Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Forecast Continued.

Posted

2011 will never last in the memory for most of us. For this part of the world , Sunshine has been above average, rainfall around average possibly below and temps below average.

I don't mind being in the minority, after all, what is society other than a collection of minorities?

I shall certainly remember summer 2011 as extraordinary, in that one side of the North Sea experienced the conditions you list, while on the other side - it is only 300 nautical miles or so across - there was the wettest summer since records began in 1874. In Gedser there has fallen in excess of 0.5m rain between 1st June 2011 and today.

Posted

Going by Welsh figures on the Meto Office website, this summer is just warmer than those years, much sunnier by around 70hrs on June and July alone, This summer is also much drier than either of those summers barring a real deluge in the past week.

http://www.metoffice.../date/Wales.txt

June and July were notably average sunshine wise across Wales and after a fairly dull start, August sunshine levels are recovering in the past week.

However the lack of hot weather is the major negative mark.

Yes, while not a classic by any means, this summer hasn't been too bad here. If it had come straight after 2006 it would probably have been disappointing, but after 2007 - 2009 it seemed pleasant enough with enough temporary ridges building in after the lows to give a variety of weather and with some sunshine too (though August feels a little disappointing in that respect - not sure if figures agree). It's been good to finally have a July which wasn't a complete washout, too.

I'd still rate last summer over this one, simply because last June was fantastic here even though last July and August were very disappointing. I'd rather have one great month than three average ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Yes pretty average, better than some of the recent washouts. We could never establish blocking HP over Europe this Summer and as a result there were frequent very warm days or even hot in the SE that were very transient in nature as unsettled conditions rolled back in from the Atlantic.

Hot days in the south east in August but i would say that heat was seriously lacking in July with the parts of SE and East Anglia being more than 1c below average. In July it was a case of freqnent HP over the UK but in the wrong position to deliver any decent warmth. At best it was average temperatures for the midlands and wales with a cool northerly often affecting the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In the North East it was a summer characterised by homogeneity with temperatures persistently within a couple of degrees of the long-term average. Only 11 days got above 21C here at Cleadon, which is pretty unusual even for here. In addition, only one day exceeded 24C (the 26th June with 26.9C) although in fairness 2007 didn't reach 24C at all. In spite of this, the lowest maximum during July was 16.1C which was the highest "lowest maximum" for July since 2006.

Posted
Another -ve NAO summer month, the last +ve NAO summer month was July 2006. There have been only 3 +ve NAO Augusts since and including 1998.

Interesting run of -NAO summers,maybe another -NAO winter I feel another cold one coming.

Can`t understand on countryfile weather still said the coolest summer since 1993(maybe it`s recorded just before the final figure was released)when now it`s the coolest since 1988.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I feel that down in Surrey its been a warm summer generally, must be a local climate for some as its certaintly not the coldest since 93 or 88 here! i think in general across all areas put together then most have had a cool summer and this shows in the North just by the posts on the forums!

Posted

For southern England;

June 14.3c - 0.3c below

July 15.5c - 1.3c below

August 15.9c 0.6c below average

Summer 15.2c

1993 averaged 15.1c

1988 14.8c

1993 and 1988 were cooler. You're right.

For Northern Ireland it was the coolest since 1986

2011 12.9

1993 13.0

1988 13.3

1987 13.1

1986 12.7

Edited by Optimus Prime

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

For me today was a summerlike day no matter what people say about it being Autumn, today felt more summery than 80% of the days in July/August which were always breezy, mostly cloudy and didn't ever try to get above 20C enough whist today was Sunny warmish and with a calm wind you could really enjoy it, Summer never really arrived it just turns up during spells like these.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Is Glacier Point giving us an analysis of this forecast?

Posted

Is Glacier Point giving us an analysis of this forecast?

GP hasn't been around for months. I hope he makes an appearance soon as I would like to know his thoughts on the rest of the Autumn/early Winter.