Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2012 UK Drought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

West Midlands and other Eastern regions l;ooking dry yet again next week. A little rain but nothing at all notable with a strong wind quickly drying things up. About 340mm for the year so far here. Still a chance of less than 400mm this year though that risk is probably low. I highly doubt any more than 450-500mm though.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It would only take one very wet month of 100mm though, or for November and December to both have average rainfall.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Isn't a classification of a desert (rainfall under 300mm? And semi-arid under 500mm??)

Posted

No its more complicated than going just by annual rainfall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-arid_climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Semi Arid is under 300 mm I believe..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It would only take one very wet month of 100mm though, or for November and December to both have average rainfall.

Very true indeed. However like Cyclonic Happiness has mentioned literally many fronts weaken and breaks up as it hits the Midlands nowadays with few pockets of heavy rain and I feel this wont change yet. The Lows shown for now look like staying out West drawing up a warm, southerly flow hence little rain crossing into Central and Eastern zones.

Posted

This just goes to show how stupidly dry we are in some parts, whilst the rest of the country moans about a wet summer/autumn??!!!

rainanomsept2011.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

This just goes to show how stupidly dry we are in some parts, whilst the rest of the country moans about a wet summer/autumn??!!!

rainanomsept2011.gif

Yes we be tired of people saying in threads how much some of you desperately want or need the rain. WEVE HAD ENOUGH I THANK YOU!. And besides, if anyone needs it, it's those poor Africans do!. acute.gif

Posted

Yes we be tired of people saying in threads how much some of you desperately want or need the rain. WEVE HAD ENOUGH I THANK YOU!. And besides, if anyone needs it, it's those poor Africans do!. acute.gif

Erm, Oldham's not in the Midlands or East Anglia???

*points to thread title*

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

But it isn't just the Midlands and East Anglia with a lack of rain.. I suspect a bit of IMBY-ism

Posted

But it isn't just the Midlands and East Anglia with a lack of rain.. I suspect a bit of IMBY-ism

There's a lack of rain, then there is drought.

We have several plants and bushes dead in our garden because I won't water established shrubs and our local river has dried up.

I've been watching the bands of rain over the last few months and 99% have missed our region.

Why are you pointing out that we are going on about a lack of rain in our backyard in a thread labeled 'Midland and east anglian drought'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes looking at the stats on one of the Leeds weather stations you have a valid point Aaron.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ILEEDSAD2&day=22&year=2011&month=10&graphspan=year

Only 265mm so far this year in your locality.

Maybe the OP should have called the thread "The Central and Eastern England Drought".

The map CH uploaded in Post 132 underlines the point.

Posted

There's a lack of rain, then there is drought.

We have several plants and bushes dead in our garden because I won't water established shrubs and our local river has dried up.

I've been watching the bands of rain over the last few months and 99% have missed our region.

Why are you pointing out that we are going on about a lack of rain in our backyard in a thread labeled 'Midland and east anglian drought'?

I'm pointing out that it isn't only the Midlands and EA that have a lack of rainfall in 2011, maybe this should have been called something else? Or should people in the South East for example discuss their problems on a nonexistent thread..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

If I'm able to alter the title of this thread then I shall happily do so?

Does anyone know how to do it, or do I have to ask a mod'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

If I'm able to alter the title of this thread then I shall happily do so?

Does anyone know how to do it, or do I have to ask a mod'?

Think you might have to ask a mod to modify the title. If I remember, when you first create a topic, the option to edit it is available, but I think once the thread has been up a while, the option to edit it is no longer available.

Still been fairly dry here, apart from the rain squall last week, plus one or two odd showers.

Posted

Well looks like tommorows front is keeping its heavy downpours west of us as usual with just the odd bit of drizzle probably tommorow night then a dry week again, drought goes on.

Posted

Grass starting to get browner ... Just 15 mm so far in October.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A rather soggy 45.8 mm so far here but still well below normal. All eyes on tonight's rain which should pass to the east of us. Miss that and according to the GFS should be dry right to the end of the month here.

Posted

Such a shame to be seeing all that rain just to our west *sighs*

Well if this is a means to an ends, then FI this morning is the 'ends', the synoptics look almost identical to last november.........sadly we all know how dry the winter was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A rather soggy 45.8 mm so far here but still well below normal. All eyes on tonight's rain which should pass to the east of us. Miss that and according to the GFS should be dry right to the end of the month here.

Not much more here either, just over 49 mm so far this month and the October average ( for the whole month) is 111mm.

If the remaining days of October produce less than 15 mm it'll be the driest first 10 months of a year since 1975, more than 15mm and it'll be the driest first 10 since 1991.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Pretty sure we're not going to get the driest year ever but very good for the 2nd driest ever which was 2003 with 605.1 mm of rain. The driest of course is 1975 with 521.2 mm

Posted

Woah! that rainband is getting very close to our region.............wonder how it's gonna choose to fizzle out (usually over Brum).

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/