Mildest in Scotland, well let's see....

Machrihanish - 7.6C

West Freugh - 7.3C

Islay - 6.4C

Dundrennan - 6.3C

Prestwick - 6.1C

South Uist - 5.6C

Kirkwall - 4.9C

There you go, Alloa isn't the mildest place in Scotland. Wait until later tommorow when -5C or lower uppers arrive and there should be snow. Look at Lerwick, it's snowing there at 4C

because of the cooler uppers there. In all honesty I wouldn't be booing the temperature yet because any snow today in the Central Belt is a bonus and I'm glad that I got it, the real event starts from Sunday right to Tuesday Evening!

Ok then, woooo! Looks like snow is really getting going on the web cams - even as far down as places like Callander now! Has anybody seen the A9 one near Drumochter? Total blizzard!!

Posted

Callander! Well that's interesting - I'll have a look.

Oh goodness me, Drumochter is a white out and at this rate the road will be closed - thankfully for anyone travelling up there it's just showers. However when you look at the Radar it looks like there's quite a bit of precipitation in the area.

The snow has also got quite a bit east on the A96.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Aye - moving in quick. Surface T, upper T and DPs all dropping quite rapidly as the cold air sweeps down from the NW.

Heavy showers making it quite far east too. A good sign.

Caught a few heavy showers in Edinburgh today, though this seems to be a somewhat poor wind direction for areas north and east of the Lomonds. However, even here a shower has just passed through, and with even heftier showers coming in on a N of WNW wind with colder uppers over the next few hours anywhere could see a dusting of snow by morning. A slacking of winds through the day tomorrow looks to be on the cards before showers push further inland again tomorrow evening.

Aye - moving in quick. Surface T, upper T and DPs all dropping quite rapidly as the cold air sweeps down from the NW.

Heavy showers making it quite far east too. A good sign.

Aye, us southerners would do well to remember that the real snow chances aren't supposed to start until this time tomorrow. Anything overnight is a bonus south of the Clyde-Forth isthmus.

Posted

Aye, us southerners would do well to remember that the real snow chances aren't supposed to start until this time tomorrow. Anything overnight is a bonus south of the Clyde-Forth isthmus.

All the showers this evening have been wintry here. This makes me wonder what's to come with even colder uppers arriving in the coming days.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Hard to call the next few days from an Embra NIMBY perspective. Historically anything from the NW generally gets snagged before it gets here. But WNW can work and I've see the Clyde-Forth corridor deliver lying snow here a few times in these situations. Although taking the snowy episodes of the last 2 winters as a guide doesn't help much...we happily managed to get snow here a few times from relatively unexpected compass points (it wasn't all bog-standard easterly). Bottom line as usual, who knows ! :unknw:

Posted

Hard to call the next few days from an Embra NIMBY perspective. Historically anything from the NW generally gets snagged before it gets here. But WNW can work and I've see the Clyde-Forth corridor deliver lying snow here a few times in these situations. Although taking the snowy episodes of the last 2 winters as a guide doesn't help much...we happily managed to get snow here a few times from relatively unexpected compass points (it wasn't all bog-standard easterly). Bottom line as usual, who knows ! :unknw:

Well By-Tor sleet has already been reported in Edinburgh. And the showery activity has been excellent so far with heavy and regular snow showers travelling a fair bit east. Also showers in this part are wintry already and with cooler uppers then snow should be a certainty. At the moment I would say that temperatures will suit snow and the showers will make it to the east. The question is how much snow will we get as there could be unexpected systems that could bring more significant snowfalls aswell as a potential for accumilations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well By-Tor sleet has already been reported in Edinburgh. And the showery activity has been excellent so far with heavy and regular snow showers travelling a fair bit east. Also showers in this part are wintry already and with cooler uppers then snow should be a certainty. At the moment I would say that temperatures will suit snow and the showers will make it to the east. The question is how much snow will we get as there could be unexpected systems that could bring more significant snowfalls aswell as a potential for accumilations.

Indeed, with convective setups like these it's very tough to predict the nature, intensity and positioning of precipitation, other than in most cases there's more of it around than any model predicts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just looking at the continued flow here - very healthy.

Almost proverbial - yet have the cold in place and snow will follow.

For me a constant streamer effect of ppn with the uppers deciding how wintry things can be.

Edit http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ fast pace Nw flow

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Actually the showers are getting progressively wintry here. I can now distinguish more snowflakes at the lampost now!

Also, here is one of the most essential links for winter:

http:www.raintoday.co.uk/

All the showers this evening have been wintry here. This makes me wonder what's to come with even colder uppers arriving in the coming days.

Are you north or south of the Clyde? That was the point I was making AWT :) :)

Oooooo, latest METAR from Glasgow Airport shows we're getting closer and closer:

METAR EGPF 031950Z 28018KT 9999 -RA FEW020 SCT026 BKN044 05/01 Q0993

Dew point of 1C....not far to go now :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Just looking at the continued flow here - very healthy.

Almost proverbial - yet have the cold in place and snow will follow.

For me a constant streamer effect of ppn with the uppers deciding how wintry things can be.

Edit http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ fast pace Nw flow

Hopefully a Clyde-Forth Streamer may occur in the coming days!!!

Posted

Pretty much snowing here in Livingston now, Lorenzo look out the windae! So very close but still classed as sleet. I'm probably at the highest part of Livi though.

Winter is here... :good:

Drumochter cam

post-26-0-68191200-1322943134_thumb.jpg

Posted

Are you north or south of the Clyde? That was the point I was making AWT :) :)

East Dunbartonshire is north of the Clyde. 200ft above sea level, in the countryside 1 mile north of the Greater Glasgow conurbation and 6 miles north of the city centre. Where you are, you should be getting some wintryness mixed in with the showers quite soon.

Posted

Where are you up the hills ??? !!!!!!

Posted

Pretty much snowing here in Livingston now, Lorenzo look out the windae! So very close but still classed as sleet. I'm probably at the highest part of Livi though.

Winter is here... :good:

Drumochter cam

post-26-0-68191200-1322943134_thumb.jpg

It's now snowing in a lot of places. Glencoe, Wick, Strathspey, Drumochter, Moray... the list goes on! The precipitation in the east should also be wintry too. Edinburgh reported sleet not too long ago.

The shower heading for Livingston was the most wintry here yet! Keep a look out.

Posted

Lamp Post at the ready !

Deviant Lamper that I am..

Am on the look out for LS forecast - whre's the North grades !

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

These showers are having no problem at all getting well inland. I think GFS is way underestimating this, as it shows showers only sticking to the western coast. Hopefully once we have the much colder uppers moving in tonight the showers will start to become wintry across the whole of Scotland! :drinks:

Posted

I wish :D :D Na, up near the mate. It alternates between sleet and very sleety snow when the showers come on.

I don't think I'm actually at 200m after I checked my GPS the other day which was closer to 160m. I'm new to the area so I'll use that as my excuse :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Lamp Post at the ready !

How much does a lamp post cost? I think I need to get one installed. Feel I'm missing out here in the sticks.

EDIT. How about one like this? Or it is too Tumnus the fawn?

Grampian-GP1_lamp_post.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

SNOWMAGEDDON!!!!!! -0.5c and heavy horizontal dry snow falling fast and now settling on all surfaces at 100m asl.Hows that for a grumpy old farmer who never gets excited by snow not half. Bet the cows and calves are glad we took them in last Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Evening all. Temps slowly getting down - sitting at 2.9c here with a dew point of 0.5c. Certainly not as breezy as it was earlier. Just have to wait and see what this cold snap produces here in the east. Exciting model watching at the moment, especially since none of the models appear to have anything quite nailded on( :lol: ) in the short term! When I see the vortex like it is, I keep hoping for another 1984! - Oops, just having a wee sleety shower now! Where's Mondy? Still glued to the naughty step?