Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept into Oct 2011 Warm Spell Discussion..

conor123

Upcoming warm spell, highest temperature?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the highest temperature recorded?

• 24c
    • 25c
    • 26c
    • 27c
    • 28c+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well another baking day in the office but not so now I'm home... Because of the low sun angle and the tall houses/trees around us my living room has remained below 21c all day and on going upstairs I don't hit a wall of heat like I do in high summer (quickly vented once windows are opened).

In fact coming home & opening all my windows is warming the place up! My courtyard is cooler too as none of the black tiles have had any sunlight so it doesn't feel warm on your feet like it would in June.

This may be a lovely weather spell but it still does not feel like high summer!

26.1c max here now dropping fast currently 21.8c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Wow 27C still sounds quite amazing.

Yes September 2006 was very warm in the UK being the warmest September on record for the CET (Central England Temperature). I'm not sure if the UK average was the warmest on record as well or not.

Huh? 29c was reached in a few spots today so how can you think 27c sounds amazing?

The centre of London was around 25/26c at 6:30 this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A cooler day today with temps maxing around 20-21c when yesterday it reached 24.6c.

Much better for sleeping tonight currently 15.3c - this time last night it was 20c with an overnight min of 17c by dawn.

A pretty special spell of weather for this stage in the year.

Posted

evening all,

apparently saturday and sunday temps in the Paris area may be a touch down than today and friday but still a chance of breaking record (forecasted at 27 to 29 c ).yesterday and today we missed it really close .Yesterday we had 28.4c .today just got the hourly max but we may be a bit more than that ( against 28.8 in 1895 and tomorrow the daily record is 28.2c still famous month in 1895.So same temp tomorrow and we have a record.

at 22hours latest update we were at 21.5c

Numerous daily records broken most of them in Normandy and north west . where is it likiest in uk to have records?

Posted

Yesterday was the highest max of the year, today is the highest mean temp of the year and highest night minimum of the year, not bad for 2 days in late septemer, or maybe just showing how poor the summer really was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Today should (should) be warmer today than yesterday, and Saturday is also looking very warm (if not a bit cloudier than recent days). October record, here we come.

Posted

Huh? 29c was reached in a few spots today so how can you think 27c sounds amazing?

The centre of London was around 25/26c at 6:30 this evening.

Sorry I meant 27C still at about 7pm (can't remember exact time) when it was getting dark in Paris sounded amazing, not an absolute max of 27C. I probably should have been clearer.

Mind you it would be here due to the Channel to our south as it's pretty hard to get heat without a southerly flow or a set up that would allow sea breezes here at this time of year.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Another cracking start with another great day in prospect!

gallery_6667_973_21568.jpg

gallery_6667_973_10114.jpg

gallery_6667_973_6193.jpg

gallery_6667_973_69171.jpg

Isn't this Autumn fantastic?! clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

28.8C at Kew Gardens on the 28th. Date record!

St James Park, London at 28.5C. Northolt reached 28.5C. Coleshill 28.4C and Gravesend-Broadness finished at a max of 28.3C.

drinks.gif Scorchio!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking good for another hot sunny day in Cleadon too with the southerly continuing to do a good job of fending off those sea breezes. I'm not sure if tomorrow will be as hot here as the southerly airstream will have slackened off by then which might allow those sea breezes to penetrate further inland (yesterday they were strongly confined to the coastal fringe). I went out for a walk yesterday afternoon to make the most of it.

I note that the BBC forecasters aren't entirely consistent in their use of value judgements (not that I'm a fan of those anyway!) as I've seen a couple describing the current weather as "gorgeous" yet I've also seen similar conditions described as "uncomfortable" but with "welcome" sea breezes around the coasts. As it happens, I've lived in both camps over the years- when I was in my teens I'd have been in the "weclome sea breezes" camp but today I live in the "gorgeous" camp due to the rise in my heat tolerance thresholds.

I am also quite appreciating the slight haze and high cloud around here as it adds more interest than there would be on a day with a 100% blue sky and 100% visibility- particularly at sunrise and sunset when it creates some vivid colours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Doncaster will take the record today, and break the one tomorrow.

Shame Sunday will see a return to cooler conditions, although high pressure may rebuild around the 8th.

26C has been the max here. 17.9C currently!

Posted

Current temps showing a little more warmth in the South this morning and that hot spot over Wales:

post-6667-0-10339200-1317371520.jpg

post-6667-0-10339200-1317371520_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

18.3c in my garden west Norwich at 9.30 am, tho seems to more haze to the sunshine this morning than the last two days, so not looking for the high of 27c we had yesterday, poss 25c today, we shall see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm hoping the band of cloud and rain gets stalled out west as it could spoil things drastically this afternoon over NW England, Can't complain about the last 3/4 days truely stunning weather to end September.

Posted

If only it was the height of summer, we'd be seeing remarkable temps. Though, for the time of year, these temps are remarkable! Never have I known Blackpool to be so hot this late in the year!

Posted

If only it was the height of summer, we'd be seeing remarkable temps. Though, for the time of year, these temps are remarkable! Never have I known Blackpool to be so hot this late in the year!

I'm 100% happy with what we've got and I think 2011 will be remembered for this Autumn weather rather than the Summer weather in terms of heat and sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Going by the Meto it looked like things would quite quickly cool off South of Manchester on Sunday. This now doesnt look like happening till Tuesday! :D

A little more cloud from tomorrow but loads of sun and +24c expected here for another 4 days yet. :D

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

What a phenomenal Autumn heatwave!

Coventry reached 27.6c yesterday which was the highest reading in 'late September' since 1895:

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/

The city's October record of 27.1c is looking extremely shaky too.

This spell is on par with last November/ December and this April for extreme temperature significance.

A list of official max. temps for selected stations.

http://www.met.readi...pmextremes.html

Roger's predictions, as expected, are proving well under for Wales, those maps you showed a few days back had maxima of just 23c for Cardiff and 18c (!) for Aberporth on the coast.

I have 3 days off to enjoy!acute.gif

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

We're a little behind yesterday's temperature today due to a cooler night, but its catching up fast. Already up to 18.2C. The wind is SSE at the moment which is keeping those sea breezes at bay for now. It'd be nice if they could keep off and allow the record to go.

Its another completely clear day though, the third in succession.

Posted

The beach, sunbathing and a dip in the sea in October in Wales!!