Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Forecast - Hot & Dry - Shades Of 1976

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not GP, but QBO data indicates a strengthening -QBO during Autumn and into winter which generally correlates to a wetter Autumn.

Yes I think a wet autumn is a given to be honest. Though this may prove a relief after the summer!

Posted

Mr data heres one for u, what CET do we need to beat June July and August? Thanks I'n advance!

Drew reference to a previous thread above where the answer was

The summer of 1976 was the hottest ever recorded in the UK with a CET of 17.8C. Here's a summary of that summer.

Posted

For anyone interested here is the link for the latest CFS temp anomolys up until November..... http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/images3/euT2mMon.gif

Hints as far as autumn go that there is no firm trend in terms of temperatures; however large cold anomoly building to the east during November with higher than average temperatures over Greenland. Quite similar to what it was showing last year if I remember correctly. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard at this moment probably, but worth keeping an eye on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not far from June now. When can we expect the sunshine to start?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

For anyone interested here is the link for the latest CFS temp anomolys up until November..... http://www.cpc.ncep....s3/euT2mMon.gif

Hints as far as autumn go that there is no firm trend in terms of temperatures; however large cold anomoly building to the east during November with higher than average temperatures over Greenland. Quite similar to what it was showing last year if I remember correctly. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard at this moment probably, but worth keeping an eye on.

I will be following those CFS charts religiously over the next 5 months hoping we will get a stonking winter.

Posted

Not far from June now. When can we expect the sunshine to start?

Thursday June 9th at aproximately 7.58 am, though this may be interrupted by a cumulus congestus at 1.19 pm.

I jest I jest :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Thursday June 9th at aproximately 7.58 am, though this may be interrupted by a cumulus congestus at 1.19 pm.

I jest I jest :p

LOL!

Damn, really was hoping it would start Thursday June 9th at approximately 6.58 am :(

Posted

I don't appreciate drought and dustbowl conditions and I can't see what the benefits are apart from personal gratification for some.

I hope it's wrong and we get plenty of rain - which we're short of already - for the benefit of growers and wildlife.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think this would be better news if a washout May had occurred between spring and summer. I'd much prefer a summer like 1995 with a respectable June, warm but often thundery July, then a drier August. In fact, locally, July 1995 was quite wet with near 20mm on the 10th and 26th as part of thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)

I don't appreciate drought and dustbowl conditions and I can't see what the benefits are apart from personal gratification for some.

I hope it's wrong and we get plenty of rain - which we're short of already - for the benefit of growers and wildlife.

Agreed, but I would still want some sunshine, because any rain comes out as drizzle, I will instantly demand sunshine. But yes, for the farmers sake, we need some rain!

Posted

Not GP, but QBO data indicates a strengthening -QBO during Autumn and into winter which generally correlates to a wetter Autumn.

Thanks SB. :drinks:

Posted

A very interesting and well detailed forecast, a very enjoyable read! Unfortunately though if this forecast verifies it could be very disastrous for the agricultural industry here :( .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Last winters extreme cold didn't do a great deal for growers, wildlife or the economy but didn't stop it being popular with many on here.

Reliably dry conditions will have a great boost to our tourist trade and will certainly make for a thoroughly enjoyable summer where the majority of time can be spent living outdoors.

Certainly it isn't great for some kinds of farming although some crops will flourish if we get a lot of sunshine.

Personally in my garden I prefer it to be mostly dry then I can water things as I want without piles of slugs/snails eating everything or plants getting root rot/mold from being constantly soaked (lost a load of plants to this a few years back).

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

I do see your point about drought, and I sympathise (genuinely) with gardeners and country people, but come on, preferrers of cooler and damper/wetter summers have been able to absolutely fill their boots over large chunks of recent summers -- in many UK areas outside the SE anyway.

Us lovers of sustained sunshine and warmth, have had to take comfort in fairly intermittant respites from more Atlantic driven conditions over large parts of recent summers -- with the exception of late June last year (well timed! :D ) settled HP dominated summers conditions have been hard to find

So it's our turn now. I really hope GP is right .... :whistling: B)

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

then I can water things as I want

Assuming there isn't a hosepipe ban. Could very well be if it turns out as being suggested.

There was a hosepipe ban here just after the summer of 1995, the previous winter was exceptionally wet. Last winter wasn't especially wet so there will be water restriction issues if rainfall is still lacking come August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I use a watering can so no biggy for me! I've only got a small courtyard to water though rather than a massive lawn and such.

Don't some places already have hosepipe bans already? We've just had Severn Trent telling us to save water so far.

Posted

Last winters extreme cold didn't do a great deal for growers, wildlife or the economy but didn't stop it being popular with many on here.

Reliably dry conditions will have a great boost to our tourist trade and will certainly make for a thoroughly enjoyable summer where the majority of time can be spent living outdoors.

Certainly it isn't great for some kinds of farming although some crops will flourish if we get a lot of sunshine.

Personally in my garden I prefer it to be mostly dry then I can water things as I want without piles of slugs/snails eating everything or plants getting root rot/mold from being constantly soaked (lost a load of plants to this a few years back).

Which is why most crops are planted in spring.

Consuming dust.

There was precious little of this going on in 76 when stand-pipes and bowsers were in use due to low mains pressure and garden watering was a criminal offence in many densely populated areas.

That's besides the vast swathes of countryside burnt to a cinder with the devastation of wildlife and danger to local buildings with an overstretched fire brigade without enough water to put the fires out. Outdoor living not quite so enjoyable in those circumstances.

Be careful what you wish for.

Posted

The water restriction are unlikely to reach that level with water resource infrastructure being a lot better than it was in 1976 with more ability to move water around the country.

Around here we're 10% down on usual - so 90% full. Even with no rain for the whole summer we won't be stand pipes - at least around here. Admittedly things further south east look less rosy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Much like i'm sure many of us don't appreciate the havoc and loss of life heavy snow causes in the winter, but we still like it.

I don't think anyone is wishing for a drought, but the weather does what it does and most of us understandably want a hot and relatively dry summer.

The world would be a very boring place if we all wanted mild southwesterlies all year around so that there are no droughts/freeze ups!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The water restriction are unlikely to reach that level with water resource infrastructure being a lot better than it was in 1976 with more ability to move water around the country.

Around here we're 10% down on usual - so 90% full. Even with no rain for the whole summer we won't be stand pipes - at least around here. Admittedly things further south east look less rosy.

Haaa, Youve always got to remember that 1976 brought such drought conditions because the fact that Summer 1975 was also hot and dry!!! :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Which is why most crops are planted in spring.

Consuming dust.

There was precious little of this going on in 76 when stand-pipes and bowsers were in use due to low mains pressure and garden watering was a criminal offence in many densely populated areas.

That's besides the vast swathes of countryside burnt to a cinder with the devastation of wildlife and danger to local buildings with an overstretched fire brigade without enough water to put the fires out. Outdoor living not quite so enjoyable in those circumstances.

Be careful what you wish for.

Does depend on where you live of course, in towns/cites most (not everyone) will revel in this summer (if it materialises) whist people in rural areas may find this summer very testing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Shades and BBQ B) :D at the ready then and oh yes the umbrella just in case :whistling: !!