48 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this July?

• Best since 2006 by a mile
    • Slightly better than the last 4
    • disapointing enough to make 5 poor julys in a row
    • As bad or even worse than the last 4
    • The worst July you can remember

Posted

Assuming the last 3 days of July will be decent, but nothing outstanding, how has July rated in your area?

For me, its the best since 2006, as theres been average rainfall, below average days of rain, average temperatures and above average sunshine, whereas the last 4 here were all pretty terrible.

Obviously perceptions of the last 4 julys will also vary with location.

Edited by rjd1000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Slightly better.

Above average sunshine. Average temperatures. Below average rainfall.

Posted

Generally none descript and bland sums it up here, there's been a few nice days (Sunday in particular was GLORIOUS!) but a lot of cloudy nothingness days just like last July.

Last week in particular was very cool and grim with no sunshine in the 9am - 5pm period for 6 days.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I voted for "slightly better than the last 4". Up in Tyne and Wear I found the first half very enjoyable, a dry sunny start to the month, then a mix of sun and frequent thundery showers in the second week (unusually thundery for this part of the country) but the second half has disappointed. Overall though a slight improvement on July 2009 in my book, which I found the most enjoyable out of 2007-10 (mainly because of its frequent thundery outbreaks early to mid month, but then a disappointing second half with a train of Atlantic systems).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its hard to rank this july alongside the other ones as it has disappointed in terms of temperature rather than rainfall. However it certainly hasnt been the worst (2007 and 2009) both were pretty bad. But it falls way short of 2010 which was a very warm month in these parts. Its been quite comparable to July 2008 nationally in a way that we've seen a lengthy cool period punctuated by a couple of warmer spells, and now a more lengthy warm settled spell at the end.

With a mean temperature that is likely to come in about 1C below average here that automatically puts it in the poor category but its saved from being very poor as its been quite dry still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Not awful, but not good really either. Last year was a good July but this year was worse

Posted

Slightly better than the last four. Rainfall is running above average thanks to the soakfest of the 17th/18th, but the rest of the month has been rather dry and there has been plenty of sunshine on offer (it really makes a difference in perception). However, daytime temperatures have struggled for much of the month and there has been little in the way of high temperatures. I'll see what the remaining three days can produce I suppose.

Not quite poor, but hardly memorable.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

It's the coolest since 2007 here, and also wet as the last 4 have been thanks to a dreadful 3 inch soaker mid month. Not as cloudy as last year, but not as warm either. No warm spells as 2008, 2009 and 2010 all achieved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I am unable to vote in this poll as it starts with the premise that warm and sunny is good and cool and wet is bad, which of course is the exact opposite of my point of view.

Having said that I would rate this July as disappointing. It's been a bit cooler than average but nowhere near cool enough and, at least in my area, it's been dry.

I was gutted to have missed out by about 15 miles on the deluge which EaasmanG would have given his right arm to have avoided and, to add insult to injury, this area also missed the heavy thundery downpours which affected the far east of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire towards the end of the first week.

I look forward to some tremendous thundery deluges in August to try and bring the annual rainfall total to within spitting distance of average.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

IMO locally has seen the July by a mile since 2006, as each other July has been dreadful. There have been a lot of dry and mostly sunny days, the rain that has fallen has been fairly short in duration, and largely has fallen in the morning, but some has been heavy so overall rainfall should be around or slightly above average. Sunshine has been above average, although less so that the first half of the month. Temps may be below average, but much of this has been overnight, and there have been many warm weather days.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

IMO locally has seen the July by a mile since 2006, as each other July has been dreadful. There have been a lot of dry and mostly sunny days, the rain that has fallen has been fairly short in duration, and largely has fallen in the morning, but some has been heavy so overall rainfall should be around or slightly above average. Sunshine has been above average, although less so that the first half of the month. Temps may be below average, but much of this has been overnight, and there have been many warm weather days.

Agreed, we have done well out west. Average temperatures and rainfall here, so better then recent July's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Best July since 2006 here. We started off well, dipped last week and were ending on excellent weather. No amazing heat but many pleasant days and just one or two poor days. Like previous months, there have been good sunny spells and not the constant dull cloud previous years have seen although at times it was a tiny bit repetitive. There has been a good mix for all with dry spells, warm/very warm temperatures, some rain for the gardens and BBQ opportunities.

Its not been a perfect month by any means but where 2007 was floods, 2010 was Dull etc im quite happy with this summer thus far. June was quite good here too and so far rate the summer a 7/10. :)

As tony said above, we have done well here towards the West. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Temperature wise, this July is slightly down on last July as at least it FELT summery for most of last July.

As for everything else, this July is better than the last 4. There seems to have been a balance between dry and warm/very warm and cool/cold and wet - neither lasting for too long. The first 5 days were lovely and warm, especially the 2nd-4th. Then a fantastic spell of tropical downpours, including thunder on the 8th. Then some average summer days between 9th-14th. I then went on holiday while a large chunk of the month's rain fell between 15th-22nd. Then my birthday (23rd) has started a trend towards much drier weather. This week has been glorious with perfect temperatures by day (between 23-26C) and NO WIND! - a big difference. There has been so much wind this year.

Of course, my opinion may be slightly different if I lived in the east...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Due to the decent days early in the month and the odd day this end of the month I've said 'slightly better than the last 4'. It's been mostly dry so beats some recent Julys but still far too much cloud & not really warm enough.

Briefly looking at my stats the last few Julys (I'm excluding the awful 2007 one from this)...

- This one is the driest

- It is the coolest on average overall.

- It has the 2nd highest average maximum (after 2010) temperature

- It has lowest average minimum temperature

So this one has been drier and generally clearer with higher maxima and lower minima than recent Julys. So I'd say this has been somewhat better than 2008-2010 (2010 being a swift second) but miles better than 2007 but not a patch on 2006.

The nasty easterly winds have ruined this month but of course have helped to keep it very dry overall.

Be nice to see August buck the trend and be something 'different' - preferably in the hot & sunny direction as it's a long time since we've had such an August!

Posted

It's hard for me to put this one into a category really, up to 4 days ago it had been quite poor overall (mainly due to temperature) although with a couple settled spells at the beginning and average maxima in those spells.

the month is cool overall with a couple very cool days that were dull and damp all day, which is what much of the rain has been like this month, lasting much of the day but not a lot actually falling, meaning it's a below average total here

I was away from the 11th-14th during the 2nd more settled spell so not sure exactly how it went here.

The last 4 days have been rather nice overall and have helped the month recover a bit, Overall I'm not really sure at the moment and will wait until the end of the month. I wouldn't say 'slightly better than the last 4' as I think last July may just top it here, but not worse than the last 4 either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

The worst July I can remember in Essex, last year was v good, 09 was ok with lots of sunshine and it was warm despite the showers. 08 had a warm spell at the back end of the month and 07 was rather similar but had warmer days. Most days recentky have been cloudy cool with some showers just pretty awful saying that most days have reached 20c but it is below avg for these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here in Edmonton Alberta it has been very wet and cool..which has followed a very wet and cool June..shaping up to be one of the wettest and coldest summers on record..looking to August to save the day!

Posted

I vote slightly better than the last four, but only because the last four were shockers in the Lake District in terms of consistently cool and wet even very wet conditions. The most notable aspect of this month has been much less rain the last four. Temps though have been cooler than the last four, especially at night - I've not once had to keep the windows open all night this month.

So not a bad July in the main but dissapointing on the temperature front.

The last 7 days though have been very good thanks to no rain and lots of sunshine making it feel warm even though temps have been no higher than 23 degrees at best - its been the best spell of the summer so far, and I suspect it won't be bettered - so I am certainly going to make the most of tomorrow, before the more unsettled conditions set in again.

Edited by damianslaw

I voted for best July by a mile since 2006. I think this month will be the warmest month since July 2006, it should comfortably beat June last year.

I will need to check but I think this month will also make it into the top twenty warmest months in the last 50 years. If not that then certainly top thirty.

Posted

I voted for best July by a mile since 2006. I think this month will be the warmest month since July 2006, it should comfortably beat June last year.

I will need to check but I think this month will also make it into the top twenty warmest months in the last 50 years. If not that then certainly top thirty.

I'm very surprised to hear you say this July in your part of the world will be one of the top twenty warmest of the last 50 years. We have had some notably cool minima and I would have thought you have had aswell. This month has been preety unexceptional here. However, I have noticed in the last week Glasgow has regularly hit 70f which is preety good going - it has been in a well favoured spot for sunshine and warmth lately. Unlike recent summer months there has been less of a NW/SE split this July both in terms of rainfall and sunshine levels but also in terms of temps apart from nightime minima, indeed eastern parts of england and scotland have spared slightly worse than western parts in terms of maxima thanks to more cloud and cool north/north east winds.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Maxima in this part of the west haven't been that great. I've not long come out of a ten-day 20C drought (not as bad as late July/early August last year, but still disappointing).

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I would have rated it as average but no option to vote for that