" smile.png

I was walking around Kings Building Campus when that happened and there was about 10 minutes of serious insane horizontal monsoon like rain with hail mixed in. Though I will say now if you are ever looking at the university weather station it tends to underestimate wind speeds and be generous with rain fall since it uses a tipping bucket rain gauge and its on the top of the JCMB building with is 9 floors high so the wind tends to rattle it and give you higher readings.

Thanks for the info sammie. I've not been in JCMB since.... eh ... May 1984 !

Posted

Thanks for the info sammie. I've not been in JCMB since.... eh ... May 1984 !

It wont have changed much on the outside but they refurbished the inside this summer so it has a freaking Costa Coffee in it now ¬_¬ cheers thats really affordable student food EUSA never mind I hide in the bio department and ignore everything else. Ahem. But yeah the new anemometer is crap as well. The whole weather station needs replaced we had a good one like three years ago when I started at the uni and the builders damaged it about a year ago and now the department doesn't have the funding to get a nice one so we're stuck with the bare minimum according to a friend who's doing honours geophysics.

Hi everyone, good to see the old faces and a new ones. Hoping for some drama over the coming months but not counting any frozen chickens just yet cool.png

Good start today certainly. One of the coldest mid-October afternoons I can recall in these parts after that all that cold-air backed up behind the front. Evaporative cooling in the rain I guess and if it had been 4 weeks later we'd probably have been walking and driving in some slushy stuff. HT to Shuggee earlier for highlighting that staggering and rapid drop in temperature around mid-morning. Then the wind dropped and the rain fell and boy that was a cold day

Kudos also to the BBC forecast last night which was very accurate in that respect. Although they chickened out of it somewhat by the breakfast time forecast (don't know why...)

What was the max in Edinburgh today??

I make it 12C at 9am and then falling to 7C by 9.30am and not recovering.

Found a cold October day....erm, October 3rd it was a maximum of 7.8C in 1994...:rofl:

October 1993 was pretty chilly mid-month 7.1C max on the 16th.

October 1992 was 8.1C on the 16th.

October 1987 max of 8.1C on the 10th.

October 1981 max of 9C on the 5th.

October 1978 max of 21C on the 11th!!!!!!!!

October 1973 max of 23C on the 2nd and then 9C on the 10th....and we thought it was warm this year?!

All available from here: http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Edinburgh_Airport/10-1973/31600.htm

Other locations are easy to work out, please let me know if you've got a request :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

What was the max in Edinburgh today??

I make it 12C at 9am and then falling to 7C by 9.30am and not recovering.

Found a cold October day....erm, October 3rd it was a maximum of 7.8C in 1994...rofl.gif

October 1993 was pretty chilly mid-month 7.1C max on the 16th.

October 1992 was 8.1C on the 16th.

October 1987 max of 8.1C on the 10th.

October 1981 max of 9C on the 5th.

October 1978 max of 21C on the 11th!!!!!!!!

October 1973 max of 23C on the 2nd and then 9C on the 10th....and we thought it was warm this year?!

All available from here: http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Edinburgh_Airport/10-1973/31600.htm

Other locations are easy to work out, please let me know if you've got a request smile.png

Howdy Catch hi.gif Aye its getting near to that time of year again eh ... The time for reporting snowflakes spotted under lamp-posts at 2:30AM and to hell with getting any sleep !

Yup, one of these upside down temperature days here as you say. 12c early doors so it probably won't show up as that cold a day once its averaged out. But I can't think of too many mid-October days here in the Embra area, where its been 5 or 6c in mid-afternoon and cold and wet. A real reminder that Winter is just around the corner.

Heres hoping for another good winter season...

Howdy Catch hi.gif Aye its getting near to that time of year again eh ... The time for reporting snowflakes spotted under lamp-posts at 2:30AM and to hell with getting any sleep !

Yup, one of these upside down temperature days here as you say. 12c early doors so it probably won't show up as that cold a day once its averaged out. But I can't think of too many mid-October days here in the Embra area, where its been 5 or 6c in mid-afternoon and cold and wet. A real reminder that Winter is just around the corner.

Heres hoping for another good winter season...

Howdy to you too, it's only the snow watchers who come out of hibernation in October.

Very big temp drop first thing today, a 5C drop in 30 mins is pretty special. I'm not sure I've seen that too often before?? Certainly not long after sunrise? Even in the depths of winter a 5C drop in 30 mins at 6pm or 7pm would be notable. I appreciate it was due to the cold front, but what a cold front!!

Posted

Welcome back GraemeB smile.png

Gilly, when are you leaving, because tomorrow could be conductive to snow showers above say 100/200m in Inverness at times.

Hi IF.....

We have just been talking about the prospect of early snow again. We are travelling south on 7th November to catch the Ferry........may actually leave the day before just in case!

This current cold incursion wont affect us, but no doubt will have my other half cursing if he has to clear the snow even just once this winter! I on the other hand, wont mind seeing a nice wee covering just once before I leave.good.gif

Welcome back to the winter regulars. smile.png

Been raining heavily on and off all night, temps still 5C

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Hi IF.....

We have just been talking about the prospect of early snow again. We are travelling south on 7th November to catch the Ferry........may actually leave the day before just in case!

This current cold incursion wont affect us, but no doubt will have my other half cursing if he has to clear the snow even just once this winter! I on the other hand, wont mind seeing a nice wee covering just once before I leave.good.gif

Welcome back to the winter regulars. smile.png

Been raining heavily on and off all night, temps still 5C

Good stuff! smile.pngpost-12276-0-29017100-1318919300_thumb.j

The hi-res (and very highly accurate) NMM gives you snow starting from 10am onwards tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Good morning guys, I think I somehow slept magically through autumn and went straight into winter. 5C Its still quite dark! Windchill 2C.... brrr got the fire on now. \i think its more than likely that there is snow on the tops of the black cullins now. Welcome to winter peeps. It gonna be a long un!

Posted

Morning.

It's a very chilly 5c here at the moment and blustery. There's been an odd shower here and there since 6am and looking like there is more on the horizon. Yesterday was vile, only because I had to go out in it and not observe from my centrally heated base! But, I'm sure I could feel ice in the drops of rain yesterday......Hello winter good.gif

Posted

5c here too overcast.breezy and showery.Switching on all our loft frostguards today and also the one at our well pump.All unused outside water troughs will also be drained today. Battening down for winter!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Cold windy and wet, 5c and a fine white powder substance on the very tops of the Ochils.

Ah I'm happy to hear this news. I was texting a pal in Falkirk today trying to see if there was snow up on the Ochils but the cloud was still down. It looks like tomorrow is going to brighten up a bit.......so a trip into the hills is definitely on the cards. Ben Lawers NNR perhaps.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yep was disappointed when I came home last night 3.8c and not a drop of snow on the hills. Surprised the Pentlands have nowt as well. I didn't notice any snow on the Ochills this morning on my way to Edinburgh but it may have been hidden under the clouds.Pity all the rain/snow will be in the North West tonight as I expect the temps to be down to 1c in the Cental belt.

sorry.gif

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Ah I'm happy to hear this news. I was texting a pal in Falkirk today trying to see if there was snow up on the Ochils but the cloud was still down. It looks like tomorrow is going to brighten up a bit.......so a trip into the hills is definitely on the cards. Ben Lawers NNR perhaps.

While driving home from work yesterday 6 pm ish, I had sleet on the windscreen of the car as I approached the road junction for Dunfermline, Saline, Knockhill.

Car Thermometer was reading 3 Deg C at that time! cold.gif

After torrential rain all afternoon, showers were very heavy and squally, roads flooded etc!

An early touch of something wintry me thinksohmy.png

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The snow is well down the hills in that area. This mornings weather report from http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/ shows a picture of the lower Glenlyon hills just to the North of Lawers

Posted

Ben Lomond looks like a Christmas Cake today.

First touch of snow is always special. I just with it had waited another two days damnedit! It feels cold in Edinburgh today even though its 8.3C the wind chill is pretty bad today...its a bit windy gusting up to 10m/s here.

Posted

Very windy, with sleet mixed in with the heavy rain showers today and snow falling in Cairngorms. Ben Wyvis is also white on the top.

Temps have risen a little, now 7C

Posted

I thought it was to get colder tonight! Seems warmer than it was all that moisture in the north is just rain! 7.2c now?!boo hoo