Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

East Dunbartonshire is north of the Clyde. 200ft above sea level, in the countryside 1 mile north of the Greater Glasgow conurbation and 6 miles north of the city centre. Where you are, you should be getting some wintryness mixed in with the showers quite soon.

I'm probably within about ten miles of you...let me look at Google Earth!! (edit) 16.2 miles NNE!!!

Still wall to wall rain in the showers, but that's expected here. We had rain with an air temp of -5C last Xmas Day... :rofl:

When was the last time the Kilted Thread was so active!

February??! It's good to be back, isn't it? :) :)

SNOWMAGEDDON!!!!!! -0.5c and heavy horizontal dry snow falling fast and now settling on all surfaces at 100m asl.Hows that for a grumpy old farmer who never gets excited by snow not half. Bet the cows and calves are glad we took them in last Wednesday.

Hi NL, whoever called you grumpy needs their heid examined. You always have been so level headed on here :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'm probably within about ten miles of you...let me look at Google Earth!! (edit) 16.2 miles NNE!!!

Still wall to wall rain in the showers, but that's expected here. We had rain with an air temp of -5C last Xmas Day... :rofl:

Take a trip to the car and see if there's any snow flakes landing on the windscreen :lol:

If there isn't anything wintry right now then I'm sure that tomorow will see most places getting snow and lasting into Tuesday! Also I believe that it won't be long until more areas of Scotland get warnings and perhaps an Amber warning!

Evening all. Temps slowly getting down - sitting at 2.9c here with a dew point of 0.5c. Certainly not as breezy as it was earlier. Just have to wait and see what this cold snap produces here in the east. Exciting model watching at the moment, especially since none of the models appear to have anything quite nailded on( :lol: ) in the short term! When I see the vortex like it is, I keep hoping for another 1984! - Oops, just having a wee sleety shower now! Where's Mondy? Still glued to the naughty step?

They nailed him to the naughty step, with six foot steel rods.

How the hell are you Blitzen?? It's good to be back isn't it?? :) :)

Where's By-Tor?? Anyone else missing presumed banned from the internet?? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

How much does a lamp post cost? I think I need to get one installed. Feel I'm missing out here in the sticks.

EDIT. How about one like this? Or it is too Tumnus the fawn?

Grampian-GP1_lamp_post.jpg

I look at that and think Jack the Ripper! It's not gas is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

just had a peek at my back door light (which is use as my lamppost) and nothing yet. surfaces arev wet because of earlier heavy rain.

Posted

By-Tor the snow dog is back and posted earlier!

I noticed Gilly has moved to France!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Certainly some decent blobs showing on the radar just now. But I'm always slightly surprised in these polar-maritime situations that there isn't more organised longer lasting convection given the long sea-track under cold air. The Great Lakes can have almost continuous snow on the windward shores in similar situations ... but I suppose that the air isn't nearly as cold enough and quite dry enough here to generate the same extremity of localised event that you get there. Too modified here I guess. Probably also why easterlys seem to dump snow a bit more predictably, as long as the air exits relatively nearby europe at sub-zero temperature levels.

All present and correct Catch :good: By-Tor reporting for duty in South Leith !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Sorry was distracted there by a box of turkish delight !

That is a fine lamp post !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Chucking it down with rain here, but way too turbulent at the lamp-post to tell if theres any sleet mixed in (can't tell). We need an observation from Penicuik as the best guide to see if things are going the right way just out of town !

Edit: lots of central belt traffic cams just showing static images from last Thursday so not much help in forming tonight's picture.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Hey catch! How's you? You haven't been breeding again have you?

Saw By-Tor on a few nights ago and snowy owl but a few are still missing yet.

Do you remember that shift last year when the Meto said that front would move south and it stalled across the central belt instead? The Transport Minister resigned and his replacement slept in the control building after the mate blocked! :rofl: What wouldn't I give for a repeat performance of that! I like the way things are shaping up at the moment. Have a look at the January 1984 archives.

I noticed that the other day, gone but still here. People think they can leave but the reality is that once you're a Scottish NW poster you're always one.

We need Cookie and Weathermaster too...almost a full team now.

Hey catch! How's you? You haven't been breeding again have you?

Saw By-Tor on a few nights ago and snowy owl but a few are still missing yet.

Do you remember that shift last year when the Meto said that front would move south and it stalled across the central belt instead? The Transport Minister resigned and his replacement slept in the control building after the mate blocked! :rofl: What wouldn't I give for a repeat performance of that! I like the way things are shaping up at the moment. Have a look at the January 1984 archives.

Still just got three...older and wiser boys now. BoyCatchIII is walking and talking in full sentences. He's only eighteen months but is doing well. Scary really. No more now, I can vouch for that ouch....

Chucking it down with rain here, but way too turbulent at the lamp-post to tell if theres any sleet mixed in (can't tell). We need an observation from Penicuik as the best guide to see if things are going the right way just out of town !

Edit: lots of central belt traffic cams just showing static images from last Thursday so not much help in forming tonight's picture.

How good are those new cams though? We've got a plethora of new cams, M80 and M74 spring to mind but there are easily double the cams from last year. All we need now is the SNAW!!! :) :) :)

Posted

I think we'll need Mondy's list of winter links for the upcoming cold spell.

With much of the north of Scotland getting hammered by snow it really is starting to feel a lot like winter.

I also feel like the only member in the Central Belt who's got any wintry weather!!!

Posted

Great that she still pops in tho' She is going to miss a pasting up there where she used to live by the looks of things. I think the 'white bits' she refers to next year will be somewhat different to ours! :acute:

Posted

Heavy snow in Glen Ogle just behind Killin ...check out traffic Scotland. I think it is 600ft.

:search:

Happy days! Will be passing through Glen Ogle tomorrow on the way to Killin and Glen Lochay.

The Met Office 5-dayer has light snow overnight from Sunday into Monday forecast IMBY but dry all day on Monday - we shall see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I look at that and think Jack the Ripper! It's not gas is it?

He'd be rather bored out here - mainly populated by sheep and cows. Ok, I'm lowering the tone possibly; better leave it there. :lol:

Still prep/snowless here, but hell the chat is good on NW and that'll do me. Mrs SS is out with the ladies so SS is enjoying the freedom of his castle. :drinks:

Great that she still pops in tho' She is going to miss a pasting up there where she used to live by the looks of things. I think the 'white bits' she refers to next year will be somewhat different to ours! :acute:

Graeme from Stirling?

All we need now is Mondy and it's a slam dunk....I've seen everyone else recently, even Scott "epic" Anthony....

I'm in too guys

It's absentees we're looking for, you're well in skyeblue :) :) :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you :acute:

It wussnae ma hopes that were up...heckles maybe.

Ha ha, that should provoke him.

It's like a big family get together tonight, superb :) :)

Posted

What about Lady Pakal and her TOORP signature?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Lamp Post at the ready !

Deviant Lamper that I am..

Am on the look out for LS forecast - whre's the North grades !

No northgrades to speak of yet, though we could probably do with a northeastgrade on the precipitation from the NAE for Sunday night http://expertcharts.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2011/12/03/basis12/ukuk/prty/11120506_0312.gif

A shower just made it through the gap to Dundee, and another one is hitting Embra at the moment (with predictable consequences I assume - wet snow in the higher parts of the city, a sleety mix with Shuggee and rain for By-Tor). Still stuck in the middle here in Freuchie, with clear skies and dropping temperatures.

I'll give my update based on the 18Z mesoscale model output, which should be coming out in the next hour and a half, and I reckon by that point we'll have hit 120 pages of our thread, the last 40 of which read like the diary of an overexcited 3 year old in the run up to christmas.