Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

Looking at the jet stream, I would still say that the models haven't got the track right. The jet stream would force that storm another 50 miles Southwards of what is currently modelled. I think also that it's still being underestimated by the GFS.

I was actually thinking that to myself also this evening, I still believe the eventual track will be further south than is currently being anticipated by either the GFS or FAX Models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Raining moderately here. Pressure has started to fall. Currenly 1010.5hpa. I haven't really noticed the wind picking up as of yet.

Sounds like your pressure reading is out like mine.

The only place in the UK above 1010mb is the far South.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

Andy I am also in Jarrow, I set up my weather station this week so will hopefully get some accurate wind speeds from it. (If you have your own then ignore me smile.png )

naa i don't have one haha, i mainly just come on here in the winter but can't resist checking in for a hurricane! or a post tropical cyclone if you wanna call it that.

hopefully you can get some good feedback for our area, it's good to have someone here from jarrow :)

Posted

but with trees in full leaf

Seems some are forgetting this.

Some silly comments this evening especially suggesting this is boring compared to 1987 storm. Let me tell you a 70mph gust is much more likely to blow down a tree in full leaf compared to a 90mph gust when the trees have shed their leaves. Pretty obvious really when you think about it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

For me, the storm of 1990 was pretty harsh, my sisters window was blown off its hinges and got blown clean off the roof, those winds were in excess of 80mph.

Then in 2007, even worse, shops damaged, trees blown down (and not just one or two), and a whole building side collapsed because of the wind- that was in 2007

Posted

I was actually thinking that to myself also this evening, I still believe the eventual track will be further south than is currently being anticipated by either the GFS or FAX Models.

I don't think it will be that much. Say 40-50 miles further South.

Certainly won't end up in Cornwall I know that for sure. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

I don't think it will be that much. Say 40-50 miles further South.

Certainly won't end up in Cornwall I know that for sure. rofl.gif

ex katia would certainly need a new satnav if that was the case laugh.png

Posted

If the NAE was to be correct then for the south east coast how high could any gusts be tomorrow??

30mph maybe? Not sure to be honest.

Posted

Again folks, due to the RACY pressure differential, keep a eastern facing window slightly open tonight. From a Hurricane journal but applies to any system with a lower differated pressure intensity than inside a structured home.

During a hurricane, the atmospheric pressures inside and outside the home can vary greatly. Since nature wants all pressures to be equal, if a large window is impacted and the entire piece of glass is removed from the opening, a very rapid pressure equalization can occur which can cause major structural damage to the building envelope, sometimes to the point of failure.

Posted

ex katia would certainly need a new satnav if that was the case laugh.png

ROFL!

Aye, the old Tom Tom must be on the brink!

Posted

Local weather station at Hilbre island, Wirral showing a South Easterly, would this put it further south than expected?

We should be getting a S. Westerly

http://coastobs.pol.ac.uk/cobs/met/hilbre/

Edited by johnwirral

Posted

naa i don't have one haha, i mainly just come on here in the winter but can't resist checking in for a hurricane! or a post tropical cyclone if you wanna call it that.

hopefully you can get some good feedback for our area, it's good to have someone here from jarrow smile.png

There was an article in the Sunday Sun about me today to do with the weather station etc, but I don't think anybody else is interested in the weather up here, unless its going to effect the football lol, so it's good to see other north easterners on here, there are quite a few of us about aren't there

ROFL!

Aye, the old Tom Tom must be on the brink!

Typically a woman driver aswell........haha

Posted

Katia, please make a legal u-turn when possible

Keep going for... 2....2 miles and turn right onto the M64....

Anyway storm fans, I'm off to bed. Stay safe!

Posted

For me, the storm of 1990 was pretty harsh, my sisters window was blown off its hinges and got blown clean off the roof, those winds were in excess of 80mph.

Then in 2007, even worse, shops damaged, trees blown down (and not just one or two), and a whole building side collapsed because of the wind- that was in 2007

Ah, but you weren't living in the SE during the '87 storm so they may as well have never happened. whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Typically a woman driver aswell........haha

The old gal will be used to left-hand drive let's give her some slack.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Rockall

Violent storm force 11 imminent.

No hype just shipping forecast fact.

Posted

The old gal will be used to left-hand drive let's give her some slack.

Haha that really made me laugh! My husband thinks im a lunatic sat here laughing at the laptop biggrin.png

Posted

I'd still put my money on the central belt and far North of England being worse affected, purely down to the eventual track of the storm being over Northern Scotland.

Yes I agree. At the moment there will be a fairly narrow zone that is likely to see the strongest gusts, probably between 70-80mph. The cities within this zone are Glasgow, Edinburgh, N parts of N Ireland, and possibly as far S as Newcastle, Carlisle. Now locations such as Leeds, Blackpool could see gusts around 50-60mph. The Midlands, E Anglia, Wales around 30-40mph.

Posted

There was an article in the Sunday Sun about me today to do with the weather station etc, but I don't think anybody else is interested in the weather up here, unless its going to effect the football lol, so it's good to see other north easterners on here, there are quite a few of us about aren't there

really ohmy.png yeah i was suprised at how many there are like! it's a good hobby to have, and i've learnt so much from this website which really helped me in my geography a level! i probably would have thought we were doomed tomorrow by the sounds of the headlines if i hadn't gained such a better understanding of our climate blum.gif but then again you never know LOL it could be going to be quite a rare event.

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Ah, but you weren't living in the SE during the '87 storm so they may as well have never happened. whistling.gif

True true, I should have realised that acute.gif

As for the storm, I don't think it'll end up significantly south of where it is currently forecast to go. I think it's certain it'll pass through NW Scotland, giving southern Scotland and far northern England the worst winds.

John, I would suggest Hilbre has turned southeast, because the warm front is moving over, rather than it being further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Haha that really made me laugh! My husband thinks im a lunatic sat here laughing at the laptop biggrin.png

Haha Liz invite him to join in the hilarity :p....Sometimes I think the forum should have a time lock as the conversation does tend to go a bit silly sometimes :D....in saying that that's usually only when I'm here...funny coincidence that