Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Fairly blustery out there now where i am. I'm fairly exposed but not very, i'm in village of about 5000people 10miles south of Leicester city. I'm one of the last few houses to the very south of the village where the wind is coming from, with flat fields behind me.

I'm using this site http://www.stormtrack.co.uk/ an amateur weather station just a bit north of the other side of leicester. No doubt the person running it is a member on this website, Hi ! biggrin.png

23mph gust highest today so far according to that, from just 10 minutes ago. Good stuff smile.png Though way off MetO's 33mph for this time. MetO seems to be thinking the wind is stronger than it actually is at the moment, at least where i live.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

its blowy out.. refreshing some bins falling over but yeah, wont get much more windier hear, is nice, not humid hot and hot? hope all is well up north 2mor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Wales currently has the highest winds.

Almost 40mph sustained on Anglesey. Really doesn't surprise me, that island is known for it's high winds.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Updates on the synoptics, some current confusion I think about placement of the low putting it where the Jetstreak is to the North. The actual ex-Katia system is still undergoing RACY at this time, injesting dry air at this time and limiting surface features on IR due to the cooler cloud tops.

post-8763-0-68246100-1315791379_thumb.jp

Posted

Updates on the synoptics, some current confusion I think about placement of the low putting it where the Jetstreak is to the North. The actual ex-Katia system is still undergoing RACY at this time, injesting dry air at this time and limiting surface features on IR due to the cooler cloud tops.

post-8763-0-68246100-1315791379_thumb.jp

The centre of the storm looks a lot more south than the forecast models were predicting for around this time

Posted

It all depends now on how long the jetstreak to the North moves out, too slow and ex-Katia takes a more southerly track, too fast and it'll be ahead of the model runs. To my eye at least it does look closer to Ireland than what was expected for this time, but give it another 3 hours to see how much of a Easterly component it keeps.

One thing for sure however, there are some serious gusts embedded within the RACY trying to form within the system, the cloud heights being sheared off however by the drier air injestion and upper 850mb (4000ft) winds. The 'rash' is where the winds for today are embedded within.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/eumet/neatl/rb-l.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

GFS - 18z - 3am and xc weather live data at 2.30am!

musts say the wind here is different, getting gusty and prolonged, not how i was expecting it to be right now! MetO shows the gusty winds so it is right, its how progressive the gusts are like building up a bit more each time and long gusts! -theres something about this storm and i think a sudden southerly track(or at least keeping eastwards)

post-11361-0-17107000-1315792863_thumb.g

post-11361-0-15001700-1315792863_thumb.p

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

GFS - 18z - 3am and xc weather live data at 2.30am!

musts say the wind here is different, getting gusty and prolonged, not how i was expecting it to be right now! MetO shows the gusty winds so it is right, its how progressive the gusts are like building up a bit more each time and long gusts! -theres something about this storm and i think a sudden southerly track..

post-11361-0-17107000-1315792863_thumb.g

How far south do you think this storm will go?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

im sure its south from the GFS prediction? if this is the case and a more east progression rather then ne expect damaging winds across all of England to..

watching and keeping track its the only way to do it now

Posted

im sure its south from the GFS prediction? if this is the case and a more east progression rather then ne expect damaging winds across all of England to..

watching and keeping track its the only way to do it now

Latest ir sat image looks to me as though its barely moved north and continues to move ENE i would say

Posted

an example of the warm front effect! London higher temperature than late evening.

post-11361-0-04479600-1315793634_thumb.p just going to check the predicted temps to see if its higher than normal!

11091203_1118.gifits right.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

an example of the warm front effect! London higher temperature than late evening.

post-11361-0-04479600-1315793634_thumb.p just going to check the predicted temps to see if its higher than normal!

I live in Folkestone on the south east coast around 60 miles from London and the temp here at the moment is 16.9 and has stayed that way for a few hours now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Just got woken up by the wind - pretty rough out there - just recorded a gust of 57mph. Right off back to sleep until the next roaring gust wakes me up!! Stay stafe...

Posted

Using this great sat animation you can clearly see the storm is progressing in a much more ENE direction than the NEly direction that was expected, what this means in terms of wind speeds i don't know but maybe a more educated member could point me in the right direction.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

it means the southern flank of the low would have the strongest winds more widespread and further south, keeping track of the centers pressure core to!

Posted

Im not sure if im the only one seeing this, but there seems to be, as it approaches ireland, a "flick" to the northeast?

Posted

i do get the feeling that there " is something about this storm " that will be unexpected . not to mention it will hit during daytime hours . trees in full leaf . anyone know if this is heading in a more southerly direction ? any sat pics to view apart from bbc . can anyone sense something nasty coming ?

Posted

Im not sure if im the only one seeing this, but there seems to be, as it approaches ireland, a "flick" to the northeast?

Are you able to do a screenshot and circle what you see?

i do get the feeling that there " is something about this storm " that will be unexpected . not to mention it will hit during daytime hours . trees in full leaf . anyone know if this is heading in a more southerly direction ? any sat pics to view apart from bbc . can anyone sense something nasty coming ?

Yes i know exactly what you mean, im getting that feeling too, as for different sat images try this website if you haven't before

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

heres a recent sat, i run a few of them and it appears some convection is forming hook? but this means a rapid intensifying of the storm

im starting to think of an upgrade on the GFS 00z..

post-11361-0-37035400-1315795642_thumb.p

Posted

i am not advertising but psychic work is my living . i do sense something quite dangerous with this storm . unfortunately it will probably mean the loss of life too . that is to be expected with this type of weather yes .... but i just get an uneasy feeling tonight ..... maybe i am wrong .... can it track south suddenly across the uk .....

Posted
http://www.eots.co.uk/reports/bomb/bomb01.htm - about wind storms and how they can get more intense suddenly