Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

29th November - 6th December 2011 Atlantic Storms

Posted

The front has just passed through north west London. 10 minutes of torrential and near horizontal rain and some gusty winds. That was it. To be honest I wasnt expecting much more anyway. Good call by those who predicted it some time ago though.

Posted

A woman has been taken to hospital after what has been described as a "tornado" struck part of Greater Manchester.

_57011890_tornado.jpg

A sudden gust of wind toppled a chimney in Heaton Moor near Stockport at about 1430 GMT. The woman was taken to Stepping Hill Hospital with shock and cuts and bruises, said a fire service spokesman. There are also reports of wind damage in Blackburn, Lancashire.

Dave Ashton, 38, from Heaton Mersey was in his computer shop at Moor Top on Heaton Moor Lane when he witnessed what appeared to be a "brief tornado"."It went almost pitch black," he said. "The wind suddenly turned up about 20 notches to the point when it became quite frightening. "It felt like you were in the middle of a hurricane and then it all died down and outside you could just hear car alarms."

It was very frightening actually," said Mr Ashton. "I know a lot of the shop owners and people were quiet shaken up." Heaton Moor Road has been closed between Green Lane and Moorside Road. Another resident Eleanor Hirst, 38, who lives on Green Lane was just about to leave the house with her son.

"It looked like a scene out of Wizard of Oz," she said. "The sky went black and I saw it all whirling around. "It was as if you could see the wind itself. It was going around and round. It doesn't surprise me that it was a tornado. "It was like something that you've never seen before."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-15948258

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Bucketing down with rain here now but absolutely no wind whatsoever, just goes to show another example of the BBC forecasts getting it spectacularly wrong considering they said the strongest winds would arrive when the rain did.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

We've only had a shower, I hope that wasn't it.

Posted

It would be interesting to see if any site investigations in Darwen and Breighton pick up on any tornadic damage. Looking at the damage pics in Stockport I can say imho this was more a case of localised SLW, possibly exacerbated by a brief downdraught. Than anything Tornadic in nature..the damage pattern doesn't fit and I can see how easily the Public may have *thought* it was a Tornado especially when the front came suddenly and without warning, giving these convective bursts that would have attributed to the fallen chimney that caused one to be injured.

Even a small tornado would be trackable on the ground, yet the only damage seen is within this row of shops.

Posted

Tornado's in Stockport crickey it has been an eventful day! :) Hopefully this will make the 6 o'clock news

Posted

Im allways hesitant in believing these reports.

I think the damage was more likely due to a cloud burst or just a really strong gust of wind. People do tend to exagerate what they saw and probably don't know the difference between a hurricane and a tornado.

Posted
It would be interesting to see if any site investigations in Darwen and Breighton pick up on any tornadic damage. Looking at the damage pics in Stockport I can say imho this was more a case of localised SLW, possibly exacerbated by a brief downdraught. Than anything Tornadic in nature..the damage pattern doesn't fit and I can see how easily the Public may have *thought* it was a Tornado especially when the front came suddenly and without warning, giving these convective bursts that would have attributed to the fallen chimney that caused one to be injured. Even a small tornado would be trackable on the ground, yet the only damage seen is within this row of shops.

Agreed. SLW is so often misreported as tornadic. That's not to rule the latter out - but these things are often reported uncritically....

Posted

According to the radar the heavy stuff is supposed to be above me right now.

It's as dry as a bone!

Posted

It was pretty rough when the front passed through this afternoon (horizontal rain sounds about right), though there was a lull in the wind right after it passed.

Glad I didn;t have to venture out today to be honest.

Posted

Well we have had absolutely nothing more than a shower, not even windy.

I know it wasn't supposed to be much, but I though it's be more than that!

Posted

Abit of an anti-climax after the winds building up all day as soon as the rain arrived it seemed to fall calm in terms of the wind, a dissapointing end to what was looking quite promising if you luv strong winds like me, the most we got was 44mph around 3 o'clock which isn't too bad going I suppose but they where hinting at 55-60mph when the rain arrived and it never happened :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well I think it has been pretty active down here in the SouthWest. I actually had my most strongest wind recording yet on my weather station which was 41mph, bearing in mind that this is in the garden and only 21ft up! There were quite a few twigs and a couple of small branches down from what I could see when I wen't outside to take a look.

I am certainly not dissapointed, it was only supposed to be gale force gusts today anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A very active day of weather here in Cumbria today, severe gale force southerly winds with a max gust of 64.7mph, torrential rain & hail as the cold front was passing through and also a steep drop in temperature occurred on the back of the front, from 11c down to 6.5c in a short space of time.

Still very windy now with westerly winds touching 50mph or so in gusts, round two tomorrow with gales or severe gales Wednesday evening for NW UK.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Looks like Yeovilton managed a 56mph gust today which is strong considering that the station is inland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

After all this mild weather we've been having this Autumn, I must say that today here in Gloucestershire was a lot more exciting then of late! Quite a rough windy day was had and plenty of rain thrown in. The sky did look very thundery at one stage, very dark! but all that happened was a shower that passed over rather quickly as the winds eventually eased off around 3pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

GFS & NAE 18z runs continue to predict a spell of severe gales perhaps even storm force winds through the North Irish sea coastal areas tomorrow evening along with heavy rainfall. The depression intensifies and tracks close to N Scotland giving very stormy conditions during Wednesday night.

I would expect warnings will be issued by tomorrow for this event with gusts possibly over 70mph.

post-9615-0-36469900-1322604161_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-95453000-1322605016_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

18z has started now so for the Wednesday and Thursday windy spell nothing really has changed on the 18z still looking like severe gales over most of Scotland with Northern parts seeing the worst. But I think now Southern Scotland and Northern England can expect some gales of severe gales during this time period as well. As the system moves further north it will strengthen even more it looks like storm force winds for Shetland and Faroe islands again which took a battering a week ago and has a lot of damage already.

For the Saturday and Sunday low way up North the GFS keeps it in the same place and downgrades it by a touch. Despite this it's still looking rather windy for the Northern UK.

And finally for the Sunday and Monday low its back on the 18z.

And it's looking windy for England although not stormy or hurricane like what we had last night.

But as it leaves the UK it shows what it did 24 hours ago and gets deeper and the worst of the winds will head into Europe.

That's me for the night hope I've explained it well for those who can't read charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

GFS - 18z is back on with the storm for sunday/monday, it certainly wants to take a direct hit across southern England one way or another,

11120418_2_2918.gif

The chances are there is likely to be some rough weather to rock the boats!

What i think is GFS is indicating a deep low pressure system, its not sure how or when other interactions come into play with it, expect some ups and downs over the runs but one thing i dont expect is for a no show.

mondays 18z,

11120418_2_2818.gif

todays 18z below,

11120418_2_2918.gif

both sunday 1800hrs

Posted

warnings out here for thursday for us.

Issued at - 29 Nov 2011, 11:45

Valid from - 01 Dec 2011, 00:05

Valid to - 01 Dec 2011, 18:00

Southerly gales will develop during Wednesday evening reaching severe gale overnight. Winds will become northwesterly by Thursday morning with severe gales continuing during the day and may reach storm force for a time across the far north of Scotland and Orkney. As a result of the very strong winds, the public should be prepared for travel disruption

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

GFS-18z-sunday 1200hrs

11120412_2_2918.gif

1800hrs

11120418_2_2918.gif

Fax is 1200hrs.

cant under estimate the potential development here

look at the surface pressure at 1200hrs sunday with the jet!

gives it kick!

11120412_2_2918.gif

blast of cold on the back edge of the storm..

528!

11120418_2_2918.gif