Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2012 UK Drought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Currently 330mm of rain so far for 2011. September delivered a poor 25mm and October looks like being very very dry. Good chance of ending up below 400mm at this rate especially if October is very dry.

Posted

Yes, agreed. From memory, my last 12 month readings as against average are:

Oct 2010 - average

Nov - dry

Dec - dry

Jan - wet

Feb- dry

March - amazingly dry

April - ditto

May - very dry

June - average

July - dry

Aug - average

Sept - very dry

'very dry' being under 20ml. I think we've had no more than something like 280 mm so far this year, but we are a dry part of the country.

So of the last 12 months only one was wetter than average, January, and that was nothing of note being something like 20% above average I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Currently 330mm of rain so far for 2011. September delivered a poor 25mm and October looks like being very very dry. Good chance of ending up below 400mm at this rate especially if October is very dry.

Similar here. Even if November and December deliver average rainfall, there is no chance in hell I will exceed 500 mm's.. it's going to take A LOT of rain to make up for this year.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I would still be surprised if it is the driest year of the past 145 in Coventry (and the other rain starved parts of the Midlands/East, as it would take just one month of the remaining 3 (although admittedly October looks likely to be below average), to be wet, say with about 75mm, to prevent this. 443mm to beat in Coventry, with 314mm to date.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Friday is looking like a shocker day for my neck of the woods, looks a washout, probably paying for the warm sunny weather of early 0ct

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Friday is looking like a shocker day for my neck of the woods, looks a washout, probably paying for the warm sunny weather of early 0ct

I very much doubt it'll be a washout. Probably a few showers during the morning with a fresh NW wind but the showers should die out during the afternoon as high pressure begins to build in from the south west and the wind decreases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I very much doubt it'll be a washout. Probably a few showers during the morning with a fresh NW wind but the showers should die out during the afternoon as high pressure begins to build in from the south west and the wind decreases.

Indeed, I cant see anything remotely near washout conditions. A couple of showers at most.

I dread to think what Snow? Norfolk N Chance calls a proper washout? The end of the world? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Total rainfall to the end of September here is 557.9mm, the third lowest amount for the first 9 months in the last 35 years; only 1991 and 1996 were drier.

If October comes in with less than 60 mm it will be the driest first 10 months of a year in 35 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I hope not, but for Staffordshire the wettest setup is generally when low pressure in charge, then high moves in from the SW, non stop stream of showers from cheshire gap

Posted

I hope not, but for Staffordshire the wettest setup is generally when low pressure in charge, then high moves in from the SW, non stop stream of showers from cheshire gap

A very valid point and one which makes it important for everyone to realise that some members know their own local climate very well even if the general forecast suggests differently - similar can happen in my area on a WNW wind with HIGH pressure building as showers stream in off the Bristol Channel.

Posted

Quite a few people running out of water now in Shropshire/Herefordshire, including those with boreholes. All getting a bit nail biting now for those with no access to mains water, and we are truly doing our rain dances!

Posted

Here's a article from the enviroment agency....I think they are missing a few counties there, especially Warwickshire..

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/Drought_management_briefing_29Sept2011.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I bet many parts of Lincs have been relieved of their drought stress after their frequent torrential thunderstorms in the summer.. localised of course.

Posted

I bet many parts of Lincs have been relieved of their drought stress after their frequent torrential thunderstorms in the summer.. localised of course.

Thunderstorms generally do little good. An hour of torrential rain will largely run off and quickly evaporate, whereas a good 6 hour steady rain would

gradually soak into the ground.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The active cold front isnt bringing much rainfall here just 1.8mm so far may get a little more later as there's a second wave. However I'd be surprised to get 3 mm by tomorrow morning.

Posted

Things are looking very parshed again around here. We haven't had any rain for well over 2 weeks and prior to this we have only averaged around an inch each month since May. I was really hoping for some rain tonight but that band that is approaching is very fragmented, hopefully we will see some frequent showers tomorrow.

Posted

All the rain going around us or fizzling before it gets here — just squeezing 10mm so far this month. Even last year when it was dry we ended up with about 45 mm, but not looking good for October 2011 so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Apart from some rain last week followed by some light-moderate showers on Thursday and Friday, been reasonably dry here. Although having said that, the grass has been a bit on the damp side. The beginning of October particularly has been rather dry here thanks to the ridging of that High-Pressure to the East bringing in those rather dry, warm/hot conditions which made you feel as though Summer returned.

Posted

Just been looking at the latest rainfall figures and since August 27th my location has only recorded 28mm. Only 8mm has fallen so far this month. At this rate we're going to struggle to reach 300mm for the entire year!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just been looking at the latest rainfall figures and since August 27th my location has only recorded 28mm. Only 8mm has fallen so far this month. At this rate we're going to struggle to reach 300mm for the entire year!

Yes it`s been pretty dry here too Dave for much of the year.

Nearby Coventry stats show Sept.contuined the dry story

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/

(click on link for last season and month`s stats.)

However next week looks much more unsettled and i think we will all get some much needed rain,although i wouldn`t be suprised if the lion`s share falls to the North and West again once the main fronts pass through.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rukm1441.gif

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

As posted on a previous page:

I would still be surprised if it is the driest year of the past 145 in Coventry (and the other rain starved parts of the Midlands/East, as it would take just one month of the remaining 3 (although admittedly October looks likely to be below average), to be wet, say with about 75mm, to prevent this. 443mm to beat in Coventry, with 314mm to date.

Heading for one of the driest, if not the driest. Even 500mm would be an exceptionally low annual total, and that may well be out of reach. Only 13mm so far this month at Bablake, so still only on 327mm.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the last four days have brought a rather impressive 20.4 mm of rain. Impressive because it's most of has been drizzle. Total for the month 35.8 mm 47.3% Could be the wettest month since Feb yet still end up below normal.