Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

Well Wales may bot bare the brunt of this storm, but if you look at the current met office observations it is by far the windiest place currently http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/observations/

Winds gusting at an average 45mph here atm, which is nothing we're not used to on the Brecon Beacons, but I think the windspeeds for the Western and Southern Coasts of Wales have been hugely underestimated.

Posted

Yes I agree. At the moment there will be a fairly narrow zone that is likely to see the strongest gusts, probably between 70-80mph. The cities within this zone are Glasgow, Edinburgh, N parts of N Ireland, and possibly as far S as Newcastle, Carlisle. Now locations such as Leeds, Blackpool could see gusts around 50-60mph. The Midlands, E Anglia, Wales around 30-40mph.

Yes I would be inclinded to agree with that in principal however, I do believe 70 MPH gust will be seen quite widely as far south as Wrexham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

2300hrs(UTC)

(large image)

post-11361-0-64784300-1315785065_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Sounds like your pressure reading is out like mine.

The only place in the UK above 1010mb is the far South.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Aye think you could be right. According to the link you provided the pressure should be 996mb going off my postcode. Nearest weather station to mine is in Leyland about 4 miles away and the pressure reading from that station is 992.9mb. However Blackpool and Crosby weather stations are both showing a pressure of 997.97mb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Think the storm is getting its act together a little bit on the last few frames from Sat24.

http://www.ndbc.noaa...5&unit=M&tz=STN

The plot shows the pressure drop well..

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/plot_wind_pres.php?station=62095&uom=M&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

Posted

Ah just found the old 999 series on the '87 storm. Something to reminisce over.

loved watching that again! thanx xx reminds me how devastating this all can be :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

Well Wales may bot bare the brunt of this storm, but if you look at the current met office observations it is by far the windiest place currently http://www.metoffice...k/observations/

Winds gusting at an average 45mph here atm, which is nothing we're not used to on the Brecon Beacons, but I think the windspeeds for the Western and Southern Coasts of Wales have been hugely underestimated.

we are already losing trees on our farm, 2 possibly 3 that I have seen when checking the animals. Very windy here, but no idea of wind speed sorry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Not much faith in the MetO predicted Gust speeds for my area. They're predicting a maximum of 55mph for Leicester, East Midlands later today. However, they are currently saying there are wind gusts of 28mph, when in actual fact a local weather station is reporting just half that, about 15mph less.

Using the same rule (-15mph off predicted) for the predicted maximum gives a more reasonable estimate of 40mph, which to me seems more likely.

Posted

ESTOFEX discussion

Ex-hurricane Katia races eastwards and affects parts of NW-Europe during the forecast. 300 hPa temperatures well above -30°C ! and cyclone phase diagrams indicating some type of shallow warm core structure, so Katia will be an high-energetic/increasingly baroclinic depression. Further extratropical transformation expected but right now there are no hints on any enhanced thunderstorm activity with Katia. Very strong wind field is expected to affect Scotland/parts of UK. Please refer to the UK Met Office at www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather for further informations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

i really dont want to go to bed but i have got to get my boys to school 2morro morning so nighty night all and stay safe xx

Yep got the school run to do also. Night folks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

is there not an eye? closer look at sats indicate a small center of clear! very few miles wide but im sure its an eye.

post-11361-0-29409900-1315786365_thumb.p

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

Latest sat image shows what looks like a 'jet sting', this area is a sign of very sudden and severe storm cyclogenisis, would bring extremely damaging winds.

Lucky for us it's happened out over the open sea, otherwise we'd have had another 1987.

you can see what i mean by the tiny little 'hook' that has appeared near the eye.

Posted

Winds increasingly getting alot stronger here.

Posted

I really don't understand this, it's been really quite windy all day today but for the past few hours it's almost been deadly calm with a real silence outside, the tops of the trees are barely moving, any idea why technical weather wise? I know it's supposed to be at it's worst tomorrow afternoon but I wasn't expecting it to get so calm first.

Edited by Carlisle2568

Posted

No doubt the wind is here now, thought what sounded like a passenger jet going over. Only it abruptly stopped and I've heard that kind of noise many times, being sheltered somewhat by the hillside facing West. Yet around the 'bowl' shaped valley you can literally see it being funnelled through over the Sponds Hill gap.

Posted

Starting to get blustery now, probably more than other areas around here as it is quite an exposed area

Posted

I really don't understand this, it's been really quite windy all day today but for the past few hours it's almost been deadly calm with a real silence outside, the tops of the trees are barely moving, any idea why technical weather wise? I know it's supposed to be at it's worst tomorrow afternoon but I wasn't expecting it to get so calm first.

its called the calm before the storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

After a spell of moderate rain witch I take it was the warm front, the wind has started to pick up, especially in the last few minutes.

Posted

just editing-took of animation

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm