Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Video from earlier today when i drove from Grindleford back home to Dronfield just goes to show the difference a few hundred feet make and excuse my cursing at another driver lol half way through as i nearly got stuck on the hill :rofl:

Ah the Fox House road. The old Hanley-Sheffield bus used to take that route. Used to go on it during the winter for the excitement between Leek & Buxton & then Fox House. They changed the route to go from Buxton to Bakewell & then Sheffield, now it just goes Hanley-Buxton. Shame.

Edited by davehsug

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A cold start to the day here...A hard frost last night, plenty of ice around and temps just about breaking the freezing mark...Looks like an active system will pass through our region over the next 24 hours giving some heavy rain at times, then the possibilities of some very stormy weather on tuesday/wednesday with severe gales & heavy rain with the chance the squally wintry showers in the PM air, then models are suggesting the chance of a very deep area of low pressure sweeping across the country into next weekend giving potentially damaging winds, heavy rain, and possibilities of snow on higher elevations with a potent N/NW setting up afterwards increasing the risk of snow to all levels...Again, must be stressed that this is subject to computer modelling, but never the less, an exciting time this week for weather fans, with everything including the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A complete snow cover 3cm deep here which looks as though it will last all day as it's a quiet, cold and mainly cloudy day so far.

Whether or not it will last the night, with rain forecast by tomorrow morning, is another matter.

As AJPS says, a very interesting week coming up and, if the 00z ECM is correct, possibly a historical one in this area.

Posted

Indeed, have to say I'm really looking forward to the week ahead.There's no doubt in my mind that December is turning into the most exciting month of 2011 here in the West Midlands. Was good to get a proper hard frost last night with frozen puddles. A proper winter's frost at last!

Here we go then....the next round of storms will almost be upon us! Please keep this thread open for another week so we can discuss them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes, the British Isles are due to be attacked big time this week by Low pressure. :) Still looks possible for some sleet/wet snow mid week before a more bigger chance later in the week. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my elevation too low, bring back high pressure, preferably of course with freezing fog/hoar frost/rime

Posted

My elevation is too low as well...but I'm only a mile or two away from higher places. And as Blizzards observed yesterday, the sleet did get right down to Stourbridge.

Would be nice to see the Clents turn white soon. I love the way they stick out like a sore thumb everytime I look towards to the south when it's raining here but it's been snowing up there. They always go first during mariginal situations.

We'll have to wait for proper deep cold down here in Wordsley before we can get any proper snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

That's a very clever barometer!

Official stations in the central Midlands are mostly below 1c.

LOL, yeah, that would be one clever barometer wouldn't it.I really shouldn't post after consuming a couple of glasses of Baileys Irish Cream. In fact, the reading came from a very old mercury thermometer ( it was my grandad's). It is in a shelter position in the yard, though I can't swear to its accuracy, it has always been pretty reliable.

I'm without my weather station, it's still on the boat, I'll have to fetch it back.

Edited by chapmanraven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looking forward to this week comming....Lots of optimism on the board

Looks like my eastern skies are going to keep clear for this afternoons full moon(4.PM).

Should be nice and orange rising low on my city centre horizon

Heres the best bit of last Thursdays time lapse..... shortened and enhanced

( thank you ISSAC and Gord for the thumbs up)

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Yep were in for yet another wild week ahead,Thumbs up for the time lapse capture Arnie btw,That said the squall line looked better on the previous video than the edited version but great anyway.

Posted

Cheers GS

Possibly off-topic but here tonights moonrise

(at least it shows a NWest flow to the clouds :unknw: )

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Cheers GS

Possibly off-topic but here tonights moonrise

(at least it shows a NWest flow to the clouds :unknw: )

Wonderful video, and a wonderful moonrise this afternoon.

It was enormous on the horizon.......wish I'd have had my camera!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I have a feeling midweek may surprise some. Thickness's between Tuesday to Thursday hovering around 524-526 Dam with Dewpoints marginal but often around 0 to -2c. However Elevation will be key this week. Wet Bulb temperature looks very marginal though. Perhaps Sleet down to 100m in heavier bursts and wet snow above about 200 may be 300m. Conditions in the East Midlands are even more marginal than the West Midlands though.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

If the GFS 18z came off here in the Midlands, next Friday morning it would be raining Christmas trees and lights (blown away from everyone's houses!) with gusts well over 70-80mph. The low is likely to be shifted North but if not, potentially the most damaging winds in many many years.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

If the GFS 18z came off here in the Midlands, next Friday morning it would be raining Christmas trees and lights (blown away from everyone's houses!) with gusts well over 70-80mph. The low is likely to be shifted North but if not, potentially the most damaging winds in many many years.

Lol - just think of all the parents able to point to all the Santas flying past their windows and say to their kids 'see, I told you Santa was real'! :)

Posted

:lol: Plus, who will need normal snow when flashing snowflakes actually may fall.

On a serious note though, If things come as per 18z GFS I think there could be a fair bit of Damage across the region, particularly as were so not used to nay wind like that. Very rare imo if it does come off. A close eye needs to be kept on this. If such gusts are still shown by Wednesday then I would be getting rather concerned.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Some heavy cells heading into fhe South of the area ATM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

:lol: Plus, who will need normal snow when flashing snowflakes actually may fall.

On a serious note though, If things come as per 18z GFS I think there could be a fair bit of Damage across the region, particularly as were so not used to nay wind like that. Very rare imo if it does come off. A close eye needs to be kept on this. If such gusts are still shown by Wednesday then I would be getting rather concerned.

Indeed... when did this region last have winds of that magnitude, I wonder? At least here in Worcs, the 1987 storm wasn't actually all that bad, certainly compared with further SE. I can't remember how strong the winds were in the Burns Night Storm in 1990; I think flooding was the major concern in England rather than gusts.

Posted

Indeed... when did this region last have winds of that magnitude, I wonder? At least here in Worcs, the 1987 storm wasn't actually all that bad, certainly compared with further SE. I can't remember how strong the winds were in the Burns Night Storm in 1990; I think flooding was the major concern in England rather than gusts.

We had a bad storm here in about 2003 or thereabouts, it hit everyone by surprise in Warwickshire with justs of up to 70mph.

We lost all of one side of our garden fence and a few tiles and across the road lost some chimney pots.

The house was shaking the whole time and it's genuinely one of the only times that weather in the midlands has frightened me.

And now we have TWO storms that will probably be as bad withing 2 days of each other!!!

The second storm is still looking the worst, if it verifies, we'll easily see gusts of 60-70mph!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!
:shok: just woke up and checked the 0z to see 81 mph gusts on friday for nottingham. If that pulls off I will need to change my avatar to say "The land of no buildings" instead of "the land of no weather" I seriously doubt that will come off though. Im just happy to have some weather going on this week instead of the same boring crap we've had all autumn!

Posted

I think looking at the gfs charts theres the potential of some snowfall that could suprise a few over the next week, anytime between tuesday evening and midday thursday. Just need some luck regarding precip but with the strength of the wind any showers that do get going could easily reach quite far inland. The bbc also mention the chance of wintry showers for that time period aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I think looking at the gfs charts theres the potential of some snowfall that could suprise a few over the next week, anytime between tuesday evening and midday thursday. Just need some luck regarding precip but with the strength of the wind any showers that do get going could easily reach quite far inland. The bbc also mention the chance of wintry showers for that time period aswell.

I missed the forecast. I really hope the wind misses us, but I would love some snow.

Posted

I doubt there will be any wintryness here this week just because yet again the wind direction will be to westerly and it will probably end up around 5/6c by day rather than the 3/4c currently shown anyway...

Posted

Well, the most tame of this week's systems is currently passing through, a dark and wet afternoon in progress.

Looking at the radar, there is some very heavy rain over South Wales right now heading this way. It feels very raw out there, even though the actual air temperatures are at around average for the time of year.

As for the week ahead, the obvious headline will be the winds. I'm with Conor about the snow prospects...however, as I said yesterday, I do have a hunch that there could be a surprise somewhere during the next week. However, snow really won't be the main talking point over the next 5-6 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, the most tame of this week's systems is currently passing through, a dark and wet afternoon in progress.

Looking at the radar, there is some very heavy rain over South Wales right now heading this way. It feels very raw out there, even though the actual air temperatures are at around average for the time of year.

As for the week ahead, the obvious headline will be the winds. I'm with Conor about the snow prospects...however, as I said yesterday, I do have a hunch that there could be a surprise somewhere during the next week. However, snow really won't be the main talking point over the next 5-6 days.

Absolutely agreed, instead, it will be the 'X-Factor' results... :rofl: ...(I'll fetch my coat!..... :crazy: )