Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept into Oct 2011 Warm Spell Discussion..

conor123

Upcoming warm spell, highest temperature?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the highest temperature recorded?

• 24c
    • 25c
    • 26c
    • 27c
    • 28c+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

As we start a new day, which stations are off and running? Some of the big players are still shrouded in mist or still quite cool after a clearer night, so won't appear until late morning.

0700 Hotspots (Met Office)

19.0C Skye Lusa (W Isles)

18.5C Altnaharra (Highlands)

18.2C Keswick (NW England)

18.0C Trawsgoed (Wales)

17.7C Carlisle (NW England)

17.6C Lossiemouth (NE Scotland), Prestwick (W Scotland)

17.5C Tulloch Bridge (Highland)

17.4C Kinloss (NE Scotland)

--

Only space for nine as 17.2C has 4 entries. All the spots that I have just shown are cloudy, apart from Trawsgoed, in Wales, I expect 26C to be breached not only there but in many spots.

Potential Hotspots (Met Office)

13.9C Gravesend (SE England)

12.9C Heathrow (London)

11.4C Northolt (London)

12.9C Pershore (W Mids)

11.8C Shawbury (W Mids)

12.5C Linton-on-Ouse (Yorks and Humber)

1000 Hotspots (Met Office)

21.4C Rhyl (Wales)

21.0C Woodford (NW England), Gravesend (SE England)

20.9C Weybourne (E England)

20.6C Trawsgoed (Wales), Marham (E England)

20.5C Sennybridge (Wales), Wattisham (E England)

20.4C Edinburgh Gogarbank (SW Scotland), Pershore (W Midlands)

--

Now, we get a clearer picture - getting ready for a boiling day! Edinburgh is cloudy and shouldn't rise much. Wales, Eastern England and Gravesend are the big guns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Once again higher temperatures in the west.. carbon copy of yesterday, I fully expect the temperatures here and across the east of England to rise rapidly in an hour or so, already a degree rise in 10 minutes.

Posted

Currently 17.9C at my local weather station in Thatcham at 1039 after an overnight low of 11.5 at 0643. We reached close to 25C in the Thames Valley yesterday I reckon a gnats' whisker more today, maybe 25.4. I reckon Pershore for the hotspot today just under the date record at 27.3C

Posted

Aisling Creevey, a forecaster with MeteoGroup, said: "The rest of this week should see pretty much wall-to-wall sunshine, although Northern Ireland and parts of western Scotland may see heavy rain on Friday and over the weekend. Next week is likely to see temperatures start to drop off a little, but they will still be slightly above average." The end-of-season turnabout to a largely dismal weather pattern since May is expected to see the current record high for September of 27.8C broken several days running, with London predicted to have the hottest spells. The warm break repeats an early autumn sequence seen in three of the last five years, but the Meteorological Office then expects things to change.

Forecasters of weather indicators such as the current rich crop of holly and other berries predict an unusually cold late autumn followed by a bitter winter comparable to last year's. Sledges, scarves and boots are therefore in the big stores' order books, along with the last-minute attempt to shift more summery goods. Neil Whelpton of Waitrose's buying department said that doubling-up of buns, sausages, sauce and wine had gone side-by-side with 50% higher orders for tonic water, to make G&Ts, 15% more beer and cider and 80% more burgers, including a one-off eight-pack prepared just for the coming weekend. He said: "We're preparing for Saturday and Sunday's mini heatwave by beefing up supplies."

The warm weather has crowned a good season for conkers before the World Conker Championships held on the second Sunday in October at Oundle, Northamptonshire. The Campaign for Real Conkers said August's wet weather had swelled the fruit on horse chestnuts and the mini-heatwave was finishing the job. The warmth has not done away with that other traditional feature of the UK summer, flood alerts, which were posted by the Environment Agency for low-lying parts of the north Cornwall and Devon coast because of exceptionally high tides. The area included resorts such as St Ives and Perranporth which are laying out their stalls for packed weekend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/28/indian-summer-retailers-cash-in?newsfeed=true

c030.gif

Posted

How typical of a newspaper to mislead its readers. 27.8C represents a date record and not the record temperature does it not?

Once again higher temperatures in the west.. carbon copy of yesterday, I fully expect the temperatures here and across the east of England to rise rapidly in an hour or so, already a degree rise in 10 minutes.

we have just had a 0.6 rise in temps here in the last 10 mins too, suspect a lot more places into the low 70s now

Posted

How typical of a newspaper to mislead its readers. 27.8C represents a date record and not the record temperature does it not?

I'm not quite sure what they are saying in that bit of the article? cc_confused.gif

Bet you can't stop singing this today after a few minutes playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHD5Ho14xjM

Posted

I'm not quite sure what they are saying in that bit of the article? cc_confused.gif

Bet you can't stop singing this today after a few minutes playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHD5Ho14xjM

I get enough earworms from people at work and on facebook and now this! If you want to go there Coast I have some real corkers up my sleeve..

Back on topic we have had a 1.3C rise in temps here in the last 20 mins so full steam ahead towards the mid to late 70s farenheit in Sunny Newbury.

Posted

Here is an incredible image from nasa, high pressure most intense showing the widescale clear blue skies.

post-11361-0-90637300-1317257405_thumb.j

Whats notable about that picture is how brown eastern parts of the UK look. It just shows the effects of such little rain this year in those areas.

The temperature is rising quickly here, already at 21.2C. Theres a good chance the September record of 27.1C at this site could be breached today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Norwich the hot spot so far. 25c already at 11.30.

Posted

Will the cloud around on Saturday / Sunday help cement a new maximum temp record ?

post-10554-0-11709000-1317296121_thumb.g

By next Wednesday not looking too flash harry

post-10554-0-08959600-1317296150_thumb.g

Edited by Buzzit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

post-10773-0-17970600-1317296973.jpg

Temperature 24.1 °C

Heat Index 25 °C

Dew Point 17 °C

Wind

Speed / Dir 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s fromSSE

Wind Gust 9.7 km/h

Conditions Scorchio !!!

Pressure 1024.9 hPa

Clouds Clear

Moisture

Humidity 63%

Rainfall 0 mm

Fantastic day here, the garden furniture is back out of the shed and the BBQ will be fired up later - long may it last..it would be nice of winter to hold back and let us enjoy this for just a little bit longer after such a lousy summer !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

1200 Met Office hotspots

25.5C Nottingham Watnall (E Mids)

25.2C Weybourne (E England), Northolt (London)

24.8C Waddington (E Mids), Heathrow (London)

24.6C Coleshill (W Mids), Marham (E England), Gravesend (SE England)

24.4C Pershore (W Mids), Wattisham (E England)

Posted

Want to feel good about living in the UK this week? Places like Gibraltar, Istanbul, Budapest and Tel Aviv are only just creeping up to what we have currently, with the best of the updated UK max temps only really beaten by places like Rhodes at 27 DgC (so close) Majorca at 28 DgC and Seville at 31 DgC.

Even Las Palmas (where I fancy I may be this time next week wink.png ) is at 29 DgC which may be in reach in the next day or two! d015.gif

Posted

Plenty of places now the other side of 27 DgC with the hottest so far being Northolt at 27.7 DgC followed by Watnall at 27.6 DgC!

post-6667-0-30727200-1317305379.jpg

Posted

27.2C here.. the temperature has leveled out a bit now

Posted

Yep, Netweather has some even higher temps:

post-6667-0-55602300-1317305557.jpg

post-6667-0-30727200-1317305379_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-55602300-1317305557_thumb.jp

Posted

I am (un)surprised at the popularity of this thread, perhaps record max temps are not so much in vogue!

I like all extremes, hot or cold. (mostly cold though) wink.pngtongue.png

Posted

GFS shows widespread ground frost on the 6th. That would be amazing after 27C today.

Posted

Good grief the hottest day of the year here today, on the 29th September on all days!, 26.6c has been reached! previous warmest was 26.2c on 27th June.

AMAZING weather, cloudless skies, caught the sun, only come inside now because our house is so high that at this time of year theres no sun in the garden after 3 unfortunately lol!

Time for a nice walk i think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It has reached the big 25.0 at Cleadon today- not approaching the UK's highest temperatures, but still pretty remarkable for Cleadon considering that it is just two miles inland from the Tyne and Wear coast. Even Boulmer (coastal and much further up the Northumberland coast) is reading 23.3C at the moment according to the Met Office.