Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept into Oct 2011 Warm Spell Discussion..

conor123

Upcoming warm spell, highest temperature?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the highest temperature recorded?

• 24c
    • 25c
    • 26c
    • 27c
    • 28c+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Another perfect sunny day here with a min of 14.4c last night. 21c at the mo which is 0.7c lower than 24 hours ago.

Hoping we don't get too much cloud around tomorrow as its been painful just sitting in the office with all this sun on only for it to be getting dark when I get home. Be annoying to loose the perfect blue skies just as we finally get chance to get out and enjoy it!

Southerly is such a wonderful wind direction - it just murders the cloud that we have endured so much of this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Say we keep these sort of temperatures going for the first 3 days of October it will be intersting to see where the CET stands after that. I would guess the average up to the 3rd would be something like 12c so theres the possibility we could be running 6 or 7c above average.

Here its another beautiful start with plentiful sunshine. Just about to reach the 20c mark.

Posted

My gosh the temperature is flying up today, 27c maybe? going out to enjoy it now i've got chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Another perfect sunny day here with a min of 14.4c last night. 21c at the mo which is 0.7c lower than 24 hours ago.

Hoping we don't get too much cloud around tomorrow as its been painful just sitting in the office with all this sun on only for it to be getting dark when I get home. Be annoying to loose the perfect blue skies just as we finally get chance to get out and enjoy it!

Southerly is such a wonderful wind direction - it just murders the cloud that we have endured so much of this summer.

Agree there- I often welcome a good southerly blast even in winter (anyone remember the 8th-20th February 2008?). The airmass tends to be both dry (continental) and warm (originating a long way south) and thus represents the most reliable bet at warm sunshine, except for limited areas of the country (perhaps some south-facing coasts and some western parts where a SE'ly with a southerly source may be optimal).

It's got above 19C at Cleadon already and shooting up after being just 14.3 at 9:15am, so chances of making 25C again like we just did yesterday here. Tomorrow looking rather less promising with that band of rain very close on the latest GFS run which at the very least may mean cloudier conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It's been lovely. I've been sunbathing in my garden every afternoon with a cool drink and reading a book. If i close my eyes it's almost like I'm on holiday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

1100 Met Office hotspots

24.7c Gravesend (SE England)

24.1c Trawsgoed (Wales)

23.8c Woodford (NW England)

23.4c Rhyl (Wales), Pershore (W Midlands)

23.2c Weybourne (E England)

23.0c Bedford (E England)

22.9c Church Lawford (W Midlands), Coleshill (W Midlands), Nottingham Watnall (E Midlands), Northolt (London)

--

Relatively warm start again - around the same as yesterday. Usual highs in the usual places, Doncaster and Central London will also be in there but are not on the Met Office observations live site. 28C in Gravesend to occur today imo.

Posted

Already up to 26.1C here and with around 3 hours left until the temperature reaches its peak, 29C is very possible!

Posted

1100 Met Office hotspots

Beating European locations such as Gibraltar, Ibiza, Las Palmas, Malaga and Seville!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/europelatest.html

eastbourne_beach_03.jpg

d030.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

1100 Met Office hotspots

24.7c Gravesend (SE England)

24.1c Trawsgoed (Wales)

23.8c Woodford (NW England)

23.4c Rhyl (Wales), Pershore (W Midlands)

23.2c Weybourne (E England)

23.0c Bedford (E England)

22.9c Church Lawford (W Midlands), Coleshill (W Midlands), Nottingham Watnall (E Midlands), Northolt (London)

--

Relatively warm start again - around the same as yesterday. Usual highs in the usual places, Doncaster and Central London will also be in there but are not on the Met Office observations live site. 28C in Gravesend to occur today imo.

Your joking? This is the last day of September, 'exceptionally warm' more like!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The hi-rest NNM model is showing a lot more cloud moving SE for tomorrow. Not liking the sound of this as I finally want to enjoy the sun after just sitting in a baking office all week!

25.6c here now - 1c up on yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Who would've thought on the last day of September at 12:35 pm the temperature would be 24.9C..

Posted

1200 Met Office hotspots

27.3c Gravesend (SE England)

slight taster - amazing!

Just down the road from medirol.gif

Is the Uv high enough to burn today?

Posted

After the cooler start the temperature has caught up and is now warmer than this point yesterday when we missed out on the September record by 0.4C.

Its now 25.3C with 64% humidity.

One thing Ive noticed is how ridiculously warm the house is getting as the sun is so low in the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like the sea breezes are kicking in a little at Cleadon as the temperature is down to 22.0C following an earlier high of 22.8. Neil Bradshaw at South Shields has got no higher than 21.2 with a SSE wind which also supports this.

Posted

One thing Ive noticed is how ridiculously warm the house is getting as the sun is so low in the sky.

Very much the same thing in this office. Low sun means it covers more of the room for longer. Boiling in here.

At home however the low sun can't reach us as the tall trees & buildings prevent it keeping the place almost too cool!

26.2c so now beaten yesterdays 26.1c.

Posted

Is the Uv high enough to burn today?

Not sure about where you are Lauren, but in Eastbourne:

post-6667-0-07052900-1317386436.jpg

Currently 22.6 DgC on the cooler Sussex coast which is just under yesterdays 22.9 DgC max set later in the afternoon.

post-6667-0-07052900-1317386436_thumb.jp

Posted

So what UV would you burn in. I'm in NW Kent.

On a separate note, did you all know this hot weather we're having is the result of weather machines controlled by media corporations?rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

On a separate note, did you all know this hot weather we're having is the result of weather machines controlled by media corporations?rofl.gif

That depends entirely on skin colour, time spent in the sun, the time of day, if your skin has seen much sun over the summer (ie. if it is prepared for sun exposure) and a whole load of other factors. Its really not something that can be answered categorically but for me, coming from New Zealand where the sun is far more intense, the UV today (of up to 3) definitely isn't anything to worry about, especially given that we're coming out of summer. I don't usually worry about the UV until it gets to around 5+ and I'm spending hours in it directly. Could well be a completely different case for someone who burns more easily and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people get burnt today if they were out in the sun for, say, more than 3 hours.

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted

Because of variations in the intensity of UV radiation passing through the atmosphere, the risk of sunburn increases with proximity to the tropic latitudes, located between 23.5° north and south latitude. All else being equal (e.g., cloud cover,ozone layer, terrain, etc.), over the course of a full year, each location within the tropic or polar regions receives approximately the same amount of UV radiation. In the temperate zones between 23.5° and 66.5°, UV radiation varies by latitude. The higher the latitude, the lower the intensity of the UV rays. On a minute-by-minute basis, the amount of UV radiation is dependent on the angle of the sun. This is easily determined by the height ratio of any object to the size of itsshadow. The greatest risk is at solar noon, when shadows are at their minimum and the sun's radiation passes more directly through the atmosphere. Regardless of one's latitude (assuming no other variables), equal shadow lengths mean equal amounts of UV radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunburn

post-6667-0-45689700-1317388136.jpg

The Meto Office UV forecast is here:

post-6667-0-79908500-1317388255.jpg

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_uv.html

post-6667-0-45689700-1317388136_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-79908500-1317388255_thumb.jp

Posted

Thanks for that!

Posted

Thanks for that!

Just wear a hat......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I would have thought the UV levels would be slightly higher More like 3-4? Very high temps and no need to worry about burning - even better!

Edited by Liam J